PDA

View Full Version : Weeeeeeeee wireless!

Logan
11-09-2003, 11:56 AM
Moving stuff around the house this weekend to clear out a room for all the twins "stuff" and generally make a play area for them, as a result, I moved my computer into our bedroom, but rather than go to the trouble of running a network drop into the bedroom, I just went and picked up a Linksys Wireless Broadband router and a Wireless USB ethernet adapter.

Talk about cool stuff! My Cable modem and wireless router now lives in the closet with the media jacks, and all I have is a little creditcard sized box with antenna sitting on my desk.

No trouble, just plugged it in and away it went, very cool stuff.

TAF
11-09-2003, 12:11 PM
I've got the Linksys system as well...'cept I went with the Powerline adaptor. Don't ask me how it works (some here will be able to explain) but...it sends the Broadband back into and through the electrical wiring in the house (my house was built in 1956 and has all the original wiring) and I can take my laptop anywhere in the house...plug into any wall outlet and get high-speed access. Like I said...don't ask me how it works, but it does. And...it's safer than the RF from any hacking into the system.

TripleTransAm
11-09-2003, 12:20 PM
I believe the Powerline stuff just puts the signal "on top of" the household voltage. Household AC alternates at 60 Hz, so you can easily put some other signal at a higher frequency and the adaptor will extract it. It's all much like electromagnetism in the air... you've got all sorts of frequencies overlapping each other, but your radio tuner can easily extract the base signal you're looking for.

This extra stuff on the household AC line is just seen by appliances as a little extra ripple... won't affect a thing.

This is how I understand it works...

Logan
11-09-2003, 12:59 PM
I've got my signal wep encrypted with a 128bit key, so Im fairly secure...

martyo
11-09-2003, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by TAF
I've got the Linksys system as well...'cept I went with the Powerline adapter. Don't ask me how it works

Only a newbie around here would ever ask you how something works.

Originally posted by TAF I can take my laptop anywhere in the house...plug into any wall outlet and get high-speed access.

That kind of defeats the purpose of the mobility of a lap top, now doesn't it?

Originally posted by TAF And...it's safer than the RF from any hacking into the system.

Actually this is not true at all! In fact the signals transmitted across your power lines have been known to bleed into neighboring houses. Just ask users of the "X10" wireless devices that have become so popular.

TAF
11-09-2003, 01:08 PM
All I know is...recently they did a news story (one of the local ATL stations) where they drove around in a van, with simple items purchased from Radio Shack and a large tin-can. They drove by the HQs of Home Depot, Delta, UPS, etc. and from the parking lot were able to hack into the systems. The program said this was not as easy to do with a "hard-wired' system...the only point I'm trying to make.

And yes...I am very mobile with the laptop Marty...I usually reserve time on the "crapper" to respond to your posts....
(now THERE'S a picture you could have done without, eh?)

Petrograde
11-09-2003, 01:10 PM
It's all witchcraft & voodoo to me! I know just enough about computers to be very dangerous to them!

Bigdogjim
11-09-2003, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by TAF
And yes...I am very mobile with the laptop Marty...I usually reserve time on the "crapper" to respond to your posts....
(now THERE'S a picture you could have done without, eh?) [/B]

TAF Let me help paint a picture........

http://smilies.sofrayt.com/1/i0/kloguck.gif

http://smilies.sofrayt.com/1/i0/wc.gif

Mad4Macs
11-09-2003, 03:24 PM
Welcome to the Wireless World! Apple went wireless 4 years ago, and I have NEVER looked back...

RCSignals
11-09-2003, 03:53 PM
so the neighbour kids can go to TAFs house, plug in at his outdoor outlet, and have high speed internet? Cool

TAF
11-09-2003, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by RCSignals
so the neighbour kids can go to TAFs house, plug in at his outdoor outlet, and have high speed internet? Cool

Yes...if my outdoor outlets weren't locked boxes...and...they had a Linksys Ethernet Powerline Bridge box w/CAT-5 cable.

Logan
11-09-2003, 04:08 PM
hhehehe

MapleLeafMerc
11-09-2003, 04:47 PM
I never, ever dreamed I'd need my own wireless house network! Used to be that you could buy your kids a new set of pencil crayons each year, maybe a "math set", and they were happy. Now they all demand instant-on internet!!

nhinterceptor
11-09-2003, 05:02 PM
I too have been using the Linksys for just under two years, the wireless router is connected to a dsl line. I picked up a APC battery backup 500va model so it's always on. I have Netgear NICs in the desktop and notebook.

I have the WEP 128-bit activated too, there's a very slight performance hit but the added security is worth it.

Cisco acquired LinkSys, the LinkSys name will be home & SOHO and Cisco will be commercial-enterprise.

-Dan

RCSignals
11-09-2003, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by TAF
Yes...if my outdoor outlets weren't locked boxes...and...they had a Linksys Ethernet Powerline Bridge box w/CAT-5 cable.

and you really think they don't, have the right eqipment, can't get past your locks?

:lol: ;)

martyo
11-09-2003, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by TAF

Boy Mr. Fisher, that must be one tough neoghborhood that you live in....

ik04
11-09-2003, 11:10 PM
Howdy,

I've had a wired and wireless home for over three years now and it is indeed very cool.

After pulling cat5 cable through the roof and walls to wire my kids' rooms and my office, I was greatful for the wireless access port when I added more computers to my house.

My cable connection runs from the cablemodem into a Linux router I made from an old 486 computer, then into a switch which links the four wired computers to the wireless access port. From there my home LAN connects two more desktop PCs and my Zaurus PDA. Connection speed is blazing fast and it was all very inexpensive. Mostly I like not having to pull wires in a 140 degree attic crawlspace.

I can expand the metwork with no further wiring. I'm loving that!

I finished the install of a Laptop/printer/scanner with mobile internet connection in a Mercedes last weekend. Very cool having a completely mobile office in a car. Hmmmm, maybe a Marauder with a mobile web server pushing Marauder propaganda?????????????? Could be fun...

Kevin

dwasson
11-10-2003, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by Logan
I've got my signal wep encrypted with a 128bit key, so Im fairly secure...

One other thing y'all need to do is set up MAC filtering. This sets your router to reject any input from any other computers except those you set up and approve. Every network interface card (NIC) has a unique address number. This is the MAC. With MAC filtering set up properly you can have other computers in your house and they can't get on your network until you allow it.

TripleTransAm
11-10-2003, 08:34 AM
Can someone spoof a MAC address?

dwasson
11-10-2003, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by TripleTransAm

Yeah but they would have to know what it was. You aren't likely to guess the number. I have a NIC card that lets you set the MAC but that isn't very common.

Here's the recommendations from Linksys on wireless security:

The current generation of Linksys products provide several network security features, but they require specific action on your part for implementation.

While the following is a complete list, the first five steps should, at least, be followed:

Change the default SSID.
Disable SSID Broadcasts.
Change the default password for the Administrator account.
Enable MAC Address Filtering.
Change the SSID periodically.
Enable WEP 128-bit Encryption. Please note that this will reduce your network performance.
Change the WEP encryption keys periodically.

Wireless Notes (http://linksys.com/splash/wirelessnotes.asp)

Dr Caleb
11-10-2003, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by TripleTransAm

Yes, QED.

MAC's are broadcast and can be sniffed out of the air.

IP Tunneling is more favoured than WEP, as there are hacks for WEP.

And do enable MAC filtering!!

martyo
11-10-2003, 11:40 AM
Boy, I am sure sorry Todd started all of this!

Bigdogjim
11-10-2003, 01:14 PM
Marty: I think Mrs. Fisher is the one who locks the outside box so TAF can't sneak out a use it. Parental control? :lol:

gja
11-10-2003, 02:10 PM
I love your wireless networks......all of them.
Seriously, I hung my black hat up years ago.
No more cracking/phreaking for me.

SouLRioT
11-10-2003, 06:00 PM
None of you asked this yet, but Logan is it a A, B, or G? 802.11 that is, not 300. And I'm loving my wireless LAN, I type from my bellytop.

CRUZTAKER
11-10-2003, 06:47 PM
Hey guys...as long as the knowledgeble bunch are in the house, maybe one of you can tell me how this wireless network connection lan thing works on my new compaq presario x1000?

How do I know who and where this service exists? The way the kid at best buy explained it, it sounded as some hotels or restaurants whatever may provide it in their lobbys or whatever....

I know I can call verizon and get jessica's cell service hooked in somehow...but whats this wireless network option? The manual explains nothing!

Bigdogjim
11-10-2003, 07:18 PM
I have a wireless connection at work to the main server upfront.
It works well.
Computer guy said it was too far to run a land line. 600 feet?

All I know is works:)

Only draw back is if a truck park's in a line of sight to the relay, its blocks the signal................

jgc61sr2002
11-10-2003, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by martyo
Boy Mr. Fisher, that must be one tough neoghborhood that you live in.... I was wondering the same.

SouLRioT
11-11-2003, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by CRUZTAKER
Hey guys...as long as the knowledgeble bunch are in the house, maybe one of you can tell me how this wireless network connection lan thing works on my new compaq presario x1000?

How do I know who and where this service exists? The way the kid at best buy explained it, it sounded as some hotels or restaurants whatever may provide it in their lobbys or whatever....

Well, I tried looking up your computer, but I didnt see that it had intergrated wireless. You can tell it does or doesnt by the intel sticker. If it says centrino then you have the wireless inside.

Now as far as using it, some places have wireless hot spots. Starbucks and Barns&Nobel are places that come to mind. They can tell you how to connect to it when you visit them. Another thing you could use to find wireless signals is with a program called netstumbler. All in all, wireless networking is not a hard thing to use or setup.