PDA

View Full Version : I mean, what could we do?

Mike Poore
01-14-2010, 11:58 AM
So, on our way back from shooting, last evening, Barb mentioned we were down to my last banana, and it being on our way home, we stopped at the Super Thief grocers in Emmetsburg to replenish the supply. You go in the door there, and turn right, past the veggies, then, next to the meat counter, and there they were: half a dozen, or so, blister packs of corned beef briskets. Wow, I said and looked for Barb who had vanished, it turns out, back to where they kept the cabbages. Having picked out the most perfect cabbage ever grown, she presented it to me with a large smile. Within moments we were on our way home to the Crockpot and deposited the treasure, along with a bunch of carrots and quartered red potatoes. We awoke to the heavenly smell permeating our home, and lovingly cut up the cabbage and tucked it in beside the treasures already in the pot. The memory of today's lunch will remain a highlight of this winter, second only, perhaps, to the wonderful time we had enjoying the hospitality at Gordon/Chris' annual New Year's gathering. :D

Haggis
01-14-2010, 12:13 PM
Thank you Mike...:santaw:

Paul T. Casey
01-14-2010, 12:13 PM
Bastage. I'm out here working on the road with no stove/pot/crockpot or corned-beef, quite possible the world's most perfect food. If you read the Bible at all, you know of the days it rained corned beef. I believe they called it manna back then, and it came from heaven. A fews years ago, I was working in Maryland around St. Paddy's day. I was in one of they efficency type hotels, so, having access to a stove, I decided to make my co-workers jealous and have me some corned beef lunches for the next week or so. I picked up 2 nice briskets, and slow boiled them with the proper seasoning for many hours. What a blissful aroma came from my room. Finally, they were done to perfection, and it came time to portion out my lunches. I'm not too sure what happened next, but I ended up returning to the grocery store for more briskets. Somehow, in the process of making my lunches, nearly all of the corned beef fell into my mouth. I know they cook down some, but the pre-cooked weights were both over 4 lbs. However, it remains on of my favorite meals to this day.

Big Black Beast
01-14-2010, 02:46 PM
I miss corned beef & cabbage...

LIGHTNIN1
01-14-2010, 05:34 PM
It doesn't get better than that.:drool:

Vortex
01-15-2010, 07:43 AM
In the Navy it was a regular item on the messdecks and called "New England Boiled Dinner".

chapel1
01-15-2010, 07:57 AM
What about the Bananas???? Did you forget to get what you went in for....?

CBT
01-15-2010, 08:01 AM
What about the Bananas???? Did you forget to get what you went in for....?

LMAO! This thread is great, and it makes me hungry:pancake:

Big Black Beast
01-15-2010, 01:53 PM
In the Navy it was a regular item on the messdecks and called "New England Boiled Dinner".

Boy, they really know how to name dishes.

I wonder if that's a psychological trick to make you eat less.

Mike Poore
01-15-2010, 02:44 PM
Gary, I bet it was Gail that asked that question. But, the answer is yes, we have some bannanas.

Oh, before I forget, they served it to those Navy boys because of the Potasium Nitrate. :D

J D
01-15-2010, 08:40 PM
MMM, I'm so hungry now, the best corned beef I've ever ate was at the world famous Carnegie deli here in NY. Its expensive, but it's becoming a tradition for what we get after a midnight Christmas mass, and other holidays/occasions.