PDA

View Full Version : Smog Check Points coming to you next?

dohc324ci
12-03-2009, 01:28 PM
Hey all,

I was pretty shocked to hear the we are now getting reports of Smog check points in California?

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh223/fasterella/DSCN0039-6.jpg

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh223/fasterella/DSCN0038-6.jpg

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh223/fasterella/DSCN0042-10.jpg

Photos taken from SoCal, actual members from my local Mustang Club have reported these smog check points in Sacramento as well! WT!

FordNut
12-03-2009, 01:50 PM
Yeah, I even read somewhere that they have sniffers that check you as you drive by. Then if you're flagged you get to go through the full inspection. Make sure you've got CARB documentation on your stuff, not the "swap back to stock or go see Bubba for a sticker every 2 years" technique.

edit: There's not enough money in the world to make me live in that commie state.

f250dude302
12-03-2009, 02:04 PM
Wow, that's some BS. And i get mad that mass even smog tests 96+newer cars at inspection!

Mr. Man
12-03-2009, 02:05 PM
We have spot check points for Diesel trucks (large not p'ups) but as far as I know no reg. gas. We also have state inspection stations that give you two years on a sticker. It's one year if you go to a private garage.

RR|Suki
12-03-2009, 02:10 PM
edit: There's not enough money in the world to make me live in that commie state.

I hear you on that one

Black bart
12-03-2009, 02:12 PM
Hey Mac!

Most Californians are not Commies! However we do have hair brain idiots in our political infrastructure who make it difficult for us and in the near future for you.

On the plus side we do enjoy benefits of lower environmental hazards!

Fred

BODYMAN
12-03-2009, 02:15 PM
In the Metro St Louis area they used to have perodically on the on ramps to the interstates emisions testing as you drive by, but they have since abolished that. I for one live out in the country so I do not have to do all the smog crap. Just a quick 10min safety inspection. Thank God

FordNut
12-03-2009, 02:17 PM
Hey Mac!

Most Californians are not Commies! However we do have hair brain idiots in our political infrastructure who make it difficult for us and in the near future for you.

Fred

Vote the idiots out! I'm so sick of Pelosi and Boxer it turns my stomach when I hear their names mentioned.

RF Overlord
12-03-2009, 03:07 PM
And i get mad that mass even smog tests 96+newer cars at inspection!No we don't. '96+ are OBD2 and just get the computer check.

Phrog_gunner
12-03-2009, 03:08 PM
Vote the idiots out! I'm so sick of Pelosi and Boxer it turns my stomach when I hear their names mentioned.

That's SENATOR Boxer, to you, she earned it. ;)

Blackened300a
12-03-2009, 03:18 PM
We have spot check points for Diesel trucks (large not p'ups) but as far as I know no reg. gas. We also have state inspection stations that give you two years on a sticker. It's one year if you go to a private garage.

There are DEP cars here in NY that will pull you over and do a random test on Diesel trucks. They are most common in the Hunts point market area. A class 8 diesel engine according to them is allowed to smoke for 3 seconds when accelerating from a dead stop. Most Macks from the early 90's have to be retrofitted with a puff eliminator with is a valve on the intake manifold that takes the boost pressure from the turbo and regulates the rack on the fuel pump. We had to install them on all our older trucks by law. I personally didnt see a difference in the smoke output but it did cut the power down. The modern trucks newer then 1999 have a electric wastegate which regulates the boost and cuts down some of the smoke. Newer trucks went a step further and have a furnace mounted on the side to burn the exhaust emissions. When they fail its almost $15K to replace that unit. I hear they burn so hot that the drivers are using the A/C in the winter.
Right now all trucks have to be inspected once a year for safety and emissions.

swordfish
12-03-2009, 03:27 PM
Originally Posted by FordNut http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?p=834352#post83 4352)

I 2nd that.:mad: I'd move!!

Mark

MrBluGruv
12-03-2009, 03:31 PM
Sometimes I wonder, if there are people that are genuinely afraid that a puff of smoke will literally blow a hole through the atmosphere and kill us all.

I can't begin to comprehend it, this nonsense doesn't compute with me. I really wish someone that is so vehemently anti-emissions of ANY sort could explain to me the rationale that causes them to be violently afraid of them.

f250dude302
12-03-2009, 05:26 PM
No we don't. '96+ are OBD2 and just get the computer check.

Same difference. I'm still going to get porked if i swap in a 427 SBF into an '04 stang. It would be nice to have the freedom to do whatever the ***** i want to my car.

Blown3.8
12-03-2009, 05:50 PM
We have the road side sniffers here in northern VA. I wonder how it works? Cause if I had a car that was non compliant I would shut it off as I roll by.:cool:

gdsqdcr
12-04-2009, 11:14 PM
NJever even heard about that ... so if you pass the roadside test, do you still have to do the annual or bi-annual smog test?

Glockafella
12-04-2009, 11:24 PM
NJever even heard about that ... so if you pass the roadside test, do you still have to do the annual or bi-annual smog test?

Should be a free pass right?

DOUBT IT!

LANDY
12-04-2009, 11:46 PM
im glad i live in florida.
dont take this offensive but, I HATE THREE HUGGERS.
hope you get it worked out in California. good luck
driving V8's and gas guzzlers its an American dream

Bluerauder
12-05-2009, 05:04 AM
Yeah, I even read somewhere that they have sniffers that check you as you drive by.
Virginia has a required emissions inspection every 2 years for counties in congested areas like Northern Virginia, Richmond, and Tidewater (Hampton, Norfolk, VA Beach). It is not required in the more rural areas of the state. Safety inspection is a state-wide annual requirement.

Drive-By "Roadside Sniffers" have been used for about the past 2 years in VA and they generally set up at On Ramps or Exit Ramps from the interstate. I have seen them a couple times. Looks like they are spectroscopy based using infrared/lasers mounted at tailpipe level and aimed at a sensor on the opposite side of the roadway. I suspect that the sniffers are tuned with IR filters to look for specific problem gasses like CO (carbon monoxide).

Pat
01-16-2010, 07:28 AM
Charlie; that reminds me of the fella on the Boston MTA that couldn't get off (song by Kingston Trio). Sniffers on the off ramp and the on ramp, I'm driving in circles, LOL.

DOOM
01-17-2010, 11:36 AM
Man i love living in maryland.

BODYMAN
01-17-2010, 12:28 PM
We have the road side sniffers here in northern VA. I wonder how it works? Cause if I had a car that was non compliant I would shut it off as I roll by.:cool:

Seveal guys I know in the local stang club would do that and I do know of one who recvd a pass cert in the mail explaining that he had been sniffed at a onramp and passed the emmision test. So shutting off when driving by does work.

bob6364
01-17-2010, 12:56 PM
Hey Mac!

Fred

Like most Californians you seem to be brainwashed....you think because you have sunshine and 70 degree weather year round everything must be wonderful ,.... do a simple search of toxic waste or superfund sites in Cali and you will get an eye opener.

bob6364
01-17-2010, 01:05 PM

What? Really? How do they know its you and not some cloud of crap in the air....that unbielevable ...its only a matter of time before CT and Ma gets theirs...especially if the politicians smell revenue!

69428SCJ
01-17-2010, 01:16 PM
Wow, seeing this makes me really glad that even though I live in this state (only temporarily) that my cars remain registered in OHIO!