PDA

View Full Version : T-Bird questions

MERCMAN
12-06-2009, 01:07 PM
I am considering trading my Blackwood for a '03 T-bird. The Blackwood has 40K on the clock. The T-birds seem to be holding value much better than than the truck. Only 3200 Blackwoods were produced and the T-bird I am considering is only one of 117 produced in that color. The wife likes the bird and I really don't need 2 trucks. This will be a pleasure car only, not a DD. Any late model T-Bird owners out there?

Merc-O-matic
12-06-2009, 02:30 PM
:burnout:
I am considering trading my Blackwood for a '03 T-bird. The Blackwood has 40K on the clock. The T-birds seem to be holding value much better than than the truck. Only 3200 Blackwoods were produced and the T-bird I am considering is only one of 117 produced in that color. The wife likes the bird and I really don't need 2 trucks. This will be a pleasure car only, not a DD. Any late model T-Bird owners out there?

I have 2004 Platium Silver T-Bird....love the car!
What do you want to know?

ntd
12-06-2009, 02:32 PM
I don't own one but I have worked on several. They are nothing more than a convertible Lincoln LS(aka Lucifer's sedan) With all the same electrical and trans problems. The main electrical problem is RF interference across the module network from the coil's, coolant control valve, or the electronic parking brake module all of which are expensive. You can get anything from light's that do whatever they want or the parking brake setting itself. The trans will crack intermediate or overdrive bands and the servos due to the aluminum case being worn down from the steel servo's causing internal pressure loss. I warn everyone buy the PREMIUM FORD ESP or look at a different car. My 2 cents take it or leave it but you have been warned

Merc-O-matic
12-06-2009, 02:59 PM
I don't own one but I have worked on several. They are nothing more than a convertible Lincoln LS(aka Lucifer's sedan) With all the same electrical and trans problems. The main electrical problem is RF interference across the module network from the coil's, coolant control valve, or the electronic parking brake module all of which are expensive. You can get anything from light's that do whatever they want or the parking brake setting itself. The trans will crack intermediate or overdrive bands and the servos due to the aluminum case being worn down from the steel servo's causing internal pressure loss. I warn everyone buy the PREMIUM FORD ESP or look at a different car. My 2 cents take it or leave it but you have been warned

Mine runs great has 20K on it...never been in the shop or had any problems.
Never been touched by the "nerds" at the dealer ship. And yes,
I change my own oil. And, you can keep your ESP.. place it where the sun don't shine!

Gotta Love It!

MERCMAN
12-06-2009, 03:23 PM
Thanls for the input, I have to check and see if I can even fit in one. I am looking at an '04 with 7,000 miles on it

ntd
12-06-2009, 03:30 PM
Mine runs great has 20K on it...never been in the shop or had any problems.
Never been touched by the "nerds" at the dealer ship. And yes,
I change my own oil. And, you can keep your ESP.. place it where the sun don't shine!

Gotta Love It!

Yours still has low miles give it time. I didn't call you names but I'm sure you'll be begging one of us dealer ship "nerds" to fix it when you have a problem and after you blow all your money at an aftermarket shop and then they say, " your going to have to take that to the dealership." Gotta Love It right?

a_d_a_m
12-06-2009, 03:44 PM
Al gives his cars better care than anyone I know, so if a T-bird is destined for a clean service history, it would be his...

Green96
12-06-2009, 06:48 PM
I have an LS. I love the car, but it does have some quirks. The T-Bird has the same motor and trans as far as I know. The 03 and later LS has a drive by wire throttle setup that leaves a lot to be desired. It is very slow to respond to the point that it makes it feel like a turbo with a lot of lag. The transmission shift schedule is also not the greatest. It is easily confused, and cannot pick a gear.

I know this all sounded bad, but I wanted a sporty RWD 4-door sedan as my daily driver and I do like the car in spite of the quirks. Good luck.

ntd
12-06-2009, 07:08 PM
I have an LS. I love the car, but it does have some quirks. The T-Bird has the same motor and trans as far as I know. The 03 and later LS has a drive by wire throttle setup that leaves a lot to be desired. It is very slow to respond to the point that it makes it feel like a turbo with a lot of lag. The transmission shift schedule is also not the greatest. It is easily confused, and cannot pick a gear.

I know this all sounded bad, but I wanted a sporty RWD 4-door sedan as my daily driver and I do like the car in spite of the quirks. Good luck.

I agree 100% I love the LS/T-Bird platform the handling is great, performance is good like all vehicles they have there problems. Keep in mind at the dealership I only see them when they are broken but these seem to have more problems than most and parts cost alot more. Shop wisely and check the service history, pm me the vin # and I can check Oasis

SpartaPerformance
12-06-2009, 08:05 PM
I've never encountered these nightmares with either LS's or T-Birds, infact I have a customer with an 03 LS-E with over 60k and it has been trouble free.

Blackened300a
12-06-2009, 08:19 PM
Paul's LSE has some transmission issues and something with the traction control that caused the light to come on. He had it serviced and they ended up cracking his rear bumper.

RoyLPita
12-07-2009, 07:24 AM
Dan, Marauderman got a 2005 for his wife.

Just in case, run an OASIS report for the one that you are looking into.

