PDA

View Full Version : Any tips for keeping cats off the car?

Clarkitus
11-11-2003, 10:36 AM
Any tips for keeping cats off the car? (Short of putting it in a garage and leaving anti-freeze in a nice milk dish, that is.)

Bigdogjim
11-11-2003, 10:43 AM
When you have answer post it! Neighbor's cat is all over mine!!!

RF Overlord
11-11-2003, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Clarkitus
leaving anti-freeze in a nice milk dish, that is.)

Now, that's not nice... :mad:

Maybe try one of those whirly things boaters use to keep seagulls off? You could stick it with a suction cup to the middle of the hood...might look stoopid, but it's better than having all the claw marks and dirty paw prints...or try squirting the cat with water from a spray bottle (or a Super-Soaker, for long range sniper action)...they don't like that, and will eventually equate sitting on your hood with the discomfort...

I don't think there IS much else you can do...cats like nice warm places: the top of the fridge, the TV, your hood...

MAD-3R
11-11-2003, 11:06 AM
cats like nice warm places: the top of the fridge, the TV, your hood...

Middle of beds when your trying to sleep...

CRUZTAKER
11-11-2003, 11:11 AM
And you thought YOU had cat problems.......

Mine brings EVERY varmit it kills, and leaves it ON my car.:confused: :help: :mad2:

:coolman: Leo good kitty?

Slowpoke
11-11-2003, 11:12 AM
electrify the outer shell.

may take lots of testing and result in a few dead cats along the way, but what the heck, there are lots of cats on this planet.

Clarkitus
11-11-2003, 11:16 AM
Hey, CRUZTAKER, that was one of those "what are you laughing at over there" posts.

I heard from a guy at my dealer that pepper in the yard would do the trick. Two pounds later (after my son and I got it all over us and started sneezing like crazy) the cats are back.

deerejoe
11-11-2003, 11:18 AM
Wait until they get up in the engine bay from below...then your problems really begin!!

NPRs "Car Talk" program advised a caller with similar probs. to use an ANTI-AGENT (scent) for cats available from a store like Pets-Mart. Primary use is furniture and bases below counter tops, etc.
Try applying product around car (not on hood surface).
This is a PIA situation not easily remedied.
If a garage is not feasible...perhaps an auto cover is the solution; though it will still leave access to engine bay from below.

Deep thought might bring forth more creative ideas??

2003 MIB
11-11-2003, 11:26 AM
Use a citrus based cleaner on the wheels and an orange air freshner. They hate the scent.

duhtroll
11-11-2003, 11:52 AM
Also, if you intend to shoot them with water, know that cats with claws will extend said claws for the horrified jump off the car, and with our paint that is not a good combo.

Got some nice scratches on a table "shooting" a cat off of it.

-A

Nathan
11-11-2003, 12:33 PM
I think your best bet is to get rid of the cat(s). I had a Racoon get into my garage and leave a dookie on my windshield. Two days and one live trap later, no more Racoon :) I didn't mind him eating the garbage every week, but taking a crap on the MM pushed me overboard.

LincMercLover
11-11-2003, 12:46 PM
Get a dog...?

martyo
11-11-2003, 01:16 PM
Leave RF sitting outside in your driveway? I know that would scare me away.....

Slowpoke
11-11-2003, 01:22 PM
I still think applying electricity to the car's exterior would keep the cat's off.

prchrman
11-11-2003, 01:23 PM
guy in Wis. has a racoon getting in his trash cans every night (or so he thinks) so he hooks up some volts to the metal can...goes out next morning and the neighbors cat is dead in can...he takes cat and lays in street and promply drives over it on the way out...problem solved for him...DISCLAIMER: I do not suggest this to anyone...just what happened...101 uses for cats...one great book...willie

2003 MIB
11-11-2003, 01:30 PM
I hate cats. I used to go to the beach but the cats kept burying me in the sand...

RF Overlord
11-11-2003, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by duhtroll
Also, if you intend to shoot them with water, know that cats with claws will extend said claws for the horrified jump off the car, and with our paint that is not a good combo.

Got some nice scratches on a table "shooting" a cat off of it.

duh is right...not a very good suggestion after all...

So, NEVERMIND...

SergntMac
11-11-2003, 01:54 PM
*****, I thought this was another exhaust thread, ready to post "here we go again..."

Agent M79
11-11-2003, 01:59 PM
Me to Mac, was starting to imagine some interesting heat shield designs.

Cats also hate bright light. If you go this route you may want to make plenty of noise getting in the car and possibly honk the horn before starting. The light not only drives them away but may drive them into the engine bay.

Bigdogjim
11-11-2003, 02:07 PM
You know its a good thing that the animals lovers groups do read this stuff or we be in BIG trouble!
http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/_950/viking.gif

vaderv
11-11-2003, 02:46 PM
People, we drive a MERCURY. The sign of thae cat!, remember... Be thankfull its just a tabby and not a Cougar. ; )

prchrman
11-11-2003, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Bigdogjim
You know its a good thing that the animals lovers groups do read this stuff or we be in BIG trouble!
http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/_950/viking.gif

I am a animal lover...steak, ham, pork chops, tiger wings, etc etc
I eat their meat and wear their hides...

Bowman9
11-11-2003, 03:13 PM
You could try mothballs or mothflakes, I know dogs don't like the smell could work for cats too.

