PDA

View Full Version : Coming Soon: Smog Testing...

FordNut
01-07-2010, 03:19 PM
Yep, coming soon to your neighborhood. Smog testing for everybody. The current administration's policies to turn the EPA loose on the citizens. Gonna let the tree huggers legislate us performance-oriented types out.

SC Cheesehead
01-07-2010, 03:22 PM
Yep, coming soon to your neighborhood. Smog testing for everybody. The current administration's policies to turn the EPA loose on the citizens. Gonna let the tree huggers legislate us performance-oriented types out.

C.Y.C.B.I...:rolleyes:

Joe Walsh
01-07-2010, 03:40 PM
Maryland has had emmissions testing for many years now.

It has actually gotten better!

It used to be annual tests on a rolling dynamometer with a tailpipe sniffer...now it is once every two years and they just plug in to your OBDII port and check for any codes.
Clear any codes before you go for the test and it is a breeze.

Also, In Maryland 'Historic' vehicles are exempt from emissions testing and to be registered as 'Historic' the vehicle previously had to be 25 years or older, now it is only 20 years or older.

CWright
01-07-2010, 03:42 PM
Pollution! Next, we will have to call Mr. Obama and ask permission to take a dump!

ImpalaSlayer
01-07-2010, 03:43 PM
Delaware does the same thing as Joe described. if the car or truck has an obd2 port they just hook it up and check for codes. how ever you cant just clear the codes the readiness moniters have to be ready ( i think i said that right). if the car or truck has no obd2 it gets the tail pipe sniffer.

dohc324ci
01-07-2010, 03:50 PM
Please provide link....I think cali is already there...

FordNut
01-07-2010, 04:35 PM
Georgia just changed their testing, it's an OBD2 reading but it verifies that things like rear O2 sensors haven't been turned off in the tune as well as several other parameters that weren't previously checked. Lots of people with performance tunes that had passed in previous years all of a sudden failed.

Joe Walsh
01-07-2010, 04:47 PM
Georgia just changed their testing, it's an OBD2 reading but it verifies that things like rear O2 sensors haven't been turned off in the tune as well as several other parameters that weren't previously checked. Lots of people with performance tunes that had passed in previous years all of a sudden failed.

What is the difference between having the rear O2 sensors turned off in the tune vs. installing a pair of "O2 delete wiring harnesses" that plug in between the OEM harness and the rear O2 sensors?
I bought a set from Dallas Mustang about 5 years ago when I did my exhaust and I've never thrown a code or had an emissions test fail.

FordNut
01-07-2010, 05:27 PM
What is the difference between having the rear O2 sensors turned off in the tune vs. installing a pair of "O2 delete wiring harnesses" that plug in between the OEM harness and the rear O2 sensors?
I bought a set from Dallas Mustang about 5 years ago when I did my exhaust and I've never thrown a code or had an emissions test fail.

I don't know about those, I think they're called MIL eliminators.

I think my tuner has a workaround for the rear O2 sensors.

My problem is going to be the EGR delete. I would have preferred to leave it functional, but the EGR valve wouldn't clear the wiper housing/cowl assembly. I guess I'll have to modify it (or find a good testing station).

ImpalaSlayer
01-07-2010, 05:29 PM

My problem is going to be the EGR delete. I would have preferred to leave it functional, but the EGR valve wouldn't clear the wiper housing/cowl assembly. I guess I'll have to modify it (or find a good testing station).

they are doing visual inspections? they never even pop the hood on mine.

FordNut
01-07-2010, 05:34 PM
they are doing visual inspections? they never even pop the hood on mine.

They don't have to look. They can tell from the data downloaded from the OBD2 port if the EGR system is turned off as well as the O2 sensors.

FordNut
01-07-2010, 05:36 PM
They don't look as closely at the data in most places, but they CAN and eventually they probably WILL.

Joe Walsh
01-07-2010, 05:36 PM

That's it, you're right!.....They were called 'MIL' eliminators.

ImpalaSlayer
01-07-2010, 06:02 PM
boo i dont want to put my egr back on, its ugly

Joe Walsh
01-07-2010, 06:09 PM
I had to bend and stretch the crap out of my EGR tube to get it to fit with the Kook's headers and the intake manifold spacer.
If I ever have to take it off it will probably break apart...:(

FordNut
01-07-2010, 06:09 PM
I need to find a Cobra EGR tube.

justbob
01-07-2010, 06:11 PM
No offense to the non tested crowd but, GOOD! If I have to do it then everybody should. It's only fair!

justbob
01-07-2010, 06:15 PM
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=58880&highlight=byron post 15. Just gives another idea of a neat way to relocate the egr. Of course, this wouldn't work for you Brian, but kinda cool none the less.

ImpalaSlayer
01-07-2010, 06:17 PM
i dig how he did that, very cool.

FordNut
01-07-2010, 06:21 PM
No offense to the non tested crowd but, GOOD! If I have to do it then everybody should. It's only fair!
:neener: :fishslap: :cheesed: :argh: :bop:

justbob
01-07-2010, 06:34 PM
:D....................Sorry, I've been dealing with this since the early nineties!:beer:

Back when they rammed their stick up my tailpipe it REALLY sucked! Failed way too many times in the old Camaro's.:mad:

Mr. Man
01-07-2010, 08:52 PM
Jersey's been doing smog for as long as I can remember, but then again we do have some of the freshest air in the USA

Glockafella
01-07-2010, 09:06 PM

Yeah, I bet the Jews in Nazi Germany were saying that about the little yellow stars on there jackets...

Just bend over and take it in the tailpipe...literally!

I am not happy about the Government messing with our cars, Screw that!
We should all be grandfathered into this system, If you buy a new car and it requires emission testing yearly...then thats understood, not GOOD...but at least you knew about it going into the purchase. I bought my car with no intention or forewarning about any emissions testing, and therefore should be excluded.

Glockafella
01-07-2010, 09:11 PM
And by the way AL GORE! Its -7 outside, will be -20 tommarrow...take your Nobel Peace Prize for Global Warming and throw it in my fireplace!!! Then go kill yourself!

http://www.irintech.com/x1/images/jean/al_gore_internet.jpg

Glockafella
01-07-2010, 09:14 PM
In case you havent noticed, I am bored.

FordNut
01-07-2010, 09:26 PM
I'm cold.

Looks like we broke the 7-day record for consecutive days below freezing, set in 1942. Next coldest spell was in 1895 or so, I don't think we're gonna break that one. It was 12 consecutive days.

Global warming is freezing me.

dohc324ci
01-08-2010, 01:03 AM
You guys got to watch MSNBC more then you will be really informed/enriched.

ctrlraven
01-08-2010, 08:17 AM
Maryland has had emmissions testing for many years now.

It has actually gotten better!

It used to be annual tests on a rolling dynamometer with a tailpipe sniffer...now it is once every two years and they just plug in to your OBDII port and check for any codes.
Clear any codes before you go for the test and it is a breeze.

Also, In Maryland 'Historic' vehicles are exempt from emissions testing and to be registered as 'Historic' the vehicle previously had to be 25 years or older, now it is only 20 years or older.
Yep and I believe they also got rid of the rollers because a lot of the tuner kids made their cars so low they would have to get an exemption so now they do the IDLE test and 2000 or 2500 rpm test with the tailpipe sniffer pre 1995 vehicles.