PDA

View Full Version : Are there any locksmiths here?

Wires
02-26-2010, 08:37 AM
I live in BF Georgia, and a "locksmith" around here is a guy with a key duplicator that may or may not know how to use it.

I need a real locksmith to make me some keys for my project car - the 1992 Crown Vic.

The ignition cylinder was bad, so I changed it. I can go into great details about the ford 10-cut key system, and why I need the key that I need, and how it doesn't correspond to any Ford key code, but I'll skip all that for now and say I know the specific biting (10 digit depth specifications) I need for my keys - I just need a locksmith with a "code machine" to make them for me.

No one on the internet I've contacted is willing to help me. Most cite "security reasons" but one of them admitted he just didn't want to do it.

This is laughable. If one wanted to steal a car, you'd use a flex rod or coat hanger to press the unlock button, (or break the window) and then use a BF hammer and big punch to get to the ignition. It would take a good thief 30 seconds, a bad one a minute or two.

My point is, no car thief would be asking for a specific key biting to be cut. Furthermore, no car thief would be stealing a 1992 crown vic ex police car, with a crappy 200 dollar paint job. (Thanks, dad.)

Can anyone here help me? I can supply blanks, or I'll buy them. I got some nice "Ford/Family of Fine cars" blanks on E-bay.

tjl006
02-26-2010, 08:44 AM
Is the blank a H75 or an earlier key H60. do you have the original key? The replacment should of came with the key.

Blown3.8
02-26-2010, 08:45 AM
If I was still at the dealer I'd do it for you. Its really not that hard. A dealer should have the hand cut tool that you can cut a key by just the depths you need. Does the square key work both the door and ignition. If so you need to get a ign cylinder with the same 5th cut as the door cylinder. They have the suffix as A-E for the different depth cuts. Then just cut the new ignition cylinder back half to fit the door code.

Blown3.8
02-26-2010, 08:50 AM
When I was at the dealer i had a tackle box with a bunch of spare tumblers so if I had to I could break a cylinder down and change any position I wanted. Man i miss having access to all that stuff.

Wires
02-26-2010, 08:53 AM
Is the blank a H75 or an earlier key H60. do you have the original key? The replacment should of came with the key.

It's an H-75 type blank. I did get a key with the replacement, but it doesn't unlock the doors. I want one key for both. (see below)

If I was still at the dealer I'd do it for you. Its really not that hard. A dealer should have the hand cut tool that you can cut a key by just the depths you need. Does the square key work both the door and ignition. If so you need to get a ign cylinder with the same 5th cut as the door cylinder. They have the suffix as A-E for the different depth cuts. Then just cut the new ignition cylinder back half to fit the door code.

Yes, Ray "The dealer" got me the correct part - the fifth position on my new cylinder matches the fifth position on my door locks.

The middle two (fifth and sixth) are shared by the door lock and ignition. Just so Ford Parts doesn't have to stock 25 different cylinders, the sixth position on the "Service" cylinder has no pin - so you just have to match the 5th position - one of 5 (5 depths) for that key position.

I need a key that matches my original for the 6 door positions, only one of which is shared by the new ignition, and the remaining 4 for the new ignition. I worked it all out and have the 10 digits I need.

I just need someone with a code machine to cut it.

Wires
02-26-2010, 08:55 AM
If a new code machine didn't cost 2 grand (or more) I'd buy one. I'm the kind of crazy guy who liked to "do it himself, even if it means buying tools that cost more than it costs to have someone else do it," but there are limits to everything.

Zack
02-26-2010, 09:19 AM
Shoot me the code.
The 'key guy' at my dealer is in his 70's and gets off on doing stuff like this.

Zack
02-26-2010, 12:12 PM
My dealer is on it as we speak.

Ill pick it up after work...just need your mailing address.

Blown3.8
02-26-2010, 01:03 PM
Shoot me the code.
The 'key guy' at my dealer is in his 70's and gets off on doing stuff like this.

I always took the time to learn the odd ball stuff that came thru our parts dept. Cause it was more of a hassel once it did and nobody knew anything about it. I hate the automated machines, it cuts to the worn out depths on your new key. I always just liked using the hand held cutter was quicker anyway. I could read the depths by sight.

Your lucky you got someone that wants to do that stuff. i hate walkin into the dealer and trying to tell them how to do their job. Always gotta explain I worked here way back when go get the cutter and let me do it myself its over back in that corner.:shake:

Glad someone could help out.:beer:

Zack
02-26-2010, 01:10 PM
I always took the time to learn the odd ball stuff that came thru our parts dept. Cause it was more of a hassel once it did and nobody knew anything about it. I hate the automated machines, it cuts to the worn out depths on your new key. I always just liked using the hand held cutter was quicker anyway. I could read the depths by sight.

Your lucky you got someone that wants to do that stuff. i hate walkin into the dealer and trying to tell them how to do their job. Always gotta explain I worked here way back when go get the cutter and let me do it myself its over back in that corner.:shake:

Glad someone could help out.:beer:

HAHA the guy said immediately....
"Why does this guy want 10 cuts on an 8 cut blank"

I just told him to do it and he did. :beer: