PDA

View Full Version : throttle body spacer p1000 dtc

tallpaul
02-25-2010, 09:18 PM
I recently bought a throttle body spacer from summitt. They claimed it would fit the 2003-2004 marauder. I am having problems making it fit. The throttle cables are not long enough. It also set off a p1000 dtc. The car ran fine before. Tried to clear the code with my SCT. Car will not crank. It tries to start but, it smokes when starting. Can any one help me?

ntd
02-25-2010, 09:34 PM
A p1000 is set after all codes are cleared and a drive cycle has not been completed. What do you mean that the t-body spacer will not fit can you take some pic's? There are much better things to spend money on than a T-body spacer.

tallpaul
02-25-2010, 09:48 PM
Your right there are better things to spend money on but, this seemed to be easy hp and torque. When I first started the car the custom tune from alt auto was still on. Don't know if that had anything to do with it or not. The throttle cable, cruise control cable and throttle spring will not reach the throttle body with the spacer on. I took the spacer off and tried starting it but the dtc was still there and would not go away.

stangracr
02-25-2010, 10:34 PM
That dtc will not go away till a drive cycle has been performed. Dont worry about the p1000. It means nothing as far as how the car runs and does not indicate a problem. The p1000 will go away on its own.

ed

massacre
02-26-2010, 03:46 AM
Can you modify the bracket, or the way the bracket attaches to the intake? If it's the same as a mach 1 intake, I bet you might be able to use longer bolts and some spacers to move the bracket closer to the TB?
Do you have enough cable to do this, or are you running out of cable?

I have no idea about the code.

FordNut
02-26-2010, 06:25 AM
Apparently you re-flashed the tune or disconnected the battery, that's why you have the p1000 code. Not enough drive-cycles to reset it yet. Throw away the TB spacer and make sure the gasket is installed properly.

tallpaul
02-26-2010, 06:28 AM
How do I perform a drive cycle? The car won't even run. The cables are not long enough to reach.

FordNut
02-26-2010, 06:36 AM
How do I perform a drive cycle? The car won't even run. The cables are not long enough to reach.

Apparently you re-flashed the tune or disconnected the battery, that's why you have the p1000 code. Not enough drive-cycles to reset it yet. Throw away the TB spacer and make sure the gasket is installed properly.

Do this ^^^

Granite
02-26-2010, 06:36 AM
just drive normally for a week or two...some city traffic and highway speeds should do the trick

tallpaul
02-26-2010, 06:42 AM
I have tried cranking the car and it would still not run. I will try a new throttle body gasket. What exactly is a drive cycle and how do I perform one when the car won't run? Thanks for your help.

FordNut
02-26-2010, 07:05 AM
Do not worry about the p1000 code. It is only important to emissions testers. It will go away after you drive the car awhile. Get rid of the spacer, make sure the gasket is installed correctly, basically put everything back the way it was before you started messing with it.

ntd
02-26-2010, 07:13 AM
like fordnut said Remove the throttle body spacer and return it. Reinstall the throttle body with a new gasket lets work on getting the car started. the p1000 is not preventing the car from starting is nothing to worry about, the car checks the operation of the emissions equipment as its driven there is nothing you need to do to clear the p1000 other than drive the car and forget about that code.

tallpaul
02-26-2010, 07:34 AM
O.K. since the p1000 is nothing to worry about, what do you think is keeping it from starting? I guess I will just count my loses on the throttle body spacer. This really was more trouble than it was worth.

FordNut
02-26-2010, 07:40 AM
O.K. since the p1000 is nothing to worry about, what do you think is keeping it from starting? I guess I will just count my loses on the throttle body spacer. This really was more trouble than it was worth.

Either the TB spacer or the gasket, or both. Could be an electrical connector left unplugged. The cables have nothing to do with starting and idling.

ntd
02-26-2010, 07:51 AM
double check all your electrical connections and vacuum connection, did you just also add a tune or was the t-body spacer the only thing you changed since it ran last? when you say smoke is it black like it running to rich?

Zack
02-26-2010, 08:26 AM
The TB spacer is most likely blocking the IAC passage due to it either being installed upside down or backwards.

Throw it in the garbage.

tallpaul
02-26-2010, 08:38 AM
Since the p1000 isn't keeping the car from starting, what do you think is? Once again Murphy's law is in effect, O'Reilly had to order the gasket.

Zack
02-26-2010, 08:39 AM
Since the p1000 isn't keeping the car from starting, what do you think is? Once again Murphy's law is in effect, O'Reilly had to order the gasket.

You put the spacer on upside down or backwards. Its THAT SIMPLE

FordNut
02-26-2010, 09:18 AM
Or it's designed for a different application and doesn't have the air passages. Sometimes cross-referenced parts don't really work. Also if the gasket is installed upside down it would block the airflow passages.

tallpaul
02-26-2010, 09:21 AM
When I first put the spacer on I started it with my custom tune from alt. auto. Don't know if that caused the problem. O'Reilly's had to order the gasket and it will take a few days. I can't really tell what color the smoke is because I am afraid to crank it for very long. It has a really funky smell that I don't think I have smelled before.

FordNut
02-26-2010, 09:25 AM
TAKE the spacer OFF. See if the old gasket is ok. If so, put the throttle body back on with the old gasket. See if it runs. If the old gasket is ripped, put the TB back on without a gasket. See if it runs, then put on the gasket whenever it arrives. Make sure the gasket is not flipped over the wrong way.

tallpaul
02-26-2010, 09:51 AM
I just noticed when I took the spacer off that the gasket they sent and the O.E.M gasket are not the same. Their gasket is solid across the top (there is no hole there) the O.E.M has a hole there. Maybe this is the problem.

SC Cheesehead
02-26-2010, 09:53 AM
I just noticed when I took the spacer off that the gasket they sent and the O.E.M gasket are not the same. Their gasket is solid across the top (there is no hole there) the O.E.M has a hole there. Maybe this is the problem.

I think that's what they've been trying to tell you all along. ;)

Zack
02-26-2010, 10:20 AM
Cut a hole in it!

tallpaul
02-26-2010, 10:21 AM
I had the spacer on the right way it was just the gaskets were different. Hopefully this will fix the problem. A new gasket is a damn site cheaper than having it towed in and paying the dealer to fix it. That would have been the easiest $100 they ever made. I let you guys no on Tuesday. Thanks for the help.

FordNut
02-26-2010, 10:41 AM
I still don't see why you don't take it off. There is absolutely no gain in power or economy, just a lot of hassle to modify the cable bracket.

It's kind of like the "tornado" device you put in the intake tube. And magnets on the fuel line.

tallpaul
02-26-2010, 10:44 AM
I am taking it off and I will try to return it. I guess this is just another lesson learned.

RacerX
02-26-2010, 10:47 AM
I'm getting this same probelm. I rigged up an AC invertor to power a hair dryer off the cigarette lighter and duct taped it to the MAF to ram more air into the intake like a supercharger only cheaper. How do I get rid of my codes too???

FordNut
02-26-2010, 10:53 AM
I'm getting this same probelm. I rigged up an AC invertor to power a hair dryer off the cigarette lighter and duct taped it to the MAF to ram more air into the intake like a supercharger only cheaper. How do I get rid of my codes too???

The molecular alignment of your fuel is out of phase. I've got just what you need. Just add it to your fuel and you'll pick up 1000 horsepower. Send me a check or paypal will be ok. $10,000 for a full month's supply. If you prepay for a year's supply I'll give you a discount.

tallpaul
02-26-2010, 10:57 AM
Man, I would not try anything like that. If you do see any power gains they won't be worth the time or trouble. Believe me I just found that out.

RacerX
02-26-2010, 11:08 AM
Oh yeah! Hair Dryer FTW! :burnout:It has to be a Conair ceramic ionizer one though with lots of CFMs!