PDA

View Full Version : We're going to have a little buddy

Big Black Beast
01-29-2010, 09:03 PM
Apparently there's talk of a new Focus based addition to the Mercury family in the works.
I can't wait to see it.
Wonder what it's gonna be called.
Comet? Capri?
If current naming principles apply, it will start with an "M".
Monteray? Maraude...oops! Minimalon?
Anything but Cyclone. That would be sacreligious.
Anyway, glad to see Ford is still planning to support the brand.
I was never very fond of the '90's Cougar. It was just too odd looking to me. Especially the two foot wide trunk opening that looked ever weirder with the spoiler.
Why doesn't Ford just do a retro Mustang based Cougar? I think that has some potential.
I really like the old Mustang based Capris. I had one behind me on the way to work this morning.
Well, I'm just rambing now.
I guess we;ll have to wait and see...

Vortex
01-30-2010, 08:37 AM
After looking at the list of historical Mercury names, I think Comet is still the best fit and (to me) doesnt sound cheesy (Capri, Bobcat, Lynx).

DOOM
01-30-2010, 03:50 PM
Good news!
Would love to see a new cougar with the 5.0

boatmangc
01-30-2010, 05:44 PM
Anything but Cyclone. That would be sacrilegious

The most recent sacrilege is a 4 door Charger....WTF?

swordfish
01-30-2010, 05:53 PM
Good news!

Me also. I've wondered for years why they don't bring back the cougar?

a_d_a_m
01-30-2010, 05:57 PM
Apparently there's talk of a new Focus based addition to the Mercury family in the works.
I can't wait to see it.
Wonder what it's gonna be called.
If current naming principles apply, it will start with an "M".
Monteray? Maraude...oops! Minimalon? Mercury Monarch (http://imcdb.org/images/175/370.jpg)? :lol:

MrBluGruv
01-30-2010, 05:58 PM
Ever since I saw the '67 Cougar (keep in mind, I'm only a youngin...) and then saw the return of the vintage-styled Mustang in '05, I've wondered why Mercury didn't try to take a stab at the luxury muscle market by making a new cougar. Hell, they do the MKZ now with the eco-boost motor just like the SHO, so why not bring back the 5.0 Cougar as a more luxurious counterpart to the Mustang?

69428SCJ
01-30-2010, 11:46 PM
As a member also of mercurycougar.net, the whole cougar thing gets tossed around often. In a nutshell, here's the issue: We all know the cougar is the "upscale" or luxury mustang, and back then there was a market for it (consider how popular the mark, el dorado and riviera were at the time). All of the previously mentioned cars are gone. The personal luxury coupe is a thing of the past. A new completely optioned mustang is mid-30k. That means a new cougar completely option would more than likely be priced at high 30s to low 40s. I'll be honest, if they made an 03-04 Cougar GT-E or Eliminator with a 415hp terminator engine I probably would've bought it. Who in this "green" society is really going to pay for an "upscale" mustang? This is probably why we will never see another cougar...

Big Black Beast
01-30-2010, 11:48 PM
Anything but Cyclone. That would be sacrilegious

The most recent sacrilege is a 4 door Charger....WTF?

Yeah, but who cares what Chrysler does?

Big Black Beast
01-30-2010, 11:51 PM
Good news!

Well, it's Focus based, so I don't think they're gonna ramrod a 5.0 in a compact, although it would be awesome.

Big Black Beast
01-30-2010, 11:54 PM
As a member also of mercurycougar.net, the whole cougar thing gets tossed around often. In a nutshell, here's the issue: We all know the cougar is the "upscale" or luxury mustang, and back then there was a market for it (consider how popular the mark, el dorado and riviera were at the time). All of the previously mentioned cars are gone. The personal luxury coupe is a thing of the past. A new completely optioned mustang is mid-30k. That means a new cougar completely option would more than likely be priced at high 30s to low 40s. I'll be honest, if they made an 03-04 Cougar GT-E or Eliminator with a 415hp terminator engine I probably would've bought it. Who in this "green" society is really going to pay for an "upscale" mustang? This is probably why we will never see another cougar...

Yup. It's not cost effective to offer something people won't buy in volume, no matter how awesome it is. That's why Crysler has some pretty badass cars, but just went bankrupt.

Mr. Man
01-31-2010, 12:17 AM
Call it the Munchkin and Doomie will buy one :D

DOOM
01-31-2010, 02:51 AM
Me also. I've wondered for years why they don't bring back the cougar?

Mercury had plans to bring a mustang based cougar back into production.
But we got the marauder instead. TRUE STORY

Vortex
01-31-2010, 08:46 AM
I dont want to see any more Ford clones in the Mercury division. If Ford goes thru with consolidating domestic and overseas products generally (good idea in my mind), maybe we can get the something a little spicier than a run of the mill Ford. I suggest Ford import(or better yet, build here) the Aussie Falcon as both an Interceptor/taxi replacement with a new Mercury Park Lane (luxury) and Cyclone (performance) variant.