PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Mercury Montego Fuel Pump - Need help please! (Yes I'm also a Marauder Owner)

biodole
01-25-2010, 06:18 PM
Hey guys - First off I want to say thank you all so much for all the help you've given me in the past with my 2004 Mercury Marauder. You guys are really top notch people! :beer:

Anyway, heres the deal...

I have a 2005 Mercury Montego Premier (2WD) with approx 80K miles. About a month ago, I started noticing intermittent fuel problems - in which the car would feel like it was losing performance when accelerating. This was accompanied by the Check Engine Light on the Dashboard. A quick trip to Jiffy Lube to use their computer showed that the error code was "Fuel Rail Senor." About a week ago, the car started acting up more and more until it began to stall out while driving. Transmission was not shifting properly, and engine power was significantly decreased. I barely got the car home, and ended up bringing it over to the local ford dealership. They ran computer and physical diagnostics on the car and found that there was an error code confirming fuel system problems - they then inspected the car physically and said that the Fuel Pump and Fuel Filter needed to be replaced.

From there, I purchased a new fuel filter from the local autoparts store, and began the installation. I found quite a bit of dirty disgusting black fuel come out of the end of the fuel filter. I installed the new fuel filter, and added about 1/4 of a bottle of Lucas Fuel Injector Cleaner. The car was filled with 89 octane at the time. I then took the car out to drive it under the new conditions, and it still was driving like a pig - stalled out several times. I then decided that there was a possibility that the fuel in my tank was bad - so I filled it up with 93 octane and added a bottle of fuel system cleaner + octane booster. I then took the car out again, and now the problem was even worse. The car barely runs at all without stalling.

So - next step was to replace the fuel pump. After tearing out the backseats to reveal BOTH access panels to the fuel tank I ran into the biggest problem yet which is why I had to make an account here and ask you gentlemen for advice and as much help as possible.

The fuel pump is barely accessible through the access panel, and it seems to have a transfer hose to the other side of the tank (the car has a split tank which is separated by the exhaust pipe and runs above it).

My questions (after all that text lol) is the following:

1. How do I remove the fuel pump through the access panel (WITHOUT DROPPING THE TANK)?

2. Is there a diagram or repair manual online or that any of you have that you can share with me for this installation?

3. Is there a transfer pump on the other side of the gas tank (rear driver side access panel) that needs to be removed first?

4. What are the steps to take in removing the fuel pump properly and without any problems?

I also am well versed with the TSB on this model car - checked the fuel reset switch on the passenger side floorboard and noticed the date code to be: 1L2T-9341-AC (the part is number PBT-GF15) - according to the TSB I believe this part was made in Nov 2001? If so it supposedly needs to be replaced as well.

Any insight to this problem is greatly appreciated. I am really at a stumbling block right now and I'm about to bang my head on the wall.

Thank you all very much, please give me as much information as you can!

-Bill

Vortex
01-26-2010, 03:20 PM
Might be better off checking a Taurus forum for this.