PDA

View Full Version : Help, Computer Problem?

Pat
12-25-2009, 08:39 AM
Help! :help:

For the past couple of days a microsoft info block pops up denoting my computer "failed to load inventory". Did I tap too many keys at the same time?
:toss:

SpartaPerformance
12-25-2009, 10:37 AM
I solved all my Microsoft problems by getting a Mac 9 years ago and have had no problems ever since.

Pops
12-25-2009, 10:39 AM
Pat I am getting the same error message.

fastblackmerc
12-25-2009, 11:21 AM
Go to www.microsoft.com, select support, select knowledgebase, search "xp failed to load inventory" (without the quotes and I assume your running XP). There are a bunch fixes identified.

CRUZTAKER
12-25-2009, 09:18 PM
Go to www.microsoft.com (http://www.microsoft.com), select support, select knowledgebase, search "xp failed to load inventory" (without the quotes and I assume your running XP). There are a bunch fixes identified.

There is no info there.

I have been getting it most recently as well.
I had attributed to failing banners and popups.

It usually happens when opening the yahoo home page.

I have searched around a bit and frankly....:dunno:

Stoneblue
12-25-2009, 10:58 PM
Here goes.
Are you all having this problem with only the yahoo page?
What browser are you using?
What OS and SP are you using?
Have you done a complete virus check using the current definitions? Which one?
Have you run antispyware checks? With more than one detection program? Which ones?
When did this start, exactly (trying to correlate date here)?
What were the last couple of things did you do before this started?
Are you surfing using an admin rights acct.?
Has anyone else been using your machine, either your acct. or a different acct.
Are you using any Oracle DataBase apps?
Have you installed any new software just before this started?
If you are using IE please see if this problem replicates itself when using FireFox.
This problem may be as simple as a corrupted Oracle data base on the server you are accessing and be repaired by tomorrow. Websites like yahoo, google and such are popular targets for hackers. School is out right now and kids are bored and turn to hacking for entertainment which is why late May to Sept. has an upswing in viruses and malware.
I'll probably have more questions after I sleep on it.
I'll try to support your problem as best I can however I have a few machines I have to get out to my customers and I am in a bind for time over the next few days.
Let me know what's going on by say Sunday afternoon if it doesn't cramp y'all too much. I am more than happy to help and will give it a best effort try, but I may be unable to solve this problem for you. Just don't expect miracles as that fellow left the room about 2000 years ago. Feel free to PM me with the answers and I'll get back to you as quickly as I can.
Have a great day guys!

Pat
12-26-2009, 05:12 AM
Thank you for your interest. I'll answer your questions as best I can:
1.Yes
2. IE-7
3. MS XP, SP-3
4. Yes Trend Micro PC-cillan, Internet Security 14T
5. Same
6. O/A 21 Dec 09
7. Internet browsing, my usual favorites, nothing out of ordinary
8. No
9. Yes, Family members : Wife, College Student Son, Army Son
10. Don't think so.
11. No
12. OK, will try in a day or so, wife using system for EOY bookie work.

FordNut
12-26-2009, 06:05 AM
I've been getting a lot of errors when I go to the Yahoo homepage since they changed it.

offroadkarter
12-26-2009, 09:08 AM
2. IE-7

Well theirs your problem

Stoneblue
12-26-2009, 08:03 PM
This problem is hitting people on the Monte Carlo SS and Suburu Impreza forum sites as well so it's not just y'all. It is occuring w/ XP, Vista, IE7 and IE8 but not Firefox. None of the security sites I visited have addressed this yet. I am almost sure it's a Yahoo problem as everyone started complaining around the 20th after the site was changed. So my suggestion for now is to download the FireFox browser, use it, let me know what happens. I've not been able to replicate it on any of my 5 machines (not bragging, b*tching is more like it). Link is http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/personal.html Contact me if you need more help, I'll still be working this until it's fixed. And yes I know I am horrid at Help Desk stuff, but I am trying to get better! TTYL guys.

UncleLar
12-26-2009, 09:08 PM
I can tell you I've had all kinds of problems with Yahoo Messenger since they started 'improving" it this year.Darn thing worked fine for me before that,maybe they should write on their walls of their cubes"If it ain't broke,don't fix it"!