PDA

View Full Version : Burning Rubber

MMM2003
10-29-2003, 05:09 PM
Well,

I have heard about it several times now and just had to confirm it myself.
When I first got my 300A in Aug. '02, I wasn't able to put down rubber by just hammering the accelerator, as has been mentioned by many people as a small disappointment, with their new, stock MM.

Going home tonight, I had an opportunity to test this again with 27k miles and moderately worn BFG's in the rear.

Got to the stop sign. Came to a complete stop. Took the right foot off the brake and hammered the accelerator.

Squeallllllllll !!!!!!

Probably got a good 30 ft of rubber. After than I let off and continued on.

Remember; all stock, dry road and 44 degrees outside temp.

Sure is fun, isn't it?

Long Live #3
10-29-2003, 08:33 PM
awww yea!

RCSignals
10-30-2003, 12:09 AM
See. Mercury should have sent cars with that kind of break in mileage to the magazines for review.....

BillyGman
10-30-2003, 12:29 AM
two possible considerations here:

#1. If the outside temp was colder this time around, then that would explain it since the engine will deliver more power in the cold air.
#2. The tires begin to lose their ability to grab after they get a little worn through useage.

I think there's a good possibility that if you bought brand new tires of the same size, and tried this again during a hot summer day, then you would understand what I mean.

MMM2003
10-30-2003, 06:18 AM
I know what you mean Billy, I guess I'll just have to verify that again in the Spring with new shoes. It's going to be hard on me, but I'll sacrifice myself for cthe ommon good of the MM Owner's! :D

Constable
10-30-2003, 10:02 AM
AW, don't ruin his high, Billy! Poor guy had a perma-grin 'cause he lit 'em up bone stock... SHAME ON YOU! Don't worry, I'm happy for you and that's all that matters...

j/k

BillyGman
10-31-2003, 12:00 AM
silly me....always being cerebral. Sorry to burst your bubble......

SergntMac
10-31-2003, 08:57 AM
Don't sweat it Billy, it's a learning curve. Once he comes up against something from the late '60s at a stop light, he'll stop worrying about getting some scratch and start asking us how to get some more grip. It's a phase...

engine23ccvfd
10-31-2003, 09:20 AM
Yep I did the same thing about two weeks ago got all excited, took a quick look at the tires (thought to self tread looks good), came to this site read about the center wear problem, went to look at treads again.......crap crap crap dang near bald in the middle......Actually its kinda cool I am launching every chance I get trying to see if I can smooth the entire tire before the wifes trip to Memphis (she goes to visit Elvis every year with her friends....kinda strange huh)

BillyGman
10-31-2003, 11:46 AM
Elvis aint dead! (:P :P :P )

MAD-3R
10-31-2003, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by BillyGman
Elvis aint dead! (:P :P :P )

He just went home!!

BillyGman
10-31-2003, 12:21 PM
LOL...:coolman: :coolman:

amerikan
10-31-2003, 02:19 PM
speaking of elvis... he makes 40 million anually.. yes...even dead.

jgc61sr2002
10-31-2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by amerikan
speaking of elvis... he makes 40 million annually.. yes...even dead. That's more than he made when he was alive.

TripleTransAm
10-31-2003, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by SergntMac
Once he comes up against something from the late '60s at a stop light, he'll stop worrying about getting some scratch and start asking us how to get some more grip. It's a phase...

...but what a wonderful phase it is!

Earlier during the afternoon last Friday (later that day I pulled my 14.56 on the 1/4), I tried some launches at a local... um... test location (code word for 2 lane blacktop cutting through a forest and is REAL straight and lightly travelled).

Not having my G-tech with me, it was more a matter of judging how well she busted the tires loose. The first launch confirmed that wheelspin was an issue. But as an engineer, I felt I should gather more data. More wheelspin. In order to obtain a good spread of data, I tried a few more launches. More wheelspin. More wheelspin. More wheelspin. Boy, what a guy will do in the interest of science.

More wheelspin. ;)

After about 10 minutes of repeated launching and spinning, I had to pull over and force myself to admit I was just having the time of my life! I hadn't enjoyed wheelspin like that since my days with the old '85 Parisienne (one wheel spin out of the 2.93 open rear, though). Wheelspin in my GTA or WS6 is just too violent to enjoy, and I try not to abuse the '78 too much lest I end up with a GM 10-bolt diff in my back seat.

Childish? Non-conducive to good track times? You bet! :up:

MMM2003
10-31-2003, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by SergntMac
Don't sweat it Billy, it's a learning curve. Once he comes up against something from the late '60s at a stop light, he'll stop worrying about getting some scratch and start asking us how to get some more grip. It's a phase...

Hey Sarge,

been there, done that (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2441&highlight=impala)

New tires with all the grip are for the drag strip. This was just pure old fun. I do realize the worn tires and colder temps made a difference. In May 2003 at Union Grove, I did the same thing off the line and there was no wheel spin. Will see how she does in the spring of 2004 with new shoes!

gilby04
10-31-2003, 08:43 PM
TripleTransAm,

At age 58, this retired engineer has enjoyed that prolonged childish phase that began at age 19 with a 1964 Plymouth Fury 426 Hemi.
Those endless experiments conducted solely for the "interest of science" were, and continue to be, most important for future generations. Don't you agree ?

gilby04

TripleTransAm
11-01-2003, 09:26 AM
We are currently experiencing a sort of heat wave up here, abnormally high temps for the period. As I type, we're on our way to 64F with a very warm sun shining through.

So, the pavement is warm, that's for sure.

Mileage-wise: I'm at just a hair over 10000 miles on the car now, and I can't say my rear tires are too worn. Still plenty of tread left.

So, of course, in the interest of science ( ;) ) I goosed it a couple of times coming back from some Saturday morning shopping. Violent screeching from the rear end.

So, whoever said it might be due to cold temps and worn tires... well, I still stand by my statement that my car has really opened up with the miles on it. Yes, I do believe the car magazines should have been given properly-broken-in units to test.

Interesting side note: I was desperate for a fill up yesterday morning, so I opted for the closest fill (a 91 octane Esso, which is known to give me the best MPG) instead of my recent conversion to 94 octane. I was really surprised how easy it was to make those rear tires scream. Maybe it's that whole "energy per unit quantity" thing that is offsetting the higher octane? Would be interesting to try it at the track.

tomd
11-01-2003, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by TripleTransAm
So, whoever said it might be due to cold temps and worn tires... well, I still stand by my statement that my car has really opened up with the miles on it. Yes, I do believe the car magazines should have been given properly-broken-in units to test.

SO HAS MINE with 10,000 miles on her

Interesting side note: I was desperate for a fill up yesterday morning, so I opted for the closest fill (a 91 octane Esso, which is known to give me the best MPG) instead of my recent conversion to 94 octane. I was really surprised how easy it was to make those rear tires scream. Maybe it's that whole "energy per unit quantity" thing that is offsetting the higher octane? Would be interesting to try it at the track.

I was putting 91 octane in her from Speedway and switched to Shell 93 and she does run faster, if not it sure seems like she does!