PDA

View Full Version : snow tires WTF?

duhtroll
12-11-2009, 01:24 PM
OK I have a roller skate I drive in the winter while the MM sleeps. It is a 2001 Nissan Sentra - FrontWD obviously. I got snow tires on it this year just before the huge storm and I thought it was handling really well until this AM on my way to work.

I take a 4-lane highway where the speed limit is 65 and once I got up to 55-60 the rear end of the car starts jumping around the pavement as if I am going to spin out, though I didn't.

This 4-lane highway has deliberate "vertical" grooves in the pavement supposedly to help traction.

I tried repeating this feat on the 2-lane highway I turned onto to get to the town I work in, and couldn't get the same thing to happen at 60 MPH. It rode nicely and straight.

Could there be something with snow tires and grooved pavement? My MM never did that on the same road when I drove it in the winter and I had snows on it.

Anyone got a clue? Could there be something wrong with either the suspension or rear end of the Sentra? The hopping around kinda threw me a bit until I slowed down and kept it at 50. I can't do that all winter if the roads are clear - I'll get run over.

Anyone ever had this happen?

fastblackmerc
12-11-2009, 01:38 PM
OK I have a roller skate I drive in the winter while the MM sleeps. It is a 2001 Nissan Sentra - FrontWD obviously. I got snow tires on it this year just before the huge storm and I thought it was handling really well until this AM on my way to work.

I take a 4-lane highway where the speed limit is 65 and once I got up to 55-60 the rear end of the car starts jumping around the pavement as if I am going to spin out, though I didn't.

This 4-lane highway has deliberate "vertical" grooves in the pavement supposedly to help traction.

I tried repeating this feat on the 2-lane highway I turned onto to get to the town I work in, and couldn't get the same thing to happen at 60 MPH. It rode nicely and straight.

Could there be something with snow tires and grooved pavement? My MM never did that on the same road when I drove it in the winter and I had snows on it.

Anyone got a clue? Could there be something wrong with either the suspension or rear end of the Sentra? The hopping around kinda threw me a bit until I slowed down and kept it at 50. I can't do that all winter if the roads are clear - I'll get run over.

Anyone ever had this happen?

Aren't snow tires made of a harder rubber compound?

duhtroll
12-11-2009, 02:04 PM
No, much softer IIRC. They do not freeze like regular tires, or so I am told, and that is why they offer better traction. It is also why they wear out so fast if you try driving with them in the summer.

justbob
12-11-2009, 03:06 PM
What condition are your rear struts in? Have someone follow you and see if your rear tires are bouncing real bad.

duhtroll
12-11-2009, 04:32 PM
Yep. I am putting it on a lift tomorrow to see what is wrong since I won't have time until then. I hope it gets me home without falling completely apart.

I was thinking today it doesn't make sense to just be tires. I bet something just gave up or snapped.

This car has all of 64K on it so I can surely expect a major repair.

CRUZTAKER
12-11-2009, 06:16 PM

No...quite the opposite.

And my Focus acts odd on certain dry pavements with snows on all fours.
It just takes some getting used to the 'floaty' feeling.
They are night and day compared to my Pirellis.

Snow tires are are rated and built for better traction vs better 'at speed' diving and choices are made depending on the type of winter you get.
Obviously a New York winter in not the same as a Minnesota winter.

A Blizzack WS50 will conquer ice and deep snow, but feel terribly 'floaty' at speeds over 55.
A Blizzack YS50 will feel much better at speed, but lose a bit of grip in ice and deep snow.

It's a give and take when buying snow tires.