Vortex
12-07-2009, 07:52 AM
I always thought those T-Birds looked pretty good. Ill take a black one with a white top pleeze.

Actually, when they came out I went and looked at them; the seat didnt go back far enough for me so my head was hitting the roof or damn near looking out over the windshield when the top was off (I felt like Jaws in the James Bond movies). Nice cars though.

fastblackmerc
12-07-2009, 08:02 AM
Dan, Marauderman got a 2005 for his wife.

Just in case, run an OASIS report for the one that you are looking into.

+1 Check with Marauderman.

SC Cheesehead
12-07-2009, 08:13 AM
Thanls for the input, I have to check and see if I can even fit in one. I am looking at an '04 with 7,000 miles on it

I looked at one a while back, and this was an issue for me. IIRC, I wasn't real comfortable in it, tight fit.

RoyLPita
12-07-2009, 08:33 AM
I always thought those T-Birds looked pretty good. Ill take a black one with a white top pleeze.

Actually, when they came out I went and looked at them; the seat didnt go back far enough for me so my head was hitting the roof or damn near looking out over the windshield when the top was off (I felt like Jaws in the James Bond movies). Nice cars though.

So, you want the Niemann Marcus T-Bird? Look around. They are out there.

jimlam56
12-07-2009, 08:33 AM
I looked at one a while back, and this was an issue for me. IIRC, I wasn't real comfortable in it, tight fit.

Me too. I'm 6'/185, had problems getting in and out of the Tbird without hitting my head, and my head was real close to the headliner even after adjusting the seat down. Those two things were a deal killer for me.

MERCMAN
12-07-2009, 10:10 AM
RUH-ROH, I am 6'7" and it sounds like I will not be fitting in this car. Guess the wife is SOL on a t-bird. BUMMER :( I am going to try one on this evening to see how it fits LOL

Marauderman
12-07-2009, 10:11 AM
+1 Check with Marauderman.

Yes --I got Ms. M a 2004 T-Bird, actually the model is called
"Pacific Coast Cruiser". They only made a 1,000 of them in a 90 day production back in April of '04. They are the only ones with the Metallic Green paint scheme and two tone ash color coordinated seat interiors as well- Hers is
# 989 of 1000.

We both just love the car --I am 6', 210# and fit well , just have to watch head as you get in---is a bit low but after that its all fun.

The guy we bought it from was about 6'4 and 250 and he seemed to do ok --but preferred it with the top down --no wonder!!

Car only has 24,500 miles and no problems as yet--My recommendation is to try and find one that is near the end of production run --as those , if they were any production problems , by its time has been corrected and be without problems found earlier. That seem to be the case as I was originally going to purchase same car but production #142 or #138 and found they had some minor problems and the later ones, were fixed by then.

Anyway--if you can find one with low mileage , I would go for it but preferably an '04 or '05 as they were upgraded a bit with power and TQ over the earlier 02 ans 03's.

Either way , it will fit your bill from what you want it for...BTW--We just put the hard top on for the winter ...Way cool !! Cars looks even more terrific.

Good luck

Ken
12-11-2009, 05:23 AM
RUH-ROH, I am 6'7" and it sounds like I will not be fitting in this car. Guess the wife is SOL on a t-bird. BUMMER :( I am going to try one on this evening to see how it fits LOLDid ya fit? Did Julie get pictures?

Ken

Bigdogjim
12-11-2009, 07:04 AM
RUH-ROH, I am 6'7" and it sounds like I will not be fitting in this car. Guess the wife is SOL on a t-bird. BUMMER :( I am going to try one on this evening to see how it fits LOL

Hey Dan what were you thinking????????

Try a Lincoln Town Car, or stay with the pick-up.

They do not make cars for "big boys" like us....:rofl:

Merc-O-matic
12-11-2009, 12:58 PM
Yes --I got Ms. M a 2004 T-Bird, actually the model is called
"Pacific Coast Cruiser". They only made a 1,000 of them in a 90 day production back in April of '04. They are the only ones with the Metallic Green paint scheme and two tone ash color coordinated seat interiors as well- Hers is
# 989 of 1000.

We both just love the car --I am 6', 210# and fit well , just have to watch head as you get in---is a bit low but after that its all fun.

The guy we bought it from was about 6'4 and 250 and he seemed to do ok --but preferred it with the top down --no wonder!!

Car only has 24,500 miles and no problems as yet--My recommendation is to try and find one that is near the end of production run --as those , if they were any production problems , by its time has been corrected and be without problems found earlier. That seem to be the case as I was originally going to purchase same car but production #142 or #138 and found they had some minor problems and the later ones, were fixed by then.

Anyway--if you can find one with low mileage , I would go for it but preferably an '04 or '05 as they were upgraded a bit with power and TQ over the earlier 02 ans 03's.

Either way , it will fit your bill from what you want it for...BTW--We just put the hard top on for the winter ...Way cool !! Cars looks even more terrific.

Good luck

Congratulations on your new "bird"....we have an '04 Platinum Silver.
The Pacific Coast Roadster is real find! Enjoy.

Might go to ThunderbirdNest.com good web site.

MERCMAN
12-11-2009, 02:37 PM
I found
www.portholeauthority.com to be wealth of info as well :up: