PDA

View Full Version : Congressional Medal of Honor winner told he can't fly a Flag

ctrlraven
12-09-2009, 02:18 PM
Read first!
http://www.nbc12.com/Global/story.asp?S=11487556

Makes me :mad2:

As my friend said "This guy is full of bad motherfu****erness"

Here is a little background on how Col. Barfoot earned his medal of honor.

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of life above and beyond the call of duty on 23 May 1944, near Carano, Italy. With his platoon heavily engaged during an assault against forces well entrenched on commanding ground, 2d Lt. Barfoot (then Tech. Sgt.) moved off alone upon the enemy left flank. He crawled to the proximity of 1 machine gun nest and made a direct hit on it with a hand grenade, killing 2 and wounding 3 Germans.

He continued along the German defense line to another machine gun emplacement, and with his tommy gun killed 2 and captured 3 soldiers. Members of another enemy machine gun crew then abandoned their position and gave themselves up to Sgt. Barfoot. Leaving the prisoners for his support squad to pick up, he proceeded to mop up positions in the immediate area, capturing more prisoners and bringing his total count to 17.

Later that day, after he had reorganized his men and consolidated the newly captured ground, the enemy launched a fierce armored counterattack directly at his platoon positions. Securing a bazooka, Sgt. Barfoot took up an exposed position directly in front of 3 advancing Mark VI tanks. From a distance of 75 yards his first shot destroyed the track of the leading tank, effectively disabling it, while the other 2 changed direction toward the flank. As the crew of the disabled tank dismounted, Sgt. Barfoot killed 3 of them with his tommy gun. He continued onward into enemy terrain and destroyed a recently abandoned German field piece with a demolition charge placed in the breech.

While returning to his platoon position, Sgt. Barfoot, though greatly fatigued by his Herculean efforts, assisted 2 of his seriously wounded men 1,700 yards to a position of safety. Sgt. Barfoot's extraordinary heroism, demonstration of magnificent valor, and aggressive determination in the face of pointblank fire are a perpetual inspiration to his fellow soldiers.

Hacklemerc
12-09-2009, 02:24 PM
I read this as well. If I was him I'd fly my damn flag anyway. He has done more than earn the right to fly it. Stupid subdivision rules. Whoever brought this up at the homeowners association neeeds to be beaten with a stick.

fastblackmerc
12-09-2009, 02:35 PM
Although Col. Barfoot is a war hero and a Medal of Honor winner and I'm grateful for his service he did move into a community with rules. In fact those rules are legally binding. When he signed his mortgage papers he agreed to abide by the covenants of the community he moved into. So yes he should take down his flag pole and display the flag in a manner that is consistent with the communities covenants.

Flame away....... :flamer: :flamer:

Phrog_gunner
12-09-2009, 02:38 PM
I'm not trying to be a jerk, I am just trying to bestow a little knowledge about the country's highest honor because I think it deserves correct presentation:
It is the Medal of Honor, not the Congressional Medal of Honor.

No one WINS the Medal of Honor, it is not a contest. It is awarded.

On the other note....that story is disgusting. I'm glad that this man still has the fight left in him to tell the subdivision to shove it. I'd bet money there is no judge on any bench in the country that would rule against this man.

I would never mess with anyone named "Barfoot", period.

fastblackmerc
12-09-2009, 02:41 PM
I take it, you guys don't live in a neighborhood with an association. This is the one that I live in

http://www.wellingtonparkcary.com/

And there are plenty of judges that will rule against him.

It's not about patriotism, it's about following the law.

Bluerauder
12-09-2009, 02:46 PM
First part of the Medal of Honor write up sounds like Sergeant Alvin York. The 2nd part reads like 2LT Audie Murphy.

The HOA issue is resolved. He gets to keep the flagpole. Senator Warner (D-VA)intervened before the issue went to the White House. The HOA backed off.

I am quite mixed over this story. COL Barfoot was aware of the HOA rules and applied for an exception to the flagpole rule. It was denied. He put it up anyway. IMHO -- both parties blew it and should have been able to work out a solution that was mutually acceptable. Being a Medal of Honor winner gives COL Barfoot no additional rights over his neighbors on his left and right or elsewhere in his community.

Do some HOAs abuse their power. Certainly. Do some residents try to skirt the HOA Covenants. Certainly. Will flags from 23 different countries be flying from flagpoles in that neighborhood within the next year ..... very likely.

fastblackmerc
12-09-2009, 02:46 PM
Before you guys get your dander up......

