PDA

View Full Version : The new woman in my life...

W4LTD
01-12-2010, 03:54 PM
Well, after months of searching the various rescues and shelters, I have finally found the one. Her name is Sophie and she's six-years old. She was abandoned and then found as a stray near Orlando. The "wait period" is over and I get to pick her up on Friday... :D

She will be my second dachshund-mix, my other little guy - Peanut - suffered a back injury (which was beyond surgery) and had to be euthanized back on June 29th, the day before my 37th birthday. He was only five-years old. :bigcry:

She will never replace my Peanut, but she will definitely help to fill the void. ;)

http://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww275/ColoRich/sophie.jpghttp://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww275/ColoRich/sophie2.jpghttp://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww275/ColoRich/sophie3.jpg

MM03MOK
01-12-2010, 03:56 PM
What a cutie!!

W4LTD
01-12-2010, 04:01 PM
Thanks Mary, I have always had a love for dogs. In the past, I usually preferred German Shepherds, but I have been leaning towards dachshunds lately because they have such a great personality, in such a compact size.

swordfish
01-12-2010, 04:01 PM
:congrats:
Mine loves to ride. He gets mad if I leave without him.

a_d_a_m
01-12-2010, 04:04 PM
Cute dog!!!

ntd
01-12-2010, 04:11 PM
:congrats: and I love that you adopted her:2thumbs:. I'm sure she appropriates it.

W4LTD
01-12-2010, 04:22 PM
Thanks for the Kudo's...

:congrats:
Mine loves to ride. He gets mad if I leave without him.

Many doxies can suffer from separation anxiety. When I adopted Peanut, he was about 2 years old, and he used to chew incessantly whenever I left the house. He [luckily] outgrew that, but it was certainly a challenge.

:congrats: and I love that you adopted her:2thumbs:. I'm sure she appropriates it.

I have always believed in adopting, rather than buying from a breeder.

swordfish
01-12-2010, 04:50 PM
Many doxies can suffer from separation anxiety. When I adopted Peanut, he was about 2 years old, and he used to chew incessantly whenever I left the house. He [luckily] outgrew that, but it was certainly a challenge.

When we got scooter home from the pound house trained him the 1st time and only time we left him home alone. I had to spend $600.00 to have all the trim replaced around the exit doors of our house.

W4LTD
01-12-2010, 04:57 PM
When we got scooter home from the pound house trained him the 1st time and only time we left him home alone. I had to spend $600.00 to have all the trim replaced around the exit doors of our house.

OUCH!

It makes me feel better hearing this, sorry. ;) When I first got Peanut, I went to Orlando for a conference and after only being gone for about three hours, he managed to shred 5 throw-pillows from the new Ethan Allen living room set -- it literally looked as if a cotton blizzard hit the room! Needless to say, I started to block off the living room after that... :rolleyes:

cougar9150
01-12-2010, 05:23 PM
That's great, I'm glad you adopted a dog that really needed a home. I agree with you and only get rescued animals.

I'm sorry for your loss though, my dogs are my kids and can't imagine it.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G using Tapatalk

Mr. Man
01-12-2010, 05:33 PM
She is beautiful! We can highly recommend Dachshunds as we have had four. Like you, our five year old, Jaime, suffered a catastrophic back injury. We had to make the gut wrenching decision to end her life. We still cry over that one. They are wonderful "big" dogs in small packages. Wishing you both a long and happy life together!

W4LTD
01-12-2010, 05:50 PM
Thank you for the kind words. Even 7-months after his untimely departure, I still tear whenever I see a photo of Peanut. It's so uncanny, but whenever I get up from my recliner when watching TV, I [still] expect to see Peanut jump off his couch to run over to me -- ready to follow me wherever I am going. Or his ears perk-up when I make the come-and-get-it sound ("Yummmmmies!") at dinnertime. :alone:

Ms. Denmark
01-12-2010, 06:55 PM
Your Sophie looks like a really sweet girl! You are right to say she will never replace Peanut in your heart. She is "because" of him not in place of him. Someday when I leave this world, I fully expect to see all of my beloved 4 legged companions waiting to greet me as I pass through the Pearly Gates.;) Heaven won't be paradise without them! LOL Keep us posted on what you and Sophie are up to, from time to time. Congratulations and long, happy years ahead for both of you.!

