PDA

View Full Version : Blinker almost broken again

Motorhead350
01-19-2010, 07:31 PM
The turning signal lever is almost shot. I really have to push it far up to put the turning signal on during a right hand turn. It hardly clicks in place. I know I have to replace a two dollar piece of plastic inside the steering colum, but I don't know how to get to it.

This is for the K5. (YES ANOTHER PROBELM and it's being posted on ck5.com too, but you guys know your stuff better.)

I have no idea how to do this and I know labor is $175 because this was done three years ago too.

If you have any idea let me know.

Keep your b1thcing to yourselves or just PM me for asking questions I do not have the answers to.

Thank you.

a_d_a_m
01-19-2010, 07:35 PM
Pay someone to ride around in the back with a flashlight, and just have them flash the flashlight on whatever side you're turning. And then pay someone to ride around on the hood for the front. :lol:

Motorhead350
01-19-2010, 07:39 PM
Adam come on I am trying to fix this bucket.

No Particular Place To Go.

fastblackmerc
01-19-2010, 07:40 PM
Did you know that almost only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades?

Motorhead350
01-19-2010, 07:42 PM
I thought it was relevant in cornhole too.

Fastblackmerc, any advice? I know you know something.

CBT
01-19-2010, 07:44 PM
It's in the steering column, that's for sure. You don't own any tools?

CBT
01-19-2010, 07:45 PM
I thought it was relevant in cornhole too.

Fastblackmerc, any advice? I know you know something.

"Bags" is the politically correct term.

Motorhead350
01-19-2010, 07:47 PM
I have tools, but I don't know how to take this apart and put it back together correctly.

Joe Walsh
01-19-2010, 07:47 PM
The turning signal lever is almost shot. I really have to push it far up to put the turning signal on during a right hand turn. It hardly clicks in place. I know I have to replace a two dollar piece of plastic inside the steering colum, but I don't know how to get to it.

This is for the K5. (YES ANOTHER PROBELM and it's being posted on ck5.com too, but you guys know your stuff better.)

I have no idea how to do this and I know labor is $175 because this was done three years ago too.

If you have any idea let me know.

Keep your b1thcing to yourselves or just PM me for asking questions I do not have the answers to.

Thank you.

Somehow I have the sneeking suspicion that it gets posted here because we put up with your voluminous posting and threads....
I've got to check out the C5 website and see how you are 'received' over there.
What's your screen name on CK5.com....'Motorhead350'?

BTW: Cheapest solution Dom: Snap off the turn signal stalk and revert to hand signals....they are still legal in most states.

a_d_a_m
01-19-2010, 07:50 PM
Adam come on I am trying to fix this bucket. I gave you a solution that doesn't even require that you fix it!

Phrog_gunner
01-19-2010, 07:51 PM
I have tools, but I don't know how to take this apart and put it back together correctly.

Someone should invent a book on how to work on cars so that people that are handy but may not know exactly how to do a job can learn how to do it. Maybe they can even put those picture things in there.

a_d_a_m
01-19-2010, 07:53 PM
http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265893

Motorhead350
01-19-2010, 07:54 PM
Those car books are normal things that people would do. Gaskets, battery, body. I have a shop book and it's no help. This is why I am asking here. I have the shop book, but there never seem to be answers for whatever is going wrong week after week.

My screen name on that site is SlicksInRain.

guspech750
01-19-2010, 08:21 PM
Here you go Dom. This is an easy and cheap fix.:o LOL

guspech750
01-19-2010, 08:22 PM
Here you go Dom. This is an easy and cheap fix.
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:S9hJ3xK2FpYHJM:ht tp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/archive/5/58/20061001054201!Bicycle_hand_si gnal_right_turn_USA.jpg (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/archive/5/58/20061001054201!Bicycle_hand_si gnal_right_turn_USA.jpg)

CBT
01-19-2010, 08:25 PM
My screen name on that site is SlicksInRain.

I didn't know you were Native American, sweet.