It's a moot point.

http://www.nbc12.com/Global/story.asp?S=11645365

Phrog_gunner
12-09-2009, 02:49 PM
I'll gladly pay the fine for him.....just so they can shove it.

Hacklemerc
12-09-2009, 03:00 PM
What he said ^^

ctrlraven
12-09-2009, 03:14 PM
Some military friends of mine and I would of donated to the cause for him to keep it.

Breadfan
12-09-2009, 03:53 PM
Yes the HOA's are binding, however I don't think the text in the HOA docs were specific enough, there was leeway in which the HOA Board could have approved, and they chose not to, and refused to change their minds. Legality aside, the board could've just had a bit more leeway in display of a US flag...maybe there isn't enough RED on our flag to make them happy?

The point being, the HOA Board could have let this slide, and I doubt property values were going to go down with a flagpole there.

Marauderman
12-09-2009, 04:18 PM
Medal of Honor recipients should be exempt and he was in this case--

What the Helllll were they thinking!!! People tend to think time removes all existence of what has happen---lets us all remember it was only time since 1776...so it did happen ....so we need to appreciate what it means.....I.better quit before I go bad....

I think its great he keeps his flag pole--he earned it--not the others--and I'd bet that the writing about the flag poles is a bit hard to find in all the HOA writing--ask me how I know--I too live in one--what a bunch of CRAP!

fastblackmerc
12-09-2009, 04:20 PM
In North Carolina there is a state law that allows flag poles. That law supersedes all others.

Marauderman
12-09-2009, 04:31 PM
In North Carolina there is a state law that allows flag poles. That law supersedes all others.

Ahhhh........you make me feel so much better..:D:):cool:;)..thank you ..........!!

SpartaPerformance
12-09-2009, 05:51 PM
I do believe in following laws and rules but in this case I think the person who originally denied his application for exemption should be drawn and quartered. The guy is a WWII vet and medal of honor recipient, he's 90 how many more years will he be alive, give him a pass to have his pole with a stipulation until he passes away. We have no common sense in this country anymore.

W4LTD
12-09-2009, 05:53 PM
As a Ham (amateur radio operator), I have also dealt with my HOA regarding flagpoles and antennas. Simply put, when you buy a home in a deed-restricted community, you agree to abide by their rules and regulations (I have spoken with two attorneys on this). Even our pro-Ham organization, the ARRL (American Radio Relay League-see below), which is a huge lobbyist in and of itself, will not touch this area. Our restriction on flagpoles was a limit of 25-feet with site approval. The FCC (Federal Communications Commission) is also powerless due to the fact one must sign a legally-binding "agreement" in order to purchase a home within an HOA community. The best recourse? Do as I did, sell the home and buy a property which is not governed by an HOA and has no deed-restrictions. As the saying goes, "You can't fight city hall".

ARRL - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrl http://www.ARRL.org

gmtech
12-09-2009, 06:17 PM
We have no common sense in this country anymore.

Exactly!!! Everyone needs a law or a *****y homeowners association to "steer" them in the right direction, instead of everyone using a little common sense. Exactly why the election went as it did and why everything in this country is going the way it is. We all need some kind of "big brother" to help us make "the right" decisions. That is until the decisions affect you personally, then we cry for "change". Maybe fastblackmerc's HOA will add a provision to make sure no black taxi cabs enter their "hood":D

W4LTD
12-09-2009, 06:46 PM
Yes, and with all due respect (I am a vet myself), society has forced people to go the HOA route. Simply put, people -- in general -- no longer have common sense as to what is "decent". There's always going to be that one neighbor who decides he/she wants to make a "statement" or that it's a "work of art" and then they erect an Eiffel Tower for a flagpole. Or those that think it's beautiful to have 8 "junker" cars parked on their front lawn, or like myself, think that a 60-foot antenna tower should be allowed on my property. So, in essence, HOA's do serve a purpose for those who desire to live in a "cookie-cutter" neighborhood and have their personal home and property regulated.

fastblackmerc
12-09-2009, 06:52 PM
Maybe fastblackmerc's HOA will add a provision to make sure no black taxi cabs enter their "hood":D

Not on my watch!

gmtech
12-09-2009, 08:21 PM
Not on my watch!

:lol::beer: