PDA

View Full Version : Used Car Advice Needed: Lincoln LS 8

rayjay
12-31-2009, 01:10 PM
Disregard this post. We will buy a Fusion.

FordNut
12-31-2009, 01:24 PM
Used to have one. It was the wife's. When I got my Marauder, I realized how much better it was and we traded the wife's LS in for another Marauder for her.

The LS is nice, but not nearly as durable as the Marauder. The sheet metal is super thin, very easy to get door dings with the slightest contact. If the wife had done some of the things in it that she has done in the Marauder, it would have been totalled.

Seneca
12-31-2009, 01:37 PM
Hey folks, heres the deal. The only folks I let near my DTR is a Pop & Son FLM dealership in the next town over. I have never been able to buy a car from the old man. He squeezes every penny, you know the type. Well, they have a absolutely beautiful cherry golden/tan 2002 Lincoln LS8 on the lot, 57k on the clock, all the toys, TC, LSD, Moonroof, heated seats that he wants $9,990 for. Thats just slightly under book. It is fully loaded and not a mark on it. It belonged to his other son that does not work there. It was recently dropped to that price and Francis didn't know it and wasn't too happy about it. I'm willing to go $10k out the door with set of studded snows on the rear. Its been on the lot probably 1-2 years. He owns it out right.

This will replace the 98 VW Passat that was totalled on us by a drunk the other night. I'm going to put down 1/2 in cash and finance the rest. Probably try to roll it into some kind of loan to include the remainder of what I owe on my Aveo, so the whole loan will be well under $10k.

Comments please. My Sister Had a 02 LS V8 she bought new in 01. sold it with 47k miles on it. it left her stranded for over heating a few times. misfires from the day she brought it home the everynow and then something would drain the battery . the dealership was never able to fix the issue,

So then years later my Wife's crazy about the LS's So she buys a 03 LS V8 black loaded. she's still got the car actually, but she's ready to trade it in now. The problems we've had. bought the car with 30k miles. steering wheel makes annoying squeeking sounds. dealer fixed it a few times. keeps coming back. Misfires when it feels like it. (alot) Replaced leaking spark plug well o rings. they had a problem with them up to 03. i guess her 03 was early enough where it had the bad o rings too. replaced the o rings with updated o rings and valve cover gaskets. replaced all 8 coils and spark plugs. runs alot better still misfires now and then. Very fun car to drive. Powerful. Made a 14.5 pass in the 1/4 mile. The drive by wire throttle body is very slow to respond. Search google The LS's have alot of problems. Seneca. P.S. I was up in your neck of the woods for christmas we were in Lowville NY.

ntd
12-31-2009, 01:59 PM
I work at a Lincoln and Mercury, these cars are very well handling, fast and fun to drive when they aren't broken. Steel trans servos will wear out the aluminum case bores, Oil leaks in the spark plug cop bores will cause misfires, coolant control valve commonly fail leaving you with no heat. Electronic parking brake module will go haywire due to RF interference. Front wheel bearing commonly fail. Lincoln LS stands for Lucifer's sedan look for something else

RoyLPita
12-31-2009, 02:02 PM
It couldn't hurt to run an OASIS report on this. I have seen window regulators go bad on these. I cought this link totally out of the blue in case gears are needed for the LS:
http://www.lincolnforums.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3121

pantheroc
12-31-2009, 02:04 PM
I work at a Lincoln and Mercury, these cars are very well handling, fast and fun to drive when they aren't broken. Steel trans servos will wear out the aluminum case bores, Oil leaks in the spark plug cop bores will cause misfires, coolant control valve commonly fail leaving you with no heat. Electronic parking brake module will go haywire due to RF interference. Front wheel bearing commonly fail. Lincoln LS stands for Lucifer's sedan look for something else

Did they improve anything for the 2006 model year?

I haven't had problems yet with the 2006, but then again only 10K on it.

rayjay
12-31-2009, 02:09 PM
Please disregard this post.

ntd
12-31-2009, 02:16 PM
Did they improve anything for the 2006 model year?

I haven't had problems yet with the 2006, but then again only 10K on it.

05 and 06 seem to have less electrical problems but the trans issues are pretty universal @80k the Intermediate(3rd gear) or overdrive(2nd and 5th gear) bands will fail. Also see the same trans problem with Explores, Mountaineer, & Aviators with the 5r55 trans(same trans for the LS). Keep in mind I only see them when they are broken but these are the common things we see. I'"m sure there are cars out there that have never had a problem

Mr. Man
12-31-2009, 02:17 PM
It comes w/LSD huh,:eek: How much? You might be able to turn a profit depending on the street value.:D Otherwise I got nothing to add

Black_Noise
12-31-2009, 02:18 PM
LS 's are junk.... stay away unless you want oil on the plugs (constant problem from the o-rings in the cam over leaking oil) and you have the cash to replace the tranny once or twice.

Glockafella
12-31-2009, 02:27 PM
My father had one for 2 years, it broke down 3 times and he ditched it for a Cadillac Seville

ImpalaSlayer
12-31-2009, 03:38 PM
too bad there so crappy, i like the looks of them

FordNut
12-31-2009, 03:44 PM
too bad there so crappy, i like the looks of them

Yeah, it's a shame. I guess that's what you can expect with a Jaguar chassis?

Mike Poore
12-31-2009, 04:29 PM
Ray, I'm thinking CrownVic/GM. For the money they want for the LS, you can get a very nice SAFE, sedan, that gives good fuel economy, is cheap and plentiful. I think, on the used car market, those gems are the most overlooked bargains you'll find. If you're possibly thinking SUV, take Paula's lead and go looking for an Aviator. :)

FordNut
12-31-2009, 04:34 PM
What about the CV Sport just posted up on here?

Ms. Denmark
12-31-2009, 05:09 PM
Ray, I'm thinking CrownVic/GM. For the money they want for the LS, you can get a very nice SAFE, sedan, that gives good fuel economy, is cheap and plentiful. I think, on the used car market, those gems are the most overlooked bargains you'll find. If you're possibly thinking SUV, take Paula's lead and go looking for an Aviator. :)The CV/GM idea is 1+ for safety and value. You would most definately need steelies and snows which is a bit of a pain. As for the Aviator, I'm putting Michelin LTX A-T2 tires on Chip next week. (At the eye-popping cost of $800 + install) But then it should be good to handle the winter weather. I'm liking it more and more. Actually I like it a lot! Gets up and goes, handles well, corners great and still has all the bells/whistles of the LS8. I did buy the extended warranty just in case my tranny goes. :rolleyes: And since they weren't too popular the price has dropped from 45-50 K new, to a very much more reasonable level 6 years later. Cruztaker has one and he's up in snow country. Think his wife drives it and is pretty happy. I think Arleen might like one! ;)

Mike Poore
12-31-2009, 05:30 PM
Think his wife drives it and is pretty happy. I think Arleen might like one! ;)

Barb loved the two she had, especially the '05. Barb's didn't fit me worth a damn, as I'm sure Eric is cramped in Paula's; but you gotta admit, it's the ultimate Chick-mobile. :D

Got_1
12-31-2009, 06:06 PM
another exciting fact about the LS: ford doesn't actually sell a lower ball joint for these. they expect you to replace the entire knuckle at the low low price of 640.00 each. aftermarket supplies a lower ball joint but depending on age and condition (canada winters) then theres no doubt that the hub won't seperate from the knuckle and will end up costing you the price of a couple hub/bearing assemblies. in the end you don't really come out on top so if your looking at one, i would most certainly check the front end first!

bawazir
12-31-2009, 06:14 PM
Hey folks, heres the deal. The only folks I let near my DTR is a Pop & Son FLM dealership in the next town over. I have never been able to buy a car from the old man. He squeezes every penny, you know the type. Well, they have a absolutely beautiful cherry golden/tan 2002 Lincoln LS8 on the lot, 57k on the clock, all the toys, TC, LSD, Moonroof, heated seats that he wants $9,990 for. Thats just slightly under book. It is fully loaded and not a mark on it. It belonged to his other son that does not work there. It was recently dropped to that price and Francis didn't know it and wasn't too happy about it. I'm willing to go $10k out the door with set of studded snows on the rear. Its been on the lot probably 1-2 years. He owns it out right.

This will replace the 98 VW Passat that was totalled on us by a drunk the other night. I'm going to put down 1/2 in cash and finance the rest. Probably try to roll it into some kind of loan to include the remainder of what I owe on my Aveo, so the whole loan will be well under $10k.

Comments please.

You could buy another MM for that price with almost the same miles

rayjay
01-01-2010, 07:18 AM
Disregard. I'll take your advice.

FordNut
01-01-2010, 07:33 AM
Pretty much universal advice in this thread to steer clear of the LS. Get it anyway? Why ask?

Vortex
01-01-2010, 07:34 AM
I bought a certified 09 GM LS (fleet) with 9k on the clock in June for around $17k. There are tons of these available just enter "09 Marquis" on craigslist. Most are former rental overstocks and the "fleet" version comes without foglights, power passenger seat, auto brake release but otherwise the same as an regular LS. Im pretty happy with mine. If youre limited to $10k you should be able to find an 05 or 06 for that.

FordNut
01-01-2010, 07:38 AM
I bought a certified 09 GM LS (fleet) with 9k on the clock in June for around $17k. There are tons of these available just enter "09 Marquis" on craigslist. Most are former rental overstocks and the "fleet" version comes without foglights, power passenger seat, auto brake release but otherwise the same as an regular LS. Im pretty happy with mine. If youre limited to $10k you should be able to find an 05 or 06 for that.

Lincoln LS vs Grand Marquis LS?

rayjay
01-01-2010, 07:45 AM
Pretty much universal advice in this thread to steer clear of the LS. Get it anyway? Why ask?

Disregard I'll take your advice.

Marauderjack
01-01-2010, 07:48 AM
Mecury dealer here has brand new GM's for $16,999.00......not sure of the model or extras but that is a DEAL!!:bows:

I had a friend with a V-6 LS....not sure of the year but I wasn't very impressed!!:shake:

I vote "NO" for the V-8 LS as well!!:rolleyes:

rayjay
01-01-2010, 07:51 AM

rayjay
01-01-2010, 07:54 AM

FordNut
01-01-2010, 08:07 AM

Lincoln LS8.

Yeah, I knew that's what you were referring to, just questioning the Vortex post.

guspech750
01-01-2010, 09:37 AM
I say go for the bigger and safer Grand Marquis. A friend of mine has a V-6 LS and its small and a turd.

rayjay
01-01-2010, 09:44 AM
Yeah, I knew that's what you were referring to, just questioning the Vortex post.

Still, ya know, if a skeptic came on here and read about, burnt left heads, the head cooling fix it kit, ticking heads, spark plugs blowing out of heads, blue smoke on startup, improper shift schedules, bad axles, inadequate brakes for the car, bad EATC modules, blown lighting modules, chaffed computer wire bundles, blinking heated seat lights, failed pedal motors, wacky wipers, decontented models, and my personal favorite, the leaking gas tank from a missing spacer from the factory. No one would buy a Marauder either. OR would they... If I missed something please feel free to add it. If I go by trouble free, then we should go buy another Aveo 5 door. The only problem it has is it does not like the gas-a-hol we are forced to use so it constantly throws a CEL until I put a cheapo additive in the tank. Bingo no light. :shake: Go figure. I'm sure there is a LS8 site out there and I would get 1/2 million reasons why I should buy one and not EVER buy one of those Marauder thingies. So, I'll take everyone's much appreciated advise and comments under consideration. Do I still want the car? Yes, Do I absolutely, positively, have to have it? NO. Its not like the S&W Model 24-3 that I saw in November on a Sunday morning and by that evening at the auction close it was mine. If its meant to be, it will be in our driveway. If not, so be it. Thanks all very much. I'm done. 7D103 Clear.

Glockafella
01-01-2010, 10:28 AM
My honest feeling regarding any Ford product is...

You either get one that runs great and will last forever

or

You get one that is a Pain in the Butt from the start and continues to be one until you sell it or trade it.

rayjay
01-01-2010, 12:10 PM
My honest feeling regarding any Ford product is...

You either get one that runs great and will last forever

or

You get one that is a Pain in the Butt from the start and continues to be one until you sell it or trade it.

For the most part I've always had good luck with Ford products. However, my personal tech passed away almost 17 yrs ago. RIP Dad.

jerrym3
01-01-2010, 05:56 PM
What the heck are you guys talking about re: the LS?

I have a 2004 LS 8 Sport and have had some problems, but nothing like you guys are posting. Had issues under warranty, but the car's been trouble free for the past 10,000 miles. (Car has 32,000 at present.)

The car handles great, runs quick, and, for it's class, is a looker, in my opinion. Doesn't have the "wow" factor of an MM, but that's what my 64 Galaxie and 2003 TBird are for.

I just wish my 2003 TBird handled like my LS does. But then, I wish my TBird had all the bells and whistles that my LS has.

Rocknthehawk
01-01-2010, 06:52 PM
Fusion is the way to go....

babbage
01-01-2010, 07:07 PM
Get the Ford premium care ESP with it for 3/36 - then it's worry free.

rayjay
01-02-2010, 04:55 AM

Can you get that on a used car Eric?

FordNut
01-02-2010, 06:39 AM

Can you get that on a used car Eric?

Only the original owner cag get an extended warranty from Ford, but it can be transferred. A Lincoln's standard warranty is more than 3/36, I believe they're more like 50 or 60k.

Fusion is the way to go....

Everybody I've heard from that has one really gives rave reviews on it. I don't care for the looks, but it's replacing an Aveo...

rayjay
01-02-2010, 08:12 AM
Only the original owner cag get an extended warranty from Ford, but it can be transferred. A Lincoln's standard warranty is more than 3/36, I believe they're more like 50 or 60k.

Everybody I've heard from that has one really gives rave reviews on it. I don't care for the looks, but it's replacing an Aveo...

No, its replacing a Passat from hell. Thanks for the warranty info. The Aveo is the most trouble free car I've ever owned.

Blackened300a
01-02-2010, 09:15 AM

I love my Fusion Ray. There have been a lot of trouble free owners on the Fusion forums and its been great on gas. Compared to the Aveo, its like getting into a Lincoln.

jjsrant
01-02-2010, 09:39 AM
LS's suck!

i wanted 1 before i bought the MM...i test drove 4, they ride like ****, the V6 bites, i looked forever for an 8 finally found 1 in good condition with low km's from a ford dealership, but i passed because of how poor the ride was...the MM is by far a better car and i will go as far as to say any of the Panthers would be a much better option.

Ford has finally got it right with their cars. they have always had great trucks, and now their cars are the best on the market. You can't beat the Fusion, Taurus or even the Focus.

I actually saw the new Festiva...what a car! for a commuter it is going to be the best car on the market.

jjsrant
01-02-2010, 09:44 AM
No, its replacing a Passat from hell. Thanks for the warranty info. The Aveo is the most trouble free car I've ever owned.

For the record, any ford Dealer can issue the extended care warranty on new or used vehicles.

I bought my MM in 2008, i also bought the "Extra Care Warranty". The dealer has a specific battery of tests they do, both physical examinations and diagnostics. if the vehicle passes they will sell the warranty. it does not have to be bought from a ford dealer. I was in the market for a used F 150, i found 1 with high km's, i called Oakland Ford and they explained to me that i could indeed buy a warranty if the truck passed the tests.

babbage
01-02-2010, 10:29 AM
For the record, any ford Dealer can issue the extended care warranty on new or used vehicles.

I bought my MM in 2008, i also bought the "Extra Care Warranty". The dealer has a specific battery of tests they do, both physical examinations and diagnostics. if the vehicle passes they will sell the warranty. it does not have to be bought from a ford dealer. I was in the market for a used F 150, i found 1 with high km's, i called Oakland Ford and they explained to me that i could indeed buy a warranty if the truck passed the tests.

Ding Ding Ding. Make sure it's the real Ford ESP, they put your VIN into Ford's computers and you can take it to any LMQ dealer in the country, I have a $100 deduct on mine. Some dealers try to just give you a generic 3rd party warranty, or try to tell you it has a factory warrany (which it may) but the Ford ESP is above and beyond any of those lesser "insurances"

That's why I bought my one owner low mileage MM from a Mercury dealer. ;) Was able to get it with a real Ford ESP.

LSp8
01-02-2010, 01:33 PM
I always loved the LS, almost bought a 02 before I got the MM, I had to follow my dreams. The LS is a great vehicle as long a you get a well maintained V8 model. The v6 is not worth the gas you're saving. 04-06's are your best bet. Better intake, more power, less issues too. Plus they got that awesome select shift option, NAV option, and L/M even offered the heated and cooled seats. My cousin just got a 03 LS8 Sport Edition but the weird problem he's having is the Catalytic converters keep going bad. Thanks to a misfire from an unknown source. New coils/plugs and still has that issue. The MM is a far more durable car. I'd recommend a 04-06 w/ the ESP plan if you go with one.

Rocknthehawk
01-02-2010, 03:52 PM
I love my Fusion Ray. There have been a lot of trouble free owners on the Fusion forums and its been great on gas. Compared to the Aveo, its like getting into a Lincoln.

Haven't driven one, but the interior of the new fusion is phenominal! I got the chance to sit in and play with out, and whew....it was great. When my brother bought his, we test drove an se with the v6, and it seemed like it had plenty of power. The newer ones must be even nicer.

Hot-Rauder on here has an 06 and it's a great car. It's the 4cyl 5 speed...not a powerhouse, but it goes a to b, and keeps up with traffic no problem. Awesome gas mileage, tons of room, and you can find one used now for well under $10,000 (i found a milan the other day near me for 8500).

Rocknthehawk
01-02-2010, 03:54 PM
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z302/blkmarauder/random194.jpg

ImpalaSlayer
01-02-2010, 03:57 PM
i saw a gunmetal fusion the other day with the monochrome package and was :drool: it looked really good, i really dig the monochrome package.

rayjay
01-02-2010, 08:47 PM
Just so everyone is clear on this, my Aveo is staying. The Passat was wrecked when a drunk driver hit my wife head on Tuesday night. The Passat did its job and protected my wife and daughter, but the repair costs will exceed the vehicle value. It was fully insured. The LS8 comes in to play only because its on the local FLM stores lot, has been owned and maintained by them since new and the price maybe right. What we need is a around town daily driver. A used Fusion/Focus or Camry will do just fine if the LS8 falls through. The kicker on the LS8 is the car is absolutely cherry, in better condition, with lower miles, than my DTR. Most dealers would have this car on their showroom floor. They have a one car showroom. While a King Snake sits on a covered porch outside a 2010 Focus is inside, go figure??? As I've stated before this dealer's service dept. are the ONLY people I pay to touch my MM. I'm in no rush. I can have a rental for 30 days and use of my inlaws pickup until they return from FL after that. Actually, because I work A Lines we could even get away with just one car. The DTR is purely a toy at this point.

max454
01-03-2010, 09:15 AM
Get it if the price is right, i did the same when my mm was totalled, and its a nice little luxury sports car.
Still miss the marauder and the seats where better. :beer:

rayjay
01-03-2010, 03:54 PM
We were just talking about it, again. I just might buy another Aveo 5. Ya know, for $10.5K I get a new car with a 5 year warranty. My Aveo is an absolute beast in the snow with 4 studded snow shoes. The most trouble free car I've ever owned. For under $600 I put a killer sound system in it. Hmm... might have just talked myself into something. Now I have to convince the driver of said vehicle. :(

Blackened300a
01-04-2010, 05:40 AM
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z302/blkmarauder/random194.jpg

When the weather improves, Im gonna throw my MM rims on my fusion. I think it will look great.

