PDA

View Full Version : P-51 Mustang

dakslim
02-20-2010, 08:49 AM
If you have a few minutes you might want to take the time to watch this film. I was very moved by it and perhaps you will be too.

http://www.asb.tv/videos/view.php?v=1bf99434&br=500

LIGHTNIN1
02-20-2010, 09:35 AM
Great story. Its good sometime to slow down and say thanks to the heroes.

SC Cheesehead
02-20-2010, 10:16 AM
Oh wow, Phil. What a great way to honor one the the Greatest Generation. Thanks for posting.

tbone
02-20-2010, 12:43 PM
I sent this off to my dad. He was an airplane mechanic (bombers) in WWII. They were as attached to these planes as the pilots were, if not more so.

SC Cheesehead
02-20-2010, 02:10 PM
I sent this off to my dad. He was an airplane mechanic (bombers) in WWII. They were as attached to these planes as the pilots were, if not more so.

Hey, and next time you see your dad, please give him a big THANK YOU for his service. We all owe his generation a huge debt of gratitude.

guspech750
02-20-2010, 05:07 PM
Wow!! Great video. A wonderful tribute to the men and women who were all involved from the designers of these great machines all the way to the machanics and pilots. A testament to a wonderful and great generation of people who will be gone too soon and no one generation will ever come close to them. I want to say thank you to them and God bless them.

Did any one see the early model P-51 in the video. It was not paited and left natural metal. Awesome!!
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2151/2179075547_a980381a70.jpg

SC Cheesehead
02-20-2010, 05:09 PM
Wow!! Great video. A wonderful tribute to the men and women who were all involved from the designers of these great machines all the way to the machanics and pilots. A testament to a wonderful and great generation of people who will be gone too soon and no one generation will ever come close to them. I want to say thank you to them and God bless them.

Did any one see the early model P-51 in the video. It was not paited and left natural metal. Awesome!!
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2151/2179075547_a980381a70.jpg

There was one? I missed it!

guspech750
02-20-2010, 07:24 PM
There was one? I missed it!
Yes. At around the 8:25 mark.

ImpalaSlayer
02-20-2010, 07:37 PM
looks like a c model

i watched some of it then it messed up on me.

SC Cheesehead
02-20-2010, 08:44 PM
looks like a c model

i watched some of it then it messed up on me.

The bubble canopy didn't show up until the D models, correct?

ImpalaSlayer
02-20-2010, 08:48 PM
The bubble canopy didn't show up until the D models, correct?

that is correct

tbone
02-20-2010, 10:46 PM
After I sent this to my parents, my mother thanked me, told me they had to get the kleenex box out and that my father was "touched" by it. He is truly a big, tough guy so that is something.......He is 86 and the last of the "Greatest Generation". He does not have far to go in his life. We should all take the time to remember our parents and grandparents, whether they served or not. They left us a truly great, free and open democracy. Now, more than ever, we need to find a way to preserve our heritage and save this country from destruction.......

jabird56
02-21-2010, 06:03 AM
This brought tears of respect to both the plane and the vets who flew them. We do need to remember them.

On a parallel note, some of you recall that my dad passed away last month. For those that are interested, he wrote down his recollections of WWII and other things. They are posted here: http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.co m/JamesBird.htm

Jay
Retired Navy LDO

dakslim
02-21-2010, 08:55 AM
After I sent this to my parents, my mother thanked me, told me they had to get the kleenex box out and that my father was "touched" by it. He is truly a big, tough guy so that is something.......He is 86 and the last of the "Greatest Generation". He does not have far to go in his life. We should all take the time to remember our parents and grandparents, whether they served or not. They left us a truly great, free and open democracy. Now, more than ever, we need to find a way to preserve our heritage and save this country from destruction.......

I needed a Kleenex too. Tell him thank you from one veteran to another. What I went through pales in comparison to what his generation had to go through.:flag:

Phil

CBT
02-21-2010, 07:08 PM
I'm not going to say it made me tear up, but when his grandson pulled up beside him in another Mustang, my allergies may have acted up a little bit. :o

SC Cheesehead
02-21-2010, 08:18 PM
I'm not going to say it made me tear up, but when his grandson pulled up beside him in another Mustang, my allergies may have acted up a little bit. :o

Me too, nose got a little "athletic" about then.