PDA

View Full Version : Worm Win32netsky

FreddieH
01-30-2010, 06:05 PM
About 24 hrs. ago I somehow got a Worm in my laptop. It is set up to try to force you to use a credit card to buy a utility to remove it, but it is a scam and will only get your card info. It is very tricky on how it works. It will not allow you to remove it even by Restore. It seems to have about three different ways of attacking your system, once you have your virus scan to remove it another varient will take over. I finally found a trick to get into the Restore to Restore my system. Once the virus scan Quarantined it, I had to Immediately click on its icon (red ball with a white X) in the startup next to the clock and once it dissapears go to Restore and it will work. You have to do it before the next Worm loads. My MacAfee was up to date and did not catch it. Over the 24 hr. period MacAfee, PC Tools Doctor, Ad-Aware all have tryed to remove it several times and all have been able to Quarantine a variant while another took over. there are alot of tools to remove it but after a scan it makes you pay to remove it.

MrBluGruv
01-30-2010, 06:12 PM
I work as a helpdesk tech for the college I attend, and let me tell you the NetSky virus is single-handedly THE most difficult virus we've dealt with in the past three years I've been working here. What makes them difficult, at least with the instances we've fought, is they like to disable task manager, RegEdit, and MSConfig, while also instantly crashing any executable you try to run, essentially crippling your system. My boss found a kind of vague utility that I've used about twice so far with full success, but I haven't had time to read up on it, you may want to check it out, it's called RKill.

FreddieH
01-30-2010, 06:16 PM
Thank will check it out.

Pat
01-31-2010, 03:41 AM
My computer became infected when I clicked on an ad for a free virus check utility that restores computer performance. A sucker born every day. Anyway, this stuff is really hitting the PC's now, MSNBC had an article on it a few days ago, it's called ransomware or rogueware.

Very aggressive, won't let you do certain things unless you buy more of their bogus product. It's a hostage situation.

Took my PC to the vet and he fixed it for $97.00. I, and others, made his profit margin.

Can you see the possibility for scamming. A virus maker infects the PC, the repair man fixes it, kicks back to the virus dude, and the cycle repeats itself. Now do this on a regional or national scale. Nah, that couldn't happen, right?