PDA

View Full Version : Days gone buy from Ford and Mercury!

Pops
01-09-2010, 07:49 AM
How many of these dealerships do you remember!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bossmustang/sets/72157622945726489/show/
Its funny how far we have come. Enjoy!:)

a_d_a_m
01-09-2010, 08:16 AM
I don't remember any of them, but that's a cool set of pix. Thanks for sharing.

Joe Walsh
01-09-2010, 08:16 AM
...............4 !

The first one pictured....Al Packer Ford in Baltimore!

I attended several car shows at Academy Ford in Laurel.....back in the day.

Also remember Joe Grimm Ford in Randallstown.

Shaffer Ford is still out* in Oakland, Md. (*way way western Maryland, out past Deep Creek lake)

guspech750
01-09-2010, 08:17 AM
Wow. That is really cool. Those are some great photos.

Joe Walsh
01-09-2010, 08:21 AM
Looking at those pictures sometimes makes me wish I could go back to a simpler time....
American automobiles ruled!, no emissions laws, gas was 35 cents/gallon,
and you could buy an inexpensive Ford sedan with a 427 FE big block with 2x4bbls, a 4 speed and a bench seat!

Pops
01-09-2010, 08:23 AM
Did you notice how many sold gas?

Phrog_gunner
01-09-2010, 08:49 AM
Did you notice how many sold gas?

I was noticing that. I think I was born in the wrong era.

CROWNMARAUDER
01-09-2010, 08:52 AM
Great pictures. Thank you for sharing them!

Stoneblue
01-09-2010, 08:53 AM
The one in Winter Haven Fl was in bldg. w/ 1927 over the door, they were the original occupants and were there until the 70s. I'd love to have one of those old glass type gas pumps next to my driveway. A cat out on I-95 near Cocoa has one with a whole little garage setup. It's visible from the N bound lanes.

swordfish
01-09-2010, 08:55 AM
Great pictures

jgc61sr2002
01-09-2010, 09:38 AM
Thanks.
And the list goes on and on.:(

Apple Ford
Christinsen and Weiss

dakslim
01-09-2010, 10:03 AM
Mark Ford in Guilford, Ct. I believe is the same guy who I bought my GM and Marauder in New Milford, Ct. His name is Mark Palladino.

Glenn
01-09-2010, 10:04 AM
What was surprising was the relatively small size of nearly every Ford Dealer. It was more of the home town type of dealer - long gone today. You could literally order almost any combination of a Ford performance car in the 60's. I have seen factory '65 Falcons with 289 hi-po engines and 9" rears with 4 speeds, 427 4 speed station wagons, 427 '67 Mustangs, etc. And if Ford wouldn't sell it to you the dealer would put any engine you wanted into your Ford car. What was really neat were dealers that would install hot cams, 8V and better gears in your car for small money to sell you the car.

They were better times, but time and progress moves us on in life nothing stays the same for long. Think gas at $0.25/gallon and a burger, fries and a coke all for $0.35 and this was in the mid 60s.

But, in all honestly things are really good now that we have "Change" that many of us blindly voted for. :cool:

Glenn Ford

dakslim
01-09-2010, 10:05 AM
I was noticing that. I think I was born in the wrong era.

It was great back then. Every fall when the new cars came out (top secret until then) my buddies and I would go to all the dealerships and drool over the new models. It was something I looked forward to every year.:rolleyes:

william s
01-09-2010, 10:36 AM
I do not remember any but the pictures were great. Thanks

DOOM
01-09-2010, 11:32 AM
Youre showing your age old man. :geezer:

Pops
01-09-2010, 11:46 AM
Youre showing your age old man. :geezer:

Maybe Jake! Remember I was able to be around for the glory days of the sixtys. I started hanging around cars when I was very young. My mom was the offfice manager of two Ford dealers from 1963 thru 1971. I was able to drive a lot of the cars that people dream about and have to say it was fun! Cobra Jet cars and all sorts of Mustangs when they were new. Whats amazing is how hard it was for the dealers to sell these Hi Performance cars. The insurance was nuts on them. How about the big Galaxies with 428 and 429 engines in them. Great cruisers that were fast. Re read Kirks thread on the history of the Marauder. I knew people who dreamed about owning one of those Mercurys. Times have changed since then for sure. I guess none of the young guys know what it was like to hang out at the local garages like we were able to do. I have a lot of great memories of my youth Jake. Most of those people are gone now.Yes you are right about showing my age!:beer:

SC Cheesehead
01-09-2010, 12:22 PM
It was great back then. Every fall when the new cars came out (top secret until then) my buddies and I would go to all the dealerships and drool over the new models. It was something I looked forward to every year.:rolleyes:

Same here!

The new model open house was a big deal every year. We lived in a small town and this was one of the big events of the year back in the 60's. The dealers would stay open late (back then to around 9:00 pm), the showroom as well as the service bays would be filled with all the new models, refreshments were served, we'd load up on brochures, I think I've still got some 63 - 65 Ford and Chevy posters stashed somewhere back at my folk's house.

megaforcer
01-09-2010, 01:19 PM
The first one pictured....Al Packer Ford in Baltimore!

Al Packer is still in business. There are 4 of them in south FL.
http://www.alpackerautogroup.com/

Joe Walsh
01-09-2010, 01:38 PM
What was surprising was the relatively small size of nearly every Ford Dealer. It was more of the home town type of dealer - long gone today. You could literally order almost any combination of a Ford performance car in the 60's. I have seen factory '65 Falcons with 289 hi-po engines and 9" rears with 4 speeds, 427 4 speed station wagons, 427 '67 Mustangs, etc. And if Ford wouldn't sell it to you the dealer would put any engine you wanted into your Ford car. What was really neat were dealers that would install hot cams, 8V and better gears in your car for small money to sell you the car.
Glenn Ford

Check out this link to incredible cars that were built back in the 60s.

http://www.dearbornflashback.com/xfiles.asp

Scroll down to the '67 428 V8, 4 speed, bucket seat Country Squire wagon.

I've seen this car at the Ford Carlisle meet...all original, a little rough....but what a cool old Ford!
It is a real car that was special ordered with Lee Iacocca's approval.
One of one ever built....:bows:

BTW: I'd like to find that factory built '66 427 SOHC Galaxie!

Big Black Beast
01-09-2010, 01:50 PM
Good stuff there. Thanks for posting that link.

Takes me back to the good 'ol days (before I was born).:rolleyes:

SC Cheesehead
01-09-2010, 01:54 PM
Check out this link to incredible cars that were built back in the 60s.

http://www.dearbornflashback.com/xfiles.asp

Scroll down to the '67 428 V8, 4 speed, bucket seat Country Squire wagon.

I've seen this car at the Ford Carlisle meet...all original, a little rough....but what a cool old Ford!
It is a real car that was special ordered with Lee Iacocca's approval.
One of one ever built....:bows:

BTW: I'd like to find that factory built '66 427 SOHC Galaxie!

Right behind you on this one, bubba! :2thumbs:

FastMerc
01-09-2010, 03:50 PM
Those are cool it would be neat to see what the buildings are being used for today. The one Bob Gillingham Ford is still open today and that part of building still in use,It is on Brookpark rd in Parma ohio.They deal in alot of vintage Ford muscle,last time I was there they had a 66 427 Fairlane it was cool... :)

MrBluGruv
01-09-2010, 04:00 PM
Pretty sure the picture of Jordan Ford 1973 is the Jordan Ford from down here in San Antonio. Place is a bit of an institution when it comes to Ford dealerships down here, they've been around forever. I go there occasionally to browse Mustangs. :)

SMOKE
01-09-2010, 04:25 PM
Just amazing photos...could stare at them for hours....and jeez... some of the neon bolted to the outside of those buildings!? And the designs....I swear I was born in the wrong decade sometimes because I LOVE all that classic architecture....

Thanks for sharing!

Best,
Jonathan

Donny Carlson
01-09-2010, 04:46 PM
Tim Wellborn made a fortune in cabinets, and could afford to buy an old Chevrolet dealership to turn into a private muscle car museum to, well, house his muscle car collection. He has a lot of MOPARS, but some GM and Fords, too. His museum is about 30 miles outside of Birmingham. Check this out -

Outside shots

http://www.legendarycollectorcars.com/car-museums/on-tour/legendary-tours/dodge-daytona-plymouth-superbird-ford-talladega-mercury-cyclone-40th-reunion-at-talladega-super-speedway/wellborn-muscle-car-museum-outside-photos/?AID=10546635&PID=3193580

and inside:

http://www.legendarycollectorcars.com/car-museums/on-tour/legendary-tours/dodge-daytona-plymouth-superbird-ford-talladega-mercury-cyclone-40th-reunion-at-talladega-super-speedway/wellborn-muscle-car-museum-inside-photos/?AID=10546635&PID=3193580

Glenn
01-09-2010, 05:41 PM
Joe:

I was driving home from work in 1970 in my 1964 Fairlane Hardtop 289-4V 4 speed and went past a AMC dealer's used car lot. I spotted out of the corner of my eye a Bullit Green '68 Mustang with strange geometric graphics. There is a name for this type of paint, but it escapes me. Since this is an AMC dealer and it had a Mustang in it for sale I deceided to pull over and look at it. I opened the hood and it had a 427 W engine in it. I was shocked to see it. I distinctly remember reading that Ford had advertised 427 Mustangs in '68, but a UAW's strike killed the 427 and they replaced it with a 428.

I quickly run into the dealer's showroom and told him I wanted to buy the Mustang. He said he needed $100 down to hold the car. I told him I would be back in 30 minutes with the money. I drove home as fast as the little 289 would go, beg my Mom for $40 money to make up the $100 and drove back to the AMC dealers. I ran back into the dealer's showroom and shoved my $100 into the salesman hands. He said sorry, a guy came in right after you and gave me $100 and signed a contract the car is gone. :bigcry: Was I upset. Not the first time a super car was pulled out from under me. I can tell you the story of stopping over to see a rough '65 Shelby Mustang with the original sidepipes, test drove the car and turned down the car because it was too loud - DUMMY me. I mean it had straight exhausts. I think the price was $3,000. Memories.

Glenn Ford :burnout:

MrBluGruv
01-09-2010, 05:53 PM
Tim Wellborn made a fortune in cabinets, and could afford to buy an old Chevrolet dealership to turn into a private muscle car museum to, well, house his muscle car collection. He has a lot of MOPARS, but some GM and Fords, too. His museum is about 30 miles outside of Birmingham. Check this out -

Outside shots

http://www.legendarycollectorcars.com/car-museums/on-tour/legendary-tours/dodge-daytona-plymouth-superbird-ford-talladega-mercury-cyclone-40th-reunion-at-talladega-super-speedway/wellborn-muscle-car-museum-outside-photos/?AID=10546635&PID=3193580

and inside:

http://www.legendarycollectorcars.com/car-museums/on-tour/legendary-tours/dodge-daytona-plymouth-superbird-ford-talladega-mercury-cyclone-40th-reunion-at-talladega-super-speedway/wellborn-muscle-car-museum-inside-photos/?AID=10546635&PID=3193580

Funny that they mention the book "Art of the Muscle Car" in the article from the first link, I got that book as a Christmas gift from my parents.:D

Mr. Man
01-09-2010, 07:30 PM
I think Gilboy is around here someplace. I was looking for Smith Motors. They are one of the oldest still in existence. They opened in 1926 and the even still sell tractors.
One pic had a VW p'up in it and that brought back memories of my buddies dads "estate" wagon they used to use on their property.
Thanks for posting the old pics.

Mr. Man
01-09-2010, 07:36 PM
Joe:

I was driving home from work in 1970 in my 1964 Fairlane Hardtop 289-4V 4 speed and went past a AMC dealer's used car lot. I spotted out of the corner of my eye a Bullit Green '68 Mustang with strange geometric graphics. There is a name for this type of paint, but it escapes me. Since this is an AMC dealer and it had a Mustang in it for sale I deceided to pull over and look at it. I opened the hood and it had a 427 W engine in it. I was shocked to see it. I distinctly remember reading that Ford had advertised 427 Mustangs in '68, but a UAW's strike killed the 427 and they replaced it with a 428.

I quickly run into the dealer's showroom and told him I wanted to buy the Mustang. He said he needed $100 down to hold the car. I told him I would be back in 30 minutes with the money. I drove home as fast as the little 289 would go, beg my Mom for $40 money to make up the $100 and drove back to the AMC dealers. I ran back into the dealer's showroom and shoved my $100 into the salesman hands. He said sorry, a guy came in right after you and gave me $100 and signed a contract the car is gone. :bigcry: Was I upset. Not the first time a super car was pulled out from under me. I can tell you the story of stopping over to see a rough '65 Shelby Mustang with the original sidepipes, test drove the car and turned down the car because it was too loud - DUMMY me. I mean it had straight exhausts. I think the price was $3,000. Memories.

This reminded me of a story my dad tells of finding some sort of Bugatti on a lot in the late 50's and the used car guy wanted like a 1000 dollars for it and my grandfather wouldn't front my dad a few bucks for a deposit. Sometime in the early 90's my dad read an article for the same kind of Bugatti and it sold for close to a million dollars.

69428SCJ
01-09-2010, 08:14 PM
Joe:

Glenn, I certainly don't want to rain on your memory parade and I could be wrong, but many Cougar and Mustang guys I know have said there there were no 68 mustangs with a W-code in the VIN. I believe Kevin Marti of martiauto.com, the lessee of Ford's 1967-1979 production records can confirm this. Not to stat any disagreements, but I just want to make no misinformation is out there.

Glenn
01-09-2010, 09:51 PM
I can only report on what I saw or I would not have drove home in 1970 as a young kid to buy it. I knew I had a rare find as the quick sale to the other guy proved who beat me to it - he also knew he had something unique. I knew my Fords in this period.

Glenn Ford

69428SCJ
01-09-2010, 10:32 PM
I understand, I mainly based my comment on always hearing my cougar friends saying, "the mustang guys are always jealous because the GT-E had the W-code and none of theirs had one".

Brian H
01-09-2010, 10:42 PM
Anyway!, back to the foto spread...... I believe the "town and country Ford" is up around Spectragods neck of the woods. And could the "Bill Davis Ford" be the one that had all the factory sponsored 428 CJ drag cars?. going to watch the video again just for the hxxl of it.

Brian H
01-09-2010, 11:03 PM
whooooopppsss......... completely wrong. Also, if you click on the Boss Mustang heading in the top left corner, you can navigate around to get the pic's with dealer locations. good thing i went back for the hxxl of it.

jdando
01-10-2010, 06:02 AM
Good stuff John! I too find myself nostalgic for the old days.

FastMerc
01-10-2010, 07:39 AM

Outside shots

and inside:

Wow this is so cool all it takes is money,and he appears to have alot!

Larry Durham
01-10-2010, 09:22 AM
Back to the dealerships, Millbury Ford moved to a new location in the early 80's, one town over to Auburn Ma. I bought my MM there, still in busniess ( bearly).
Leominster Ford became a LM dealer. My wife bought her 01 Tauras there, closed last year.