PDA

View Full Version : First impressions of '10 SHO

Murader03
03-05-2010, 03:10 AM
Just spent 2 days on 2 trips for a total of 1050 miles. The longest 840 round trip. The car handled well, with "more" than ample power for road running and two lane passing. The ride was comfortable even with the sport suspension anmd 20" tires. Averaged 23.7 for the trip and still heading up. I think there are ample seat positions for anyone to find, along with the pedal and steering wheel movement. After driving the Freestyle, the cup holders seem rather small and cramped. There is also a lack of storage in the console.
The multi-contour seats are a nice options for tired butt and back, but the seat pan seems a little on the hard side, I think they cold have done a better job here. The back portion works well, but subtle. I thought the seats in the SE I test drove we a little softer. I had a semi pull into my lane approaching an entrance ramp, there was about a 30 MPH speed difference, the brakes worked great. The truck entering was well ahead, and I had a clear lane right, I moved over hit the gas, and was around both as the car approached triple digits. What a rush there.

The car and the red candy are attention getters. I had several troopers give me the once over (within speed limit). Several waves, and horns too.

Overall, Ford did a good job, but there is room for improvement. The console sides need to be softer. If you lean your leg on it, the hard plastic tells quickly. The auto dim rear view mirror is a little slow to react. Sync needs a little help at times with noisy backrounds. The nav unit although the best I've traveled with, can lead you astray, and to much road info displayed in basically the same shade as your route. The traffic link can also be distracting, giving reports away from your intended route.

Murader03
03-05-2010, 03:17 AM
More on Nav......In milege modes greater than .5 or 1 mile range, the display can really get confussing and for want of another work, cramped for space, in metro areas. The DC area on 2.5/5 mile range was so cramped for space it was had to find your route if the direction arrow was not present. Be aware, it can and will lead you astray of the correct and most direct route. At least it did in DC, but I knew where I was, and where I wanted to end up, so nav inputs were disregarded.

Marauder Rick
03-05-2010, 03:44 AM
I wasn't aware that they made an 01' SHO...i guess ya learn somethin' new every day.

SC Cheesehead
03-05-2010, 05:02 AM
I wasn't aware that they made an 01' SHO...i guess ya learn somethin' new every day.

It says '10??? :dunno:

Marauder Rick
03-05-2010, 06:45 AM
It says '10??? :dunno:

it says 10' now

DOOM
03-05-2010, 09:40 AM
I want one!

LeoVampire
03-05-2010, 11:14 AM
Yes I have noticed in test driving a few of the new cars the leather seats can sometimes have a lot to be desierd.

I found most of the cars with the cloth seats more comfortable especialy for a longer trip. They may be harder to keep clean but feel much better against the body than the new leather seats.

But I hope you Love the car for years to come!

tbone
03-05-2010, 11:53 AM
The cloth seats in my wife's 06 Explorer are hard as a rock!

LeoVampire
03-05-2010, 12:12 PM
The cloth seats in my wife's 06 Explorer are hard as a rock!

The older one's it is a 50/50 chance that one is better than the other feel wise.

For example I test drove a 2008 Mercury Mariner one with Leather and one with Cloth seats and I much preferd the cloth seats for comfort and feel. Felt the differnce right off the bat.

Even the guys at the dealership said the same thing to me and agreed. Same was with the new Milan I was thinking about. 2010 Milan the cloth felt better than the leather comfort wise.

They need to add that memory foam to them they have for the beds if you ask me!

MrBluGruv
03-05-2010, 12:13 PM
Personally I think cloth seats are super easy to maintain compared to leather, I can steam clean and scrub cloth seats. The ones in my '02 Galant looked new right before I sold it.

Big Black Beast
03-05-2010, 02:08 PM
If that's all you can find to complain about, I think you'll be able to live with it.:)

If not, go rent a Dodge Avenger for a day.:rolleyes:

Shoman594
03-05-2010, 08:22 PM
Good deal, it really is a fantastic car! I think you will enjoy it.

SpartaPerformance
03-05-2010, 09:33 PM
A few other magazines and testers also had issues with the seat pan, hopefully they will cure that issue in the next update, also being Ford sales jumped up 43% last month and if they continue to rise perhaps they'll have a bit of money to change some other interior materials. Unfotunately none of the local dealers will let me drive one. They all know how I test drive :D

Murader03
03-06-2010, 12:03 AM
it says 10' now

Thanks! It would not let me change the thread title after I found the mistake. Thanks again!

Murader03
03-06-2010, 12:18 AM
Sorry! I guess you took it wrong. I wasn't complaining at all. You all wanted 1st impressions and I gave them. All bells and whistles worked well. Then "ONLY" issue was SYNC with my phone, I had to pair the phone every time I got into the car, even when the phone was left in the car during stops. The other issue was the "NAV" as stated. To much displayed information in map mode, and "IT" can lead you off the correct route if not careful. As with all car, there will be issues, the SHO is not exception. But for the effort Ford has put into this, it's a great car. The is Ford's "new" full size car, and they have done a pretty good job and making it seem that way. The Panther is beeing redone for police work, and a new plaform for that is in the near future.

Having slept on that 2000 mile trip of the past 2 days, I can't think of any glaring faults for this car. It took on the miles/trip and roads effortlessly! It hauled a lot of luggage back with the only thing not going in the trunk was two "large" pillows.