PDA

View Full Version : Question for you auto technicians...

SVT_MERC
02-24-2010, 08:16 PM
I am nearing enough $$$ to purchase a scan tool. I am looking for some recommendations, I have used the Matco determinator at school and thought it was pretty good, I was also told the ethos from snap on was a worth while choice, but never got the opportunity to try one. Any oppinions on these or suggestions of others would be appreciated. Thanks.

ImpalaSlayer
02-24-2010, 08:17 PM
I am nearing enough $$$ to purchase a scan tool. I am looking for some recommendations, I have used the Matco determinator at school and thought it was pretty good, I was also told the ethos from snap on was a worth while choice, but never got the opportunity to try one. Any oppinions on these or suggestions of others would be appreciated. Thanks.

my buddy has the ethos. havent gotten to play with it much my self but it seems like a lot of money.

Got_1
02-25-2010, 07:21 AM
what are you looking for out of a scan tool? there are many routes to choose.

i've got a handheld from MAC. only 70 dollars. scans and erase codes w/definitions. some simple data logging.

I work at a ford dealer so i don't need a scan tool that does it all because i can use the shop IDS.

justbob
02-25-2010, 07:29 AM
Here's mine. Works great.http://www.amazon.com/Equus-3110-Diagnostic-Scanner-Vehicles/dp/B0007VXZ7W

Marauderjack
02-25-2010, 07:58 AM
Get a ScanGauge II and call it a day!!:beer::bows:

http://www.scangauge.com/

LeoVampire
02-25-2010, 09:53 AM
MATCO QUICK SCAN PRO

Part#: MD9001N Price: $749.95

It does OBD I and OBD II

Fully expandable and upgradeable and handles foreign as well as domestic cars.

Quick Scan Pro has a full color screen and an ergonomically designed housing. This full function OBD I and OBD II scan tool provides enhanced powertrain coverage for GM, Ford, Chrysler, and Toyota.
With traditional features like: USER KeyFunction, specific help,Flash Programmable Memory.
Internet updateable, I/M Readiness, Read Codes, Pending Codes, Erase Codes, View DataRecord and Playback of data Freeze Frame, O2 Monitor test.
Diagnostic Monitor Test, On Board Systems Vehicle Information, State OBD Check ,Code Lookup Review Data Battery power and Quick Test Performs tool hardware self-tests.
Plus exciting new features added like: Color QVGA Graphic Backlit LCDGM, Ford, and Chrysler ABS support for 1996-2005 vehicles, SD Memory Card Expansion Slot, On tool acronym library.
Dynamic Language Switching - English and Spanish, GM, Ford, Chrysler, Toyota, Honda, and Nissan OBD I functionality GM, Ford, Chrysler, Toyota, Honda, and NissanOBD II Enhanced functionality, USB Port in Tool - Cable Included.
Included Print Data via USB PC Interface, Graphing data - All vehicles, OBD II Drive Cycle Mode, Batteries Included

There are also upgrades for it for air bag systems

SVT_MERC
02-25-2010, 11:22 AM
Sorry, I guess I should have been more specific. Since I just finished school at wyotech, I am looking for a professional scantool. A scangauge or sub-$100 autozone tool isn't quite what I'm looking for.

Leo- you matco doesn't sound too bad. How often do you use it, whats our oppinion of it, have you ever had any trouble with it. The only tool I've been told to stay away from is snap-on's Modis. Which is way out of my price range anyway.

LeoVampire
02-25-2010, 12:09 PM
Sorry, I guess I should have been more specific. Since I just finished school at wyotech, I am looking for a professional scantool. A scangauge or sub-$100 autozone tool isn't quite what I'm looking for.

Leo- you matco doesn't sound too bad. How often do you use it, whats our oppinion of it, have you ever had any trouble with it. The only tool I've been told to stay away from is snap-on's Modis. Which is way out of my price range anyway.

Now that I am retired I mostly use it for my neighbors and friends cars. When ever the check engine light comes on I get a phone call. I also used it to track down the problem I had with setting a code on my Marauder after I put the long tube headers on. Told me which O2 sensor was giving me the problem and turned out to be the one I replaced seeing I could not get the original one out of the manifold on the Drivers side.

Went with a Bosch universal direct fit instead of a specific before cat heated one.

Anyways I have used it to diagnose and pull codes on Chevy's, Fords and a Honda. For me it works fine and have no problems with it. If I had the money I would have gotten one that also worked with the ABS system to be honest. To me it is worth the money to be able to get into that as well but seeing I am no longer working in a shop full time I could not see the added expence. If I was still working I would have bought that in a heart beat!

I hope this answers your questions!?

BTW

If your not looking to work on any foreign cars and want to at least access ABS Brake system codes you can go for this one. Just for domestic cars only though and not expandable.

ABS + CANOBD2 SCAN TOOL

Professional OBD2 Generic Scan Tool all 1996 and newer cars, light trucks, and SUVs - Domestic, Asian and European Import Diagnoses ABS codes on 1996 and newer GM, Ford and Chrysler vehicles.
Provides SAE enhanced Live Data - views, records, and plays back* live PCM data streams Displays Freeze Frame Data
Diagnoses ABS codes on most 1996 and newer GM, Ford and Chrysler vehicles.
Features unique patented all-in-one backlit screen and LED display for quick State Emissions readiness check and drive cycle verification Retrieves OEM Enhanced and Transmission DTCs
Communicates with all OBD 2 protocols: C.A.N. (Controller Area Network), ISO 9141, J1850PWM, J1850VPW, KWP 2000 ISO 14230-4
Retrieves OBD2 DTCs: Generic Codes (P0, P2, P3, and U0) / Manufacturer Specific Codes (P1, P3, and U1)
Memory / Battery backup for off-car review and analysis
Includes Spanish and French Interface & Definitions (selected by a menu command)
Comes with access to CanOBD2.com RepairSolutions which gives trouble code definitions, a full diagnostic report, probable causes, most likely fix to DTC's, repair costs and more.

Part#: 3160 Price: $329.95

SVT_MERC
02-25-2010, 12:48 PM
Thanks, that does help a bit. I was wondering about the ABS, since I am just getting into the industry, I am thinking that it is worth my while to get something that does handle ABS and SRS systems.

LeoVampire
02-25-2010, 12:53 PM
And it is a never ending process.

Custom tool box from Matco $5,000.00

$30,000.00 in tools

$5,000.00 in specalized equipment.

The shops only provide large stuff the air tools and everything else is your responsability and takes time to build up seeing how much the cost is.

But a good shop should have the scan tools for use already if they cover those types of repairs.

If your looking for a place to work ask them if they send the techs to classes and or schools to stay updated on the new tech.

The one's I worked for sent us to classes every few months free of charge just had to get there for them.

omarauder
02-25-2010, 01:23 PM
I got one of these with the Ford Enhanced software. Used it only a few times just play around, as I've yet to need it. You need to get a used laptop with windows.

http://www.obdscan.net/

LeoVampire
02-25-2010, 01:30 PM
I got one of these with the Ford Enhanced software. Used it only a few times just play around, as I've yet to need it. You need to get a used laptop with windows.

http://www.obdscan.net/

Unless your only looking to work on 1 type of vehicle it adds up fast.

$140.00 for the tool
and $69.00 for each software up grade for each type of manufacture and still only a beta for the GM.

Not practicle for a new starting auto tech! Just nice for someone who is only going to work on his own car's. That lap top will bite the dust in a shop pretty quick going from car to car.