LIGHTNIN1
01-20-2010, 07:14 AM
Someone should invent a book on how to work on cars so that people that are handy but may not know exactly how to do a job can learn how to do it. Maybe they can even put those picture things in there.

:laugh::rofl:

Motorhead350
01-20-2010, 10:15 AM
I need a book like that.

bawazir
01-20-2010, 10:20 AM
Dude ask Zack? He might knows

Motorhead350
01-20-2010, 10:33 AM
Dude ask Zack? He might knows

He doesn't touch that stuff. He was the first I called.

RacerX
01-20-2010, 10:49 AM
You use a blinker??? :burnout:

Motorhead350
01-20-2010, 10:56 AM
You use a blinker??? :burnout:

Even when I am going 133 I still use it. I think my truck maxes out at 100 though.

RacerX
01-20-2010, 11:28 AM
Even when I am going 133 I still use it. I think my truck maxes out at 100 though.
? A hundred circus midgets? Not enough airbags!

Paul T. Casey
01-20-2010, 11:37 AM
. I have a shop book .

Shop manual or some other book. The shop manual should have this listed. By your description, it sounds as though the stem is loose. Usually, there's some sort of an attaching component which holds the steering column cover/trim in place. This could be screws, tabs or some other device. Look for a parting line on said trim, be it on the column or steering wheel assembly. The attaching components should be nearly perpendicular to the parting line.When you find said attaching component(s), remove them with the appropriate tool. Now, remove the trim/covering component. This should give you a view of where the stem goes into the actuation device for the turn signal. This actuation device is probably held in place on the steering colum assembly by more attatchment components. These will also need removal. Once the actuation device attachment components are removed, the actuation device should fall out into your hand. It shoul be roughly rectangular in its planar shape, with a cylindrical opening into which the stem fits. It will also probaly have wires connected to it. Mark and disconnect the wires. Inside this actuation device is some sort of switch. The stem operates said switch, turning on and off the approprite turn signal circutry. My guess is that the connection between the stem and switch is loose, probably due to normal wear and tear. Anyway, now that it is out, take it to your FLAPS, tell them what is out of, and ask if they would sell you a replacement. If they don't have one, ask where to get one. Upon obtaining said actuator, return home and re-install it. Re-installation is the reverse of about. Pay close attention to the orientation of the new switch when installing. If you re-install it 180 degrees out, your left signals will blink when you are making a right turn. Hope this helps.

J D
01-20-2010, 02:03 PM
You know I was just taking my marauder out for a spin today and I noticed how I am not as heavy handed with the MM as I am with the Honda. Granted I care very little for the Honda but, after using it again for the first time in a while, it felt light and not as solid, which makes me wonder if Ford went cheap on the turnsignal assembly?

n3fvg
01-20-2010, 02:13 PM

They have two already...Chilton's Manual and Factory Service Manual :lol:

Big Black Beast
01-20-2010, 02:22 PM
Does anybody have the Clilton CD/book thingy? Is it worth buying?

And Motorhead350, quit yanking on the dang thing so hard.
Just flicking it gently gets the job done.

n3fvg
01-20-2010, 02:27 PM

I actually have the specific model Chilton books for a few of my vehicles. I do have one for the 2004 Crown Vic/Grand Marquis but they do not make one specific to the Marauder. I think they are okay, will get you by on most repairs, but of course the factory service manual is the best.:burnout:

Joe Walsh
01-20-2010, 02:35 PM

That is good advice for the turn signal stalk as well!

Big Black Beast
01-20-2010, 02:48 PM
I actually have the specific model Chilton books for a few of my vehicles. I do have one for the 2004 Crown Vic/Grand Marquis but they do not make one specific to the Marauder. I think they are okay, will get you by on most repairs, but of course the factory service manual is the best.:burnout:

I saw one on somewhere, maybe Rockauto, that had the Chilton one on CD. It wasn't that expensive.

LIGHTNIN1
01-20-2010, 03:25 PM
:dunno:Someone here uses blinkers?