PDA

View Full Version : Welding Helmet help

LilCop2002
12-16-2009, 08:06 PM
A friend of mine is looking for a welding helmet. Typically, that's a pretty easy task but there's a slight problem. The problem lies in the fact that she was recently diagnosed with a severe latex allergy. Her doctor recommended that she stay away from all types of rubber and plastic.

Since I'm not familiar with welding helmets, I turn to you. Can any of you throw any advice out there? If we can also keep the price down a bit, that would be great.

Thanks!

ImpalaSlayer
12-16-2009, 08:07 PM
stay away from plastic? is that even possible?

Blackened300a
12-16-2009, 08:08 PM
You'll need one of those old school metal ones that have the hold handle in the front. Otherwise, every other helmet is made in plastic.

FordNut
12-16-2009, 08:32 PM
They're plastic but I don't think it's latex. If there is an allergy problem, wear a cap underneath the straps so the plastic doesn't contact the skin.

Get an automatic tint lens, I used to try and weld with the old style but would never go back. Oh, for anybody who is getting up in years, get as big a lens as possible so you can see through it when you tip your head back to see through the bifocals.

FordNut
12-16-2009, 08:33 PM
Just a thought, maybe get some leather covers made for the plastic straps?

guspech750
12-16-2009, 09:41 PM
I dont know what to suggest, but I did find a welding forum. Try asking them.
http://weldingweb.com/

LilCop2002
12-17-2009, 05:15 AM
I appreciate the help and guidance. I know that staying away from plastic is damn near impossible, but the doctor said to not even use a straw. IDK

massacre
12-17-2009, 07:18 AM
My daily helmet is plastic/auto tint, but I always keep my old high-school helmet in the shop(I'm a welder btw), it's made by Fibre-Metal, the company that invented the welding helmet. It is a fiberglass shell with a glass filter and lens. The headgear is plastic, but like was mentioned you could get a cover made for that, I believe they are made of leather and snap-on.
Funny you mention this, the batteries died in my auto-tint mask the other day, good thing I have my old helmet on hand. If you go to this site and pick "fiberglass" as the material, they have about a dozen decent fiberglass helmets.
Do yourself a favor and get it pinstriped, looks so cool! lol

http://www.airgas.com/browse/product_list.aspx?catID=421&WT.svl=421

ckadiddle
12-17-2009, 07:34 AM
OMG....When I read the title I thought this thread was about "wedding helmet". I'm rather disappointed now.... ;)

LilCop2002
12-17-2009, 04:09 PM
My daily helmet is plastic/auto tint, but I always keep my old high-school helmet in the shop(I'm a welder btw), it's made by Fibre-Metal, the company that invented the welding helmet. It is a fiberglass shell with a glass filter and lens. The headgear is plastic, but like was mentioned you could get a cover made for that, I believe they are made of leather and snap-on.
Funny you mention this, the batteries died in my auto-tint mask the other day, good thing I have my old helmet on hand. If you go to this site and pick "fiberglass" as the material, they have about a dozen decent fiberglass helmets.
Do yourself a favor and get it pinstriped, looks so cool! lol

http://www.airgas.com/browse/product_list.aspx?catID=421&WT.svl=421

After your recommendation, we went to Airgas's local shop and got her the equipment she needed. Thanks a bunch! :beer: