PDA

View Full Version : She's BACK!!! And...better than EVER!!!

TAF
11-03-2003, 08:11 PM
After 42 days, I finally drove her home tonight. I've now "taken delivery" for the 3rd time and she's better....stronger....faster.. .. Than EVER!!!
Look at her! (http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/showphoto.php?photo=1185)

Let's recap from an earlier post:
Let me start by giving you my stock baseline numbers from August of '02 when there were 2500 clicks on her.

Bone Stock – 241.9 RWHP 261.2 RWTQ

That same day after installing Dennis’ chip, 4:10’s, ‘Stat and Cooler Copper Plugs (not the Denzos)
RPC Stage 1 - 252.0 RWHP 283.6 RWTQ

Then I wanted to see a NEW baseline to see what effect the pullies had since my last pull. Especially since I posted that I could definitely tell a “seat-of-the-pants” difference immediately after the install. Well...I wasn’t imagining things…(now keep in mind there are about 10K clicks since the Dyno posted above and the car has continued to feel better as the miles run up) But….

After Pullies - 267.0 RWHP 288.5 RWTQ !!!

So…with that new baseline, it was time to get the “fine-tune” from Jerry and the FordChip boys. After he fixed the AFR (air-fuel ratio) and made a couple of tweeks…here are my final numbers after the tune - 272.7 RWHP 297.3 RWTQ

Now to the past couple of weeks:

After she had set in the Body Shop for 3 weeks getting a new face-lift and a new rear end...we strapped her down for some new baseline #s...

New Baseline - 268.9 RWHP 294.8 RWTQ

I remember post more than a year and a half ago that said you "won't get ANY gain from upgrading the exhaust". But, we have some choices out there and I looked at all of them. I spoke with Nick at Kooks who was a GREAT guy and pondered whether to go in this direction. I was also impressed with what was stated as the HP & TQ gains with the Kooks headers. However, upon closer review of the dyno sheets posted, I didn't see the across-the-board gain that I was looking for or feel that the total numbers given were on the right track for me. As well, my car is still my business car and I was concerned about moving the collectors under the passenger compartment and what affect that would have on interior noise.

So I knew what I needed to do...and, anyway...my car has been improved and enhanced by Reinhart Performance, it's a Reinhart car...so I then turned to Dennis....again. The next decision was to do either the ported & polished manifolds or the SVO shorties. I must say that I made an aesthetic decision as well as a performance decision...I LOVE the looks of those shorties over the manifolds. So with the final decision made, I had installed Dennis' shorty headers, x-pipe and hi-flow cats. I also wanted to provide for the board something that had not been posted before...a TRUE before/after install of this single mod. What did I get? 15 RWHP & 15 RWTQ...across the board!!!

However, during the install we had to re-use the 2" pipes from the stock H-pipe back to reach from Dennis' kit to the mufflers. This potential "bottle-neck" concerned me so I consulted an exhaust expert here in Atlanta. He designed a custom cat-back system which would include 2.5" direct pipes from the X-pipe to 2 new 18" Magnaflow mufflers. I then (once again concerned with aesthetics) wanted to do something about the tailpipes which you can see through the rear wheels. I thought about having them polished to have a smooth flow into the new OEM tips I purchased for replacement from Wes Chain...but, we decided the best thing to do was to paint them black and make them disappear...so that's what we did. We also moved the new tips out about 3/4" to make for a cleaner look that clears the rear bumper.

So...what are the final numbers now?

289.9 RWHP & 316.5 RWTQ!!!

I've almost met my goal of moving the stock, stated crank HP & TQ to the rear wheels, normally aspirated with simple bolt-ons from Dennis! And the car is unbelievable now!!! Now I'm ready for Jerry's visit on the 15th for a Dyno-tune to see how much more we can eak out of this engine!

You can examine the Dyno sheet below to see what can be gained from upgrading the exhaust from stock. Green = before exhaust upgrade Red = after installing Dennis' headers/x-pipe & hi-flow cats and Blue = after install of Dennis' kit with the cat-back upgrade.

Oh...and I also upgraded to a Baer Brake kit, braided-stainless steel brake lines from Kenny Brown, a real working Oil Pressure Gauge with the OEM face and I went ahead and put a new set of shoes on her at all 4 corners.(BFG's OEMs)

Pics are below and more are in the Gallery:

Baer Brakes (front) (http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/showphoto.php?photo=1190)

Baer (fronts) 2 (http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/showphoto.php?photo=1192)

Baer (rear) with Black painted OEM calipers (http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/showphoto.php?photo=1193)

Magnaflow 18" Stainless mufflers (http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/showphoto.php?photo=1191)

FINALLY...I get to post a pic of my red valve covers (http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/showphoto.php?photo=1187)

Steve Babcock's autograph and date on the coil covers (http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/showphoto.php?photo=1188)

I'm in love...all over again!!!

Mikeenh
11-03-2003, 08:14 PM
Welcome Home !! :up:

jgc61sr2002
11-03-2003, 08:58 PM
Todd - Glad to see you are back on the road.:D

drobin
11-03-2003, 09:08 PM
Todd,

Very happy to hear you've got your MM back. I can imagine how you felt for the pass 40+ days, but its behind you now. Thanks for the data on the mods (very impressive). I'll be hooking up with Dennis soon and will let you know. Welcome Back and drive extra careful....

Donald
"drobin"

chapel1
11-03-2003, 09:32 PM
very impressive number's Congrats,Great Post.:D

cruzer
11-03-2003, 09:35 PM
Todd, glad you have your baby back---don't try to make up all the lost time at once---enjoy. Guess I'll have to wait till Bristol? to see it . Don't challenge any more 18 wheelers. Maury

bigslim
11-03-2003, 09:40 PM
Love the red valve covers and the brakes. I know the brakes work well.

Petrograde
11-03-2003, 10:23 PM
Congrats Todd! :up: she looks sweeeet!!! I am very happy for the both of you!

Tom

LincMercLover
11-03-2003, 10:38 PM
Well it's about damn time! Hope you're enjoying life once again buddy! :up:

SergntMac
11-04-2003, 12:27 AM
Great to see you back on the blacktop again, Todd, congrats.

67435animal
11-04-2003, 02:42 AM
Todd, I know that you are one very happy guy. See you on the 15th.

I picked mine up this afternoon. They are trying to get me a new rear bumper. All the other paint problems have been fixed and it looks much better.

Fine folks, this guys at Team Ford Marietta! We're damn lucky to have them.

Bob

Marauderman
11-04-2003, 05:06 AM
Dag nab it!!! All I said was let us know how she roars---you didn't have to go and lay a bomb on us!!!!!!! WOW--Great --Can't wait to see your beauty again----happy for you buddy!!! See ya on the 14th....Tom

CRUZTAKER
11-04-2003, 05:49 AM
We missed hearing from you...and remember, one doesn't neccesarily have to have Marauder in hand to stay in touch. You were genuinely missed. Hopefully this MM rejuvenation will also provide us with a Tod rejuvenation!

Macon Marauder
11-04-2003, 06:01 AM
wow

WolfeBros
11-04-2003, 09:50 AM
Todd glad you have your car back. Congrats on the HP gains......very impressive. Nice to know your back......and ridin' in style again. :up:

Smokie
11-04-2003, 10:59 AM
WOW !!!!!!!!! Fantastic post. :bows: :bows: :bows: :burnout:

TAF
11-04-2003, 11:03 AM
It IS good to be "back"...

And, I hope the detailed post above can serve as a guideline for a lot of you as to what to expect in power upgrades to a N/A Marauder.

And...anyone coming to the Atlanta area...the keys are yours.:up:

prchrman
11-04-2003, 11:19 AM
happy for you...got to drive mine to work today...instead of the 88 tarus wagon beater...good CD in player...climate control on 72...grand touring to work...life is good my friend...life is good...

Fourth Horseman
11-04-2003, 12:46 PM
The new rotors and calipers look great! :up:

Marauderman
11-04-2003, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by TAF
It IS
And...anyone coming to the Atlanta area...the keys are yours.:up:

Alrighty then!!!!! That makes # 4 I want to drive---Whooopeee!!!

vaderv
11-04-2003, 01:12 PM
keeeoolll

Logan
11-04-2003, 04:20 PM
I soooooooooooooo need a fine tune on my car. Looks like it's worth it's weight in gold... Cool post TAF...

The only thing I'll note is that the Kook's collectors are still forward of the firewall and the high-flow's fit in the same place as the resonators.... :)

I'm impressed with the torque numbers. You're making about the same I'd expect if I was running pullies and a fine tune on the PCM... I'm just running a standard chip.

You're off about the power across the board though. The kook's are making a ton of power across the entire band. My dyno chart is misleading because we couldn't start the run until almost 4k rpm due to the stall....

But regardless, I'm impressed with the numbers, just goes to show what well thought out exhaust work can do for a car. :up:

Paul T. Casey
11-04-2003, 04:32 PM
Glad you're back together, and just in time for this deal at the Atlanta Dragway this Saturday!! I'm in Chattanooga again, have the weekend off, and $55 for me and the spouse to get a 1/4 mile baseline seems to be a good deal to me.

TAF
11-04-2003, 04:50 PM
Hey...looking forward to finally meeting you Paul! Hope to see you there!

SILVERMARAUDER
11-04-2003, 04:52 PM
I am real leary about letting a dealer work on my car who is your contact at Marietta Ford?

TAF
11-04-2003, 04:55 PM
Check your PMs SILVER...

Marauderman
11-04-2003, 04:55 PM
TAF---

-Make sure you got the camera ready for posting each night--cause it appears it's gonna be a huge weekend 15th-16th---heck--can there be movies made of this??? Oh --I hear the minds moving now!!!

gonzo50
11-08-2003, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by 67435animal
Todd, I know that you are one very happy guy. See you on the 15th.
Ditto Todd, you have impressive numbers there, especially the RWTQ. You may be the first to break the 300 plus RWHP in a naturally aspirated Marauder, way to go ! :rock:

Now about those BAER CLAWS, we'll talk some more.....:up:

RCSignals
11-08-2003, 10:23 PM
http://www.propresentations.org/files/emoticons/fly.gif

b4z
11-09-2003, 02:30 PM
50RWHP & 50 RWTQ is very impressive. Especially when it is bolt on only.
Dennis should call it the TAF5050 Package.

TAF
11-09-2003, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by b4z
Dennis should call it the TAF5050 Package.

That has a nice ring to it...:up:

Or...it could be called the "Marty needs to catch-up" Package:lol: