PDA

View Full Version : Panther v. Mustang sales

Vortex
02-10-2010, 08:33 AM
Interesting (to me anyway) that Ford sold more Panther chassis than Mustangs in 2009:

http://media.ford.com/images/10031/December09sales.pdf

Even more interesting when you consider they spent about $3.54 in 2009 (according to the Interociter) on advertising for the Crown Vic(Fleet)/Town Car/Grand Marquis).

ImpalaSlayer
02-10-2010, 10:27 AM
Interesting (to me anyway) that Ford sold more Panther chassis than Mustangs in 2009:

http://media.ford.com/images/10031/December09sales.pdf

Even more interesting when you consider they spent about $3.54 in 2009 (according to the Interociter) on advertising for the Crown Vic(Fleet)/Town Car/Grand Marquis).

yup lets get rid of it :rolleyes:

-Matt-
02-10-2010, 10:36 AM
yup lets get rid of it :rolleyes:

Thats the most intresting part :rolleyes:

Motorhead350
02-10-2010, 10:56 AM

Does it know if I have pants on? Also that's about $3.54 off.

Let's think about this though. The Panther is three different cars and at one time was four... maybe more in the past. The Mustang is one car, not like an F-Body GM car that has two different badges. Every year companies will need new taxis, limos and police will need police cars. What is the market for the Mustang? It's usually a car meant for transportation/pleasure, the Panther is mostly sold as a company car.

Almost everything that is more of a want that a need has seen sales decline recently. I wouldn't be surprised if sales for Corvettes and Challengers went down too. If prices for televisions were the same they were three or four years ago, I bet sales would be down for them too.

Finally, word probably got around that these cars will soon be outta production, so everyone is stocking up. The article won't work for me so does it say what sales were in 2007 to 2009? Before it was announced they would be outta production?

Cool info, but when you think about it the sales shouldn't surprise any of us.

MERCMAN
02-10-2010, 12:25 PM
^^^^^^^^^^
What a well thought out post! I am in shock. Kudos to you Dom

:nworthy::nworthy:

justbob
02-10-2010, 12:28 PM
How about they make a Mercury Trotter then? or Stalion?:D Plus most are holding out on the 2011's would also have impact..

Big Black Beast
02-10-2010, 01:32 PM
Ugh. The Transit Connect is gonna start replacing Taxis in NY.
The thing's like 12 feet tall w/ dark rear tinted windows.
So much for ever being able to ever see anything ever again, ever.
I like it as a delivery van, not so much as a taxi.

babbage
02-10-2010, 08:24 PM
At first i thought it was the Duramax Diesel Grand National!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9x2t6BK3E_0

Talk about offensive, loud, black, fast, stinks of black death... How about that puppy in traffic!

ImpalaSlayer
02-10-2010, 08:26 PM
At first i thought it was the Duramax Diesel Grand National!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9x2t6BK3E_0

Talk about offensive, loud, black, fast, stinks of black death... How about that puppy in traffic!

babs i think you posted this int he wrong thread lol

babbage
02-11-2010, 06:19 AM
babs i think you posted this int he wrong thread lol

lol epic fail. :D

FordNut
02-11-2010, 06:47 AM
I don't get it. Shut down a plant that is paid for and manufactures a product that sells without any advertising...

Oh, it must be that economics thing about depreciation. Since it's paid for it doesn't provide the tax writeoffs. I never understood how tax writeoffs could be better than free money.

Vortex
02-11-2010, 08:45 AM
Yeah, thats my point, I dont see the logic of shutting down a plant that makes a reasonably sucessful product. The only thing I can figure is Ford just wants to get rid of the employees at St Thomas, period. I believe if Ford would simply update the engine in the CVPI (and all other Panthers) they would continue to sell. Ford is fixing to have some real competition for the police market with the new long wheelbase Chevy Caprice. That is a hell of a car and you can bet Chevy will be selling civilian versions soon thereafter, regardless of what they are saying now. I sure hope Ford has a good followon product for the Panther and I really hope its not a rehashed 500/Montego like the "new" Taurus is now.

Motorhead350
02-11-2010, 12:17 PM
Talk about a major return on investment. I'm sure there is more to the story than we can figure out.

tbone
02-11-2010, 12:38 PM
The new Caprice is hideous. Almost as bad as the Impala SS.

Motorhead350
02-11-2010, 12:49 PM
All other modern American sedans are like that. :shake:

Big Black Beast
02-11-2010, 02:18 PM
They should put the Ecoboost V6 in it.
Crap, then it'd be faster than my car.:(

Paul T. Casey
02-11-2010, 02:37 PM
I don't get it. Shut down a plant that is paid for and manufactures a product that sells without any advertising...

Oh, it must be that economics thing about depreciation. Since it's paid for it doesn't provide the tax writeoffs. I never understood how tax writeoffs could be better than free money.

Lots to do with politics, CAFE, and that sort of stuff. Gov't, which was a huge purchaser of the car, is beholden to GM and Chrysler for the fleet nowadays (since they have a vested interest in these two succeeding) so no more CV police cars, or TC for exec's either.

FordNut
02-11-2010, 02:49 PM
Lots to do with politics, CAFE, and that sort of stuff. Gov't, which was a huge purchaser of the car, is beholden to GM and Chrysler for the fleet nowadays (since they have a vested interest in these two succeeding) so no more CV police cars, or TC for exec's either.

So we can blame it on Obama...

Paul T. Casey
02-11-2010, 03:12 PM
So we can blame it on Obama...

Why not, just got done with 9+ years of blaming Bush for all our ills.

Paul T. Casey
02-11-2010, 03:18 PM
The list of blame is long, goes all the way back to Nixon, who started the whole CAFE fiasco. Iacocca who made FWD cars for the masses (may be able to link this to Cadillac with those 6000 lb El-Durados). The Big Three for not standing up to the UAW when things were good. Algore for inventing this whole interweb foolishness. Bill Clinton, just for being Arkansas Trailer Trash, and giving Algore a public platform. LBJ for felling sorry that he had Kennedy offed, so he signed onto all his ideas. JFK for giving us welfare. Ike for not picking a better Veep to prevent us for JFK. Before that, I wasn't here, so who cares to blame anyone else.

Motorhead350
02-11-2010, 11:36 PM
Never give into modern crap, just keep maintaining our own stuff.

Canadasvt
02-12-2010, 07:14 AM
Unfortunately a plant can not survive on a one shift operation, in Ford's opinion. It is losing too much money compared to a two 10 hour or a three 8 hour shift plant.
This is why Ontario Truck Plant in Oakville was shut down. One of the best quality plants in Ford truck and also producer of the Lightning and for years and years the sole producer of the six-man cab.