PDA

View Full Version : Movie: A Clockwork Orange

guspech750
12-13-2009, 08:57 PM
Anyone here ever see the movie "A Clockwork Orange"? I dont know what to think of this movie. What a wack of a movie:confused: :depress:What do you guys think?

bob6364
12-13-2009, 09:43 PM
It was another time,The beatles went from nice guys to stoners we where on the moon and there was Nixon gas rationing ....none of this has anything to do with the movie though ... :D

Blk Mamba
12-13-2009, 10:08 PM
very strange, but then look at Helter Skelter, and Manson.

Big Black Beast
12-13-2009, 10:37 PM
You just finally got around to watching this? Have you been in a coma for the last 25 years?

guspech750
12-13-2009, 10:50 PM
You just finally got around to watching this? Have you been in a coma for the last 25 years?
:lol:Strangely. I was just recently told about this movie about a month ago:lol: Thank God I will never get back the amount of time I spent watching that movie. I can not think of anything more mind numbing that this movie:lol:

Big Black Beast
12-13-2009, 10:57 PM
That was kind of the point.

B.C. Bake
12-14-2009, 12:11 AM

+1 Good movie "but it was weired" ........

blackhueys
12-14-2009, 03:02 AM
i love that movie it rocks kinda political in a way.

Krytin
12-14-2009, 04:38 AM
You need to pay a little more attention to what people are doing to each other around us TODAY! That movie was made before cable TV and the internet. The sex bar in the movie and the ultra violence are available over the wire to anyone who wants it. Street Gang members kill inocent bystanders in street gang shootouts with little or no remorse. They kill random people on the street as rites of passage. Our society passed that movie a long time ago.

Vortex
12-14-2009, 08:14 AM
When that movie came out it was actually rated "X". Compare it with what is on tv today; are we better off?

dakslim
12-14-2009, 08:23 AM
Stanley Kubrick was pretty much a weirdo anyway. I agree with Krytin though, that it's getting to be that kind of society now.

ckadiddle
12-14-2009, 08:28 AM
Yes, it's a bizarro movie. I read the book also. Also bizarro.

chapel1
12-14-2009, 08:43 AM
Yes I just saw it for the first time. I was to busy when it hit the theaters back in the day. But, I do remember that Playboy did a big spread on the movie. It was a social commentary on where we were headed as a society?

FreddieH
12-14-2009, 09:00 AM
It was a social commentary on where we were headed as a society? "We have arrived"!

RacerX
12-14-2009, 10:37 AM
Now you need to watch:
Eraserhead
Brazil
Fritz The Cat
Heavy Metal...

Big Black Beast
12-14-2009, 02:04 PM
I've seen Brazil about 8 times and am still a bit confused about a couple things...

Cheeseheadbob
12-14-2009, 02:52 PM
Join the club. I saw it for the first time in '85 when it came out. A couple of college buddies and me went to see the matinee since we were not making too many classes that semester. I came out of the theater and was greeting with blinding sunlight. Needless to say, I was rather dazed and confused. The organic mind altering substances did not help with my cognitive reasoning to analyze the movie either.:whistle:
I've seen Brazil about 8 times and am still a bit confused about a couple things...

Go2GuyFL
12-14-2009, 03:39 PM
Brazil is my all time favorite movie. There was also a lot of controversy in getting the film released. I was able to buy the DVD set that includes a director's cut plus a movie about the battle between Terry Gilliam and the movie studio. By the time he won the right to release it, there was hardly any money left for promotion. It mostly made the new age cinemas. The main theme is "craziness of our awkwardly ordered society and the desire to escape it through whatever means possible." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazil_(film))

Harry Tuttle (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/name/nm0000134/): Bloody paperwork. Huh!
Sam Lowry (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/name/nm0000596/): I suppose one has to expect a certain amount.
Harry Tuttle (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/name/nm0000134/): Why? I came into this game for the action, the excitement. Go anywhere, travel light, get in, get out, wherever there's trouble, a man alone. Now they got the whole country sectioned off, you can't make a move without a form.

and then, later ...
Sam Lowry (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/name/nm0000596/): Can you fix it?
Harry Tuttle (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/name/nm0000134/): No, I can't. But, I can bypass it.

There are also tributes to many famous film sequences, such as the Odessa Steps in the movie Battleship Potemka.

johnnyrauder
12-14-2009, 04:20 PM
don't forget 'blue velvet'
viddy well little brother-viddy-well

Bluerauder
12-14-2009, 04:38 PM
Anyone here ever see the movie "A Clockwork Orange"?

Never saw it. Probably never will. Never big on orange stuff. ;) Spent most of the summer of 1971 in US Army Basic Training -- not much time for movies. Besides, I am still trying to figure out Kubrick's "2001 A Space Odyssey".... and I have seen that one 5 times. Don't think that I handle another whacked-out movie from him. :P

Leadfoot281
12-14-2009, 06:53 PM
A Clockwork Orange, A Killing, and 2001 A Space Odyssey were all excellent movies.

They were all based on either books or short stories. I recommend reading them first. If he had a bad movie in his career it would have to be The Shining. The book was so much better.

I really can't stand many movies made since about 1975 on up. They're a bunch of over produced, high budget, low controversy/low risk, watered down garbage made to be promoted at fast food joints.