bob6364
01-12-2010, 07:07 PM
Well, after months of searching the various rescues and shelters, I have finally found the one. Her name is Sophie and she's six-years old. She was abandoned and then found as a stray near Orlando. The "wait period" is over and I get to pick her up on Friday... :D

She will be my second dachshund-mix, my other little guy - Peanut - suffered a back injury (which was beyond surgery) and had to be euthanized back on June 29th, the day before my 37th birthday. He was only five-years old. :bigcry:

She will never replace my Peanut, but she will definitely help to fill the void. ;)

http://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww275/ColoRich/sophie.jpghttp://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww275/ColoRich/sophie2.jpghttp://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww275/ColoRich/sophie3.jpg

She would have great fun with Ms.Aggee :D Nothin like a hound dog...
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t153/bob6364/Mobile%20Uploads/0826081858.jpg

SC Cheesehead
01-12-2010, 08:32 PM
Oh man, you are one lucky guy!!

We love dachshunds. We have four of them, three of which are rescue doxies.

Like you, we lost one and like you said, you can't replace, just try and fill the void. In the case of my old buddy Stout, it took two.

Stout, right before his back injury. Brothers Otto and Smeagol, we got them a couple weeks after I had to put Stout down.

PhastPhil
01-12-2010, 10:11 PM
Sophie is a real cutie pie. She looks like a Doxie / Beagle mix.

My avatar pic is my big guy, Tucker, a Shepherd / Dane mix rescue. We he passed away 2 1/2 years ago and I still miss him everyday !

My wife and I both volunteer with rescue groups, so we are glad to see so many members here adopted their beloved pets.

Mike Poore
01-13-2010, 11:23 AM
What a sweet looking pup. Sophie looks just like our Kid's Hope, who lives out in Ohio. Nice mix and size. Great choice....good for you. :)

W4LTD
01-22-2010, 05:09 PM
It is with deep regret that I must say this, but Sophie passed away about an hour ago -- from what her veterinarian thinks was canine distemper.

Her symptoms began Tuesday with a slight cough and progressed into vomiting, so extreme she was continuously moaning last night. It was horrific, to say the least. At first, Dr. Meyerer thought it might be a new strain of influenza, because she was vaccinated for distemper on January 8th, but not the newest "dog flu" which is going around. She showed a temperature of 103F and was given two shots last night, one anti-biotic and one to relieve her pain from vomiting.

I brought her back this morning due to her incessant vomiting and her temperature was now 99F (dogs are normally 101F) and becoming dehydrated. She was placed in an incubator to bring her temperature back up to 101F and it was decided to leave her hospitalized over the weekend for the best effort to heal.

About a half-hour before she passed, she began to get muscle spasms (along with the fever and vomiting, this is a telltale sign of distemper) and then passed away at about 6pm. She suffered little to no pain, due to her quick passage.

May God Rest Her Little Soul...

--Rich

CBT
01-22-2010, 05:25 PM
Awwwwwwww, man. Hate to hear it. :(

TAKEDOWN
01-23-2010, 02:49 AM
Oh man, I really hate hearing stuff like this... That sucks, but you gave that dog a warm home and a great life.

MM03MOK
01-23-2010, 06:16 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this, Rich. I know Sophie was in your life for a very short time but she needed you very much to be with her. She and Peanut are playing together over the Rainbow Bridge now.

SC Cheesehead
01-23-2010, 07:54 AM
Oh man, I am so sorry to hear this. My thoughts go out to you.

W4LTD
01-23-2010, 08:53 AM
Thanks for all the kind words and thoughts -- you are all truly a wonderful group of people.

Sophie brought me an immense amount of joy for the week she was with me and I have solace knowing that she did not suffer before her passing. Hopefully, she'll meet up with Peanut quickly so they may enjoy their stay in doggie heaven together...

Rest in Peace my little Sophie... January 20, 2004 - January 22, 2010
http://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww275/ColoRich/Sophie4.jpg

Mr. Man
01-23-2010, 09:04 AM
So sorry for your loss. I'm sure she was grateful to you and your family for letting her be apart of the family. The pain of loss will eventually subside but the memories of such a great friend will last you and yours a lifetime. God Bless.

swordfish
01-23-2010, 09:18 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this. God bless!

Mark