PDA

View Full Version : WTF is GM thinking.

guspech750
02-14-2010, 10:14 PM
So I was on a GTO forum since I have a 2005 GTO and came across this. Leave it for GM to F*** up a car more thats already F***ed up!! At least F'ed up looking anyways.

http://www.autoguide.com/gallery/d/53757-3/2010-chevrolet-camaro-6096.JPG

Chevy's next generation Camaro is going to shrink in size from its current behemoth underpinnings and share a new global Alpha platform with the third-generation Cadillac CTShttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/2_bing.gif (http://www.gtoforum.com/f4/report-next-camaro-shrink-size-join-cadillac-cts-ats-new-platform-25297/#) and the all-new ATS. With the next Camaro due out in 2015, the CTS is destined to bow in 2013 as a 2014 model, while the 3-Series fighting ATS is scheduled to arrive just afterwards.

The news comes from a report by Motor Trend after a presentation by consultancy firm Grant Thornton LLP at the Automotive Press Association on Thursday.

Other details revealed include plans to discontinue the CTS Coupe and SportWagon, likely because both a coupe, convertible and wagon (http://www.gtoforum.com/f4/report-next-camaro-shrink-size-join-cadillac-cts-ats-new-platform-25297/#) version of the ATS are in the works. The CTS will then grow slightly (by roughly 6-inches) to be more in line with the 5 Series and E-Class.

To make this plan cost effective its likely that the new Alpha platform will use different amounts of aluminum and steel depending on whether it is being used for a Cadillac or a Chevy, with the Caddy getting a higher percentage of lighter, but more expensive, aluminum.

In addition to this new MT also suggests, the 2015 Camarohttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/2_bing.gif (http://www.gtoforum.com/f4/report-next-camaro-shrink-size-join-cadillac-cts-ats-new-platform-25297/#) SS is likely to get a supercharged or turbocharged V6, rather than a V8.

RR|Suki
02-14-2010, 10:17 PM
I don't get it? what's the problem? They are putting it on a smaller chassis... I don't quite understand why that's a bad thing. It doesn't mean that it'll look like a cts

SpartaPerformance
02-14-2010, 10:33 PM
Might not be a bad thing, the current Camaro weighs almost 4,00lbs all the car magazines say they like driving the V-6 more because it's a more balanced car the V-8 is too nose heavy.

justbob
02-14-2010, 11:08 PM
I think he's referring to the bold at the bottom.

DOOM
02-15-2010, 12:37 AM
Taking the V-8 out of the camaro.

FordNut
02-15-2010, 06:16 AM
It's government motors now, they don't have to think any more.

LIGHTNIN1
02-15-2010, 08:21 AM
It's government motors now, they don't have to think any more.

The people running it now are not car people.Before they are done with it probably will look more like a YUGO.

Master
02-15-2010, 08:32 AM
Sorry, but with Ford making family cars with "Twin Turbo" in the description as well as "360hp", I have a hard time finding a lot of fault with sixes. Good economy, power that you can turn up till the crank breaks, and lower insurance. The only downside is the added complexity. However, when you consider most tuners are boosting these days, its hardly much of a stumbling block anymore.

MrBluGruv
02-15-2010, 08:39 AM
Given some of the numbers one can see out of a new model Mustang with a V8 (or even the 6-speed LS1 setups in the F-bodies of a few years ago), the economy aspect doesn't really apply. My ex's dad could get better highway mpg out of his 2002 Camaro SS than I could out of my 2002 Galant ES V6.

That's not to say I'm bashing V6's though, personally I really want a Japanese 80's 6-cyl turbo as a project car, but as the saying goes "there's a time and a place for everything", and a muscle car is not the place for a V6. Chevy has Malibus for that. :)

justbob
02-15-2010, 08:44 AM
I would pay extra for a slower V8 over a boosted V6 any day.

CBT
02-15-2010, 08:57 AM
V-6's ain't muscle cars? Well this ain't no ham on rye.

MrBluGruv
02-15-2010, 09:05 AM
touche salesman. ;)

in all fairness though, that heralded from the sad age of V8s.

LeoVampire
02-15-2010, 12:06 PM
The changes company's are going to have to make on cars is due to the Mandatory Government Fuel economy changes that have to come about by a certain year.

They have a certain amount of time to come up with a certain gas milage average the Government has ordered on cars or the cars they sell with have a gas guzler tax spalped onto the cars before anyone can buy them.

So if they do not have the ability to do it technicly with their engines and drive tranes then they have to lighten the car and put smaller engines in them. It is cheaper to stick with what they have than to make new and better like Ford is doing.

Ford is ahead of the game right now as far as the U.S. cars go but GM with recovering from the restructuring and Bankruptcy and loss of sales dosn't have the capital to invest in new work and research.

The foreign cars already are set up for the new guidlines the U.S. government is mandating everyone else is playing catch up still. Hard to get people to buy a car with extra money tacked onto the sticker price.

johnnyrauder
02-15-2010, 01:20 PM
they should jut call it somthing else because when a buyer hears camaro they think v8. lets face it it dosen't matter how much performance you get from a v6 you just don't want it in a muscle car....

MENINBLK
02-15-2010, 02:23 PM
In addition to this new MT also suggests, the 2015 Camarohttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/2_bing.gif (http://www.gtoforum.com/f4/report-next-camaro-shrink-size-join-cadillac-cts-ats-new-platform-25297/#) SS is likely to get a supercharged or turbocharged V6, rather than a V8.

What's wrong with that ?
SC V6s are getting close to 400HP today... :burn:

Big Black Beast
02-15-2010, 02:26 PM
Bleh... who cares about that GM stuff anyway?:rolleyes:

MrBluGruv
02-15-2010, 02:43 PM
What's wrong with that ?
SC V6s are getting close to 400HP today... :burn:

For a lot of people the V8 is more than just power, it's an experience. What you're saying is the same as saying "why buy a Lamborghini, I can get that much power from a Corvette for half the price-tops", and it really comes down to the experience of driving a 10 or 12 cylinder. As someone mentioned earlier, sometimes it's more fun to have a slow V8 than a nimble V6.

LIGHTNIN1
02-15-2010, 02:51 PM
For a lot of people the V8 is more than just power, it's an experience. What you're saying is the same as saying "why buy a Lamborghini, I can get that much power from a Corvette for half the price-tops", and it really comes down to the experience of driving a 10 or 12 cylinder. As someone mentioned earlier, sometimes it's more fun to have a slow V8 than a nimble V6.

Exactly. They might as well make the car on the Cobalt platform, stick the Ecotec engine in it and be done. Another form of the Hummer, in the way it sounds anyway.

guspech750
02-15-2010, 06:16 PM
It has to be a V-8. Any pony car has to have a V-8!! Period. Sure boosted V-6's make awesome power but so does a boosted Civic.:puke:

And I am not going to buy a boosted Civic anytime soon let alone a boosted V-6 Camaro, Mustang or Challenger. :puke:

:bows:V-8's Rule!!:bows:

Bigdogjim
02-15-2010, 07:46 PM
Ford is putting a V-6 @ 300 HP in the base mustang.

New 302 is set to return in the Mustang 5.0 later this year @ 412 HP :burnout:

RR|Suki
02-15-2010, 08:20 PM
What people seem to be missing is that the v6 models are the big number sellers.

MrBluGruv
02-15-2010, 09:01 PM
That's not really the point of the argument, no doubt people think less cylinders = more fuel economy, but the point stands that the namesake of the Camaro is performance by means of V8.

RR|Suki
02-15-2010, 09:07 PM
That's not really the point of the argument, no doubt people think less cylinders = more fuel economy, but the point stands that the namesake of the Camaro is performance by means of V8.

All I saw was people ranting about muscle cars only having v8 motors, when the majority of the cars sold are not v8s. Not only that but the rants are based on what some 3rd party writer assumes might happen in the future. . .

dohc324ci
02-15-2010, 09:24 PM
Get used to it guys...smaller more fuel efficient cars to meet the CAFE standards set by our Fed Govt.

Gone are the full body on frame V8 rear drive cars. We will see smaller displacement turbo V4, V6s in lighter chassis to make V8 like power. It is what it is.

tbone
02-15-2010, 09:59 PM
Remember how disappointed you were when you found out Chrysler put a V6 in the Plymouth Prowler!? It HAS to be a V8 or more! Period!

tbone
02-15-2010, 10:02 PM
My wife's V6 Ford Explorer only gets 12-13 MPG around town, coupled with mediocre power and only 2WD! She could have had an Expedition with a V8 and 4WD and get the same %$#@&% mileage!
My 2009 E-150 cargo van with a 5.4L gets 12 mpg!
V6's aren't always the solution!

DOOM
02-15-2010, 10:36 PM
Sorry, but with Ford making family cars with "Twin Turbo" in the description as well as "360hp",

Key words family cars.
We are talking about camaro's here not malibu's or taurus'
The camaro isn't a family car its a muscle car.

Bigdogjim
02-16-2010, 06:46 AM
Key words family cars.
We are talking about camaro's here not malibu's or taurus'
The camaro isn't a family car its a muscle car.

Camaro is a "pony" car. Need 4 doors (RWD)to be a muscle car

CBT
02-16-2010, 06:53 AM
Remember how disappointed you were when you found out Chrysler put a V6 in the Plymouth Prowler!? It HAS to be a V8 or more! Period!

Nope, lol!

LeoVampire
02-16-2010, 08:15 AM
Lets face it the biggest killer of gas milage and speed is weight.

Make the car lighter and stronger, which is easily done with todays tech abilities.

Leave the v8's for what is seen as a muscle car and people will still buy it just like we did our cars and others before us.

But they can easily change to better fuel efficiant v6's for every thing else and people will be happy all the way around.

Hey the new GT500 mustang and GT350 that are comming up managed to get enough gas milage to avoid the gas guzzler tax on them for the up comming year. If Ford can pull it off others can as well.

But lets face it most people wanting these cars are not worried about fuel efficiancy and want them for the statement so they are willing to pay the extra cost to have them in thier stable.

For each class of car they need to talk to the people that are most likely to buy them. For example when the Marauder was made they talked to old dudes use to Grand Marquies to determin if they need to quiet them down or not. Not a smart move. They would not go to those same people to see if the Mustang needs to be quieter right?

Talking to the right people can help them to make the right choices.

They just want to boost sales right now and get back in the Black so they are searching for what ever they can to make it happen.

Stranger in the Black Sedan
02-16-2010, 02:08 PM
Who cares? It's not the 1960's anymore. As long as it goes fast I don't care how many cylinders it has.

FastMerc
02-16-2010, 04:31 PM
What people seem to be missing is that the v6 models are the big number sellers.
Follow the F#$@% HERD like cattle thats why. No individuality like us that proudly own MARAUDERS...

FastMerc
02-16-2010, 04:32 PM
Who cares? It's not the 1960's anymore. As long as it goes fast I don't care how many cylinders it has.
Sorry nothing sounds like a fire breathing V 8 :D

FastMerc
02-16-2010, 04:35 PM
Camaro is a "pony" car. Need 4 doors (RWD)to be a muscle car
Actually Big V 8 2 doors muscular looks = MUSCLE car!!!

Big Black Beast
02-17-2010, 02:45 PM

I was delighted.:)
I hate that thing.:P