A typical movie today is about as harmless, mindless, dull, and commercial driven as a beige Toyota.

guspech750
12-14-2009, 07:30 PM
A Clockwork Orange, A Killing, and 2001 A Space Odyssey were all excellent movies.

They were all based on either books or short stories. I recommend reading them first. If he had a bad movie in his career it would have to be The Shining. The book was so much better.

I really can't stand many movies made since about 1975 on up. They're a bunch of over produced, high budget, low controversy/low risk, watered down garbage made to be promoted at fast food joints.

A typical movie today is about as harmless, mindless, dull, and commercial driven as a beige Toyota.
West World was a great flick 1973 and Future World was pretty good too 1976.........and the king of all flicks.......Kentucky Fried Movie 1977:o

LANDY
12-14-2009, 07:41 PM
i read the book back in high school for a research paper and then watched the movie, you should read the book to get more of an insight on the background and what the whole plotline was about if u r really interested in the movie. if i remember correctly, there was a LOT of pseudo-family, corruption, parallel/duality concept and psychological metaphors/references which tried to make people look at the whole picture a bit differently. one of my favorites

lizz

guspech750
12-14-2009, 07:45 PM
And how about Midnight Madness!!:lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLVMrw-Xbqg

A classic. And the character Barf looks a lot like Ron Kittle 1983 ROY for the White Sox.

RacerX
12-14-2009, 07:51 PM
Of course Pink Floyd, The Wall. Blue Velvet! Yup! I'm going to send you a love letter...
Oh yeah,
Altered States
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Videodrome
Scanners
Logan's Run
forgot Drugstore Cowboy!

sconut1
12-14-2009, 08:13 PM
Honestly, I couldn't stand it. Just my $0.02.

babbage
12-14-2009, 10:33 PM
Kubrick is genius.

Donny Carlson
12-14-2009, 11:02 PM
I saw this movie first run, at the time it was the first X rated film I ever saw. This was back in the days before PG and R ratings - it was G for General Audiences (everybody), M for Mature (16 and over) and X (18 and older).

This movie is tame compared to films made today, or within the past 15-20 years, both in it's level of sex and graphic violence. But, at the time, this was a ground breaking film that, until it was cut down to an M rating, was not seen in it's intended form for many years. Today it would be an R.
It almost didn't pass the board in GB, but squeeked by, and due to horrible press when there were copy cat acts of violence performed and blamed on the film, Kubrick withdrew it from circulation in GB and it wasn't released there in any form until after his death. If you didn't have a bootleg copy bought outside the UK, you didn't see the film.

I can see why younger eyes would not admire or take to this film, since more shocking, more grewsome, more sexed up films have followed. But, at the time, nothing on screen had been seen like this before. Kubrick's film is a masterpiece, shot and acted perfectly, everthing about it is cutting edge for the time, from the use of Wendy Carlo's electronic score, use of classic music and cinematic icons (Singing In the Rain during a rape scene). There are a LOT of themes running through this film.

That said, I took a girlfriend to see this at a re-release in 1978 and she hated it. Just a couple years after it's original release, it was an incomprehensible, violent mess to her.

I may be in the minority here, but it's one of the best films ever made, and certainly high up on the list of best Kubrick.

CRUZTAKER
12-15-2009, 04:00 AM
It was another time,The beatles went from nice guys to stoners we where on the moon and there was Nixon gas rationing ....none of this has anything to do with the movie though ... :D

^^^good times^^^;)

I snuck in and saw it as a child.
An experience I'll never forget.

J-MAN
12-15-2009, 06:21 AM
Never saw it. Probably never will. Never big on orange stuff. ;) Spent most of the summer of 1971 in US Army Basic Training -- not much time for movies. Besides, I am still trying to figure out Kubrick's "2001 A Space Odyssey".... and I have seen that one 5 times. Don't think that I handle another whacked-out movie from him. :P

Read the book!

massacre
12-15-2009, 09:32 AM
I love Stanley Kubrick. ACO is a great film.
Also must agree, Arthur C. Clarke did such a great job on the 2001 a space odyssey. Definitely read the book. Watching the movie after I read the book, I was disappointed.
Also a big David Lynch fan.

CRUZTAKER
12-15-2009, 07:19 PM

Wow....I will never forget that movie.
I saw it in Seattle during my last year in the service.
There were five of us.
It was the last time I ever tripped in a movie theatre.
That movie is deeper than many realize.:P

Donny Carlson
12-15-2009, 09:04 PM
Wow....I will never forget that movie.
I saw it in Seattle during my last year in the service.
There were five of us.
It was the last time I ever tripped in a movie theatre.
That movie is deeper than many realize.:P

Barry,

Go see Gilliams new movie, the Imaginarium of Dr. Paranassus. Looks like it will be his best film. Too bad about Heath Ledger, tho.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony/theimaginariumofdoctorparnassu s/

babbage
12-15-2009, 09:42 PM
Barry,

Go see Gilliams new movie, the Imaginarium of Dr. Paranassus. Looks like it will be his best film. Too bad about Heath Ledger, tho.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony/theimaginariumofdoctorparnassu s/

A Knights tale is good flick too. (Re: Heath Ledger)

Well said on a Clockwork Orange, I think it easily still holds up today in it's modernism's. If you like deep/weird "fine line between brilliance and insanity" genre I think you'd enjoy (I did) http://www.pithemovie.com/
(http://www.pithemovie.com/)