Stranger in the Black Sedan
01-04-2010, 07:32 AM
PLease don't, I throw up in my mouth every time I have to look at that thing

Big Black Beast
01-04-2010, 02:04 PM

Yeah, I'm afraid I have to agree. Something about that just doesn't look right.

rayjay
01-04-2010, 02:51 PM
Ok, heres the latest. The DWI's insurance co accepted full blame for the MVA. My attorney is chomping at the bit. All I want is our car fixed or replaced. Their adjuster will look at the Passat tomorrow or Wednesday. Sooo, I guess we are in a holding pattern for a couple days. I did call my buddy, the co owner of the dealership with the LS8 and told him my bottom line on the that car. He will speak with his Dad and get back to me. Still awaiting the whole Oasis from roylpita. The initial was somewhat interesting, not negative, just interesting. :D

Rocknthehawk
01-04-2010, 03:24 PM
When the weather improves, Im gonna throw my MM rims on my fusion. I think it will look great.

Go for it! Adam gets tons of compliments on his.

Yeah, I'm afraid I have to agree. Something about that just doesn't look right.

:rolleyes: I'm sure if they were the mustang wheels, you wouldn't mind so much.

rayjay
01-04-2010, 05:08 PM
Oasis report on the LS8 is good. Hmm, we'll see. Romano Ford over in Fayetteville is expecting a large delivery of Fusions off lease in early February so we may wait.

UPDATE: We tried to deal on a Fusion. You'd think I had two heads asking for a discount offering cash out the door. I guess everyone thinks they have a pot of gold thanks to Obama cars for all.

jerrym3
01-04-2010, 05:35 PM
rayjay, I've got two cars with almost identical drivetrains, my 2004 LS 8 Sport and my 2003 TBird.

As I noted earlier, maybe I'm lucky, but I haven't experienced the problems others have.

The LS is a sport sedan, so don't expect a luxury ride. (I went from an 89 TownCar to the LS, and was glad I did.)

I don't know if you are considering the Sport model, but I'm pretty sure they ride a bit stiffer than the non-Sport LS.

The dash, being designed back in 2000, is a bit outdated. (I wasn't wild about it back then. The TBird dash is slightly "plainer" than the LS.)

But, with 280+ hp, VVT, drive by wire, 3:58 rear, and 5 speed SST trans, you'll find that it can be a lot of fun to drive.

rayjay
01-07-2010, 03:58 PM
Hi folks. Inked the paper on the Linclon this morning. Just jumping through hoops to pay for her. We got more for the Passat than I expected, but only 7 days on a rental because they totalled the Passat, :(. Ya win some, lose others. $600 for studded snow shoes, ouch! Have to have em. Never make the hill here without them. The other choices were $200+ per tire... I have the same Coopers on my Aveo and can go through anything. Taking a loan from my pension to pay for this. I'll pay off the Aveo too. Can't beat interest free.

http://invassets.dealerconnection.com/vimages/FD417/2073_1.jpg

Ms. Denmark
01-07-2010, 06:16 PM
Congratulations on the new Lincoln!! NICE color! LOL

Glockafella
01-07-2010, 08:25 PM
Hope it runs great for ya! Enjoy the curves! These things handle fairly well.

rayjay
01-07-2010, 10:13 PM
Hope it runs great for ya! Enjoy the curves! These things handle fairly well.

Thanks! We won't find out on the handling until April as she is going from the dealer to the tire store for her studded snow shoes which are 215/55/17 instead of the 235/50/17 Conti Contacts that come on her. A little skinnier, but same diameter, perfect for snow shoes and our driving conditions here in the hills until spring.