PDA

View Full Version : Conan FTW, NBC FTL! Round 2

ctrlraven
01-21-2010, 01:15 PM
If you don't know Conan took over the Tonight Show from Leno and now NBC is kicking Conan out and putting Leno back in. So Conan is having fun during his last week..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0ik-IGApkI
N0ik-IGApkI

Cougar_Marauder
01-21-2010, 01:28 PM
Hahaha, Conan is the best, I don't know how his ratings could be low enuff to warrent pushing him back. NBC is going to regret this.

duhtroll
01-21-2010, 01:32 PM
Yep - Conan said it himself in the video.

"We're going to introduce new comedy bits that aren't so much funny as they are crazy expensive."

Sounds like his entire career.

I think they should can them both. Any network that would give Jimmy Fallon his own show deserves the situation they are in.

Leno is mildly funny. Conan reminds me of a giant 7th grader. Jimmy Fallon just needs to be hit with a large mallet.

MrBluGruv
01-21-2010, 01:33 PM
The part I don't understand is how they could afford to keep Jimmy Fallon and can Conan. I've seen Fallon's show, frankly not nearly as impressed as with Conan.

ctrlraven
01-21-2010, 01:45 PM
Conan reminds me of a giant 7th grader.
Got to remember he did write for the Simpsons for several years. lol

Got_1
01-21-2010, 01:54 PM
conan is the best! i like simple/stupid humor and he nails it!

a_d_a_m
01-21-2010, 02:34 PM
Conan rules and always has.

Leno sucks and always has.

Nothin'
But
Crap

Mr. Man
01-21-2010, 03:24 PM
Don't feel to bad for him he's walking away with 30 some million. I'm sure he'll survive

a_d_a_m
01-21-2010, 03:54 PM
I feel bad for him in the sense that he never got to work out the kinks and attract viewers to the show. I truly believe he would have caught on had he been afforded more time to tailor the show.

Hell, Leno tanked after taking over the Tonight Show, and it took him time to get things in order. Shame that NBC is so Leno-loving that they can't let Conan have some time of his own. But Coco will be fine. I hope he ends up on Fox. He appeals to a younger demographic; it'd be a good fit for him.

Meanwhile, I will treat the Tonight Show With Jay Leno as I did for the past 17 or so years. I just won't watch it. He may be a car guy, but I still don't find him funny, nor do I think he comes across like a nice guy.

Black Dynamite
01-21-2010, 04:25 PM
But Coco will be fine. I hope he ends up on Fox. He appeals to a younger demographic; it'd be a good fit for him.

He probably will end up on Fox and I will give his show a shot. I'm just afraid what Fox will do to his style of humour and the way he likes his show to flow. I guess I'm afraid they're going to try to make it "Conan, but with a Fox attitude," which frankly would be a mistake.

I didn't mind Leno, he had his moments, certainly no Carson but better than Letterman. I admire Leno for his passion about cars and I sure as hell want his collection!

P.S. A little bit of trivia: If Leno had wanted to outlast Carson, he would have needed to host the Tonight Show through the 2022 season!

J D
01-21-2010, 10:54 PM
Conan rules and always has.

Leno sucks and always has.

Nothin'
But
Crap

I beg to differ but Conan does deserve better, but lets all step back and appreciate that at least we have something to watch other than CBS.

Continuing
Blatant
Stereotypes

Pat
01-22-2010, 06:08 AM
I love Johnny Carson, his acts and characters are so funny, especially with straight Man Ed McMahon. Haven't watched him lately though, past my bed time.

duhtroll
01-22-2010, 07:09 AM
Shame that NBC is so Leno-loving ...

They screwed Leno over when they offered tTS to Conan years ago. I suppose now it is Conan's turn to get bent over.

Let's just give Jimmy Fallon 11:35-1:00 and be done with it. Then no one will watch.

FordNut
01-22-2010, 07:15 AM
I think NBC is doing the right thing. The experiment failed, ratings for both time slots tanked as well as the in-between timeslot for local news. They're trying to return to what they had before, at least for the late-night slot. They still don't have any idea how to draw an audience to the 10pm slot. Personally, I've never much cared for Conan and when they made the change I started watching Letterman. I'll probably stay with Letterman now, so NBC has a problem with the audience that switched and won't be coming back. Leno probably won't get anywhere near the ratings he had before. I sympathize with Conan in a way, but he's walking away with suitcases full of money.

Joe Walsh
01-22-2010, 07:24 AM
NBC really screwed the pooch.

When Conan took over, they should never have put a 'new' Jay Leno show on before the Tonight Show.

Jay's 'new' show was nothing more than a Tonight Show without a desk.

Why would you want to split the Tonight Show audience between two, now weaker shows??? :dunno:

I like both Leno and Conan, but I really gave up watching the Tonight Show once Johnny Carson stepped down.

CBT
01-22-2010, 07:26 AM
I say replace them both with Red Green.

ctrlraven
01-22-2010, 07:42 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDaD5qdJnqU
QDaD5qdJnqU

jonroe
01-22-2010, 07:44 AM
I say replace them both with Red Green.

YES! I really miss my dose of Red Green every Saturday night. Now, that was a funny show!

a_d_a_m
01-22-2010, 07:47 AM
Hahaha, awesome!

vkirkend
01-22-2010, 11:30 AM
Yep - Conan said it himself in the video.

"We're going to introduce new comedy bits that aren't so much funny as they are crazy expensive."

Sounds like his entire career.

I think they should can them both. Any network that would give Jimmy Fallon his own show deserves the situation they are in.

Leno is mildly funny. Conan reminds me of a giant 7th grader. Jimmy Fallon just needs to be hit with a large mallet.

:bows::):lol::rofl::laugh:

LOWBUCKMM
01-22-2010, 03:08 PM
those are great youtube videos of the crazy expensive bits. its great. show me more. please

guspech750
01-22-2010, 03:25 PM
I am ready for the return of Romper Room

http://www.crazedfanboy.com/npcr/images/andy_romperroom.jpg
http://pointlessbanter.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/romper.jpg

a_d_a_m
01-23-2010, 12:46 AM
I'll miss the hell out of Conan's late night antics and hope he comes back.

The last show was a great send-off.

-Tom Hanks was hilarious.
-Steve Carrell gave a funny exit interview.
-Neil Young gave a great performance of his classic "Long May You Run". (I really, really, love Neil's music...this was a particularly potent, moving rendition of the song)
-Will Ferrell (dressed as Ronnie Van Zant of Lynyrd Skynyrd) fronted the Max Weinberg 7 with special guests Billy Gibbons and Beck on guitar, as they blasted through "Free Bird" with Will re-living his classic 'cowbell' performance...and Conan tried his hand at lead guitar.

Even in his final monologue (http://www.tmz.com/2010/01/23/conan-obrien-final-monologue-tonight-show-video), Conan was a class act.

And now it's gone.
And to think...for once, NBC was showing me a Tonight Show I could relate to.
Now that it's gone, I'll go back to not watching it with Leno at the helm.

Don't really care to mention any of the NBC vs. Conan vs. Leno arguments, because it's a dead point now. Leno and NBC got what they wanted, Conan and his employees got a settlement and will probably/hopefully end up on another network. I'll be happy when that day comes.