Bigdogjim
11-11-2003, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by prchrman
I am a animal lover...steak, ham, pork chops, tiger wings, etc etc
I eat their meat and wear their hides...

Maybe on another board this would be funny?

Bigdogjim
11-11-2003, 05:11 PM
Clarkitus: Try tin foil across the hood!
Should not hurt the paint tuck in, cats do not like walking on any thing that makes "noise".
Just one sheet in the middle should do it!

Perfect fix!!!
http://smilies.sofrayt.com/1/c0/biggrinroll.gif

marauder307
11-11-2003, 05:16 PM
Knew somebody who used to have a big, BIG problem with the neighborhood strays getting up on his '68 Charger, leaving "presents" of ALL kinds on his hood, vinyl roof, trunk, etc.

Solved the problem by buying about 50 of those little old-fashioned wood/metal spring mousetraps. The car was a show vehicle, so he didn't drive it constantly; whenever he'd go out to drive it he'd just go ahead and trip the traps to get to the car, and reset everything when he came back. At first, he'd find about 10-15 tripped traps per night; after a while, the cats got smart and moved on. By the time he let the car go (sold it to a dealer in IL I think---doggone thing had over 200,000 miles on it) he wasn't finding any sprung traps at all.

Those lil suckers don't cost much I think...mebbe 5 for 2 bucks or some such amount. Remember, this'll work for show cars only...it'd be a total pain in the ass to do this for a driver...

Haggis
11-11-2003, 05:19 PM
You could have Marty come over wearing his Rhino suit going "Hear kitty..kitty..kitty. Hear kitty..kitty..kitty." That would scare me away!http://smilies.sofrayt.com/1/v/hairraise.gif

martyo
11-11-2003, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Haggis
You could have Marty come over wearing his Rhino suit going "Hear kitty..kitty..kitty. Hear kitty..kitty..kitty." That would scare me away!http://smilies.sofrayt.com/1/v/hairraise.gif

Is that why you wouldn't talk to me in Hershey???

Haggis
11-11-2003, 05:49 PM
And you didn't even have your Rhino Suit on.

martyo
11-11-2003, 06:00 PM
And you didn't even have your Rhino Suit on.

It's okay, I have been ignored by better people than you!

:alone:

CRUZTAKER
11-11-2003, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by 2003 MIB
I hate cats. I used to go to the beach but the cats kept burying me in the sand...

:lol: ...not sure how many will get this one!

Must have been Large cats!

Seriously folks....I had an issue with a cat getting on the kitchen counter and baby crib. And yes, electricity works. I went to the local pet store and bought a product called 'the scat mat'. It is a rubber mat 2x5 in size with low voltage wires within it. It has three settings, low, medium, and shat that hurt! Runs on a 9v battery and has indicator lites to show how many times it went off. This product works...period. I haven't used it in years. I think I paid $75.

I will send it to you if you PM me, and I'll let you use it for awhile. Ussually only takes a few shots and the cat will no longer visit that area. Let me know.

-Barry

Haggis
11-12-2003, 09:01 AM
Marty I was not ignoring you, you were just to busy with Mac and Mary. We were at the same table at Shady Maple. I am just quiet until I get to know you. http://smilies.sofrayt.com/1/f/offwall.gif http://smilies.sofrayt.com/1/f/scatter.gifhttp://smilies.sofrayt.com/1/9971/encore.gifhttp://smilies.sofrayt.com/1/p/dialog.gif

Ok, I will devote all my attention to you the next time we meet.[img]http://smilies.sofrayt.com/1/950/fart.gif

TAF
11-12-2003, 09:13 AM
Usually...a small caliber .22 will work.

(I'm off on a plane...can't wait to see the reaction to this one at the hotel tonight)

sailsmen
11-12-2003, 09:13 AM
Plastic Poisonous snake, works every time.

TripleTransAm
11-12-2003, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by TAF
Usually...a small caliber .22 will work.

(I'm off on a plane...can't wait to see the reaction to this one at the hotel tonight)

Must be tough to stuff the cat inside the gun barrell... :confused:

duhtroll
11-12-2003, 10:41 AM
and what is a plastic "poisonous" snake anyway?

-A

sailsmen
11-12-2003, 03:44 PM
One with an arrow shaped head.

Hemlock
11-12-2003, 03:52 PM
A STEADY 100 MPH DOES IT FOR ME !!

martyo
11-12-2003, 03:55 PM
[B]We were at the same table at Shady Maple.

That was you????

Not too worry, I don't need no stinkin' Haggis!!

;)

cyclone03
11-12-2003, 03:55 PM
A "friend" of mine had this problem years ago with his first ever new truck.
Seems the cats had "love in's" on his hood then sang about it.
He got one of those live varmit traps then took a cat for a ride every day on the way to work,just dropped then off in the desert.
All was good(for the cats)until they started finding thier way home.Then the rides became one way.....
He did improve his shooting skills....
One night before bed the trap sprung closed and the kitty started crying....a lot.
Rope on the cage and plunk in the pool.....
He felt bad when the nieghborhood kids would come to the door looking for kitty...
But in about 6 mounths no more cats...
Nice nieghborhood.

troopcar
11-13-2003, 04:40 PM
Wow, there are some take-no-prisoners solutions here. I'm glad I keep my little darlin' in the house.

But seriously, the roamin' cats in my neighborhood don't seem interested in my cars. Could it be because I grow a big cat-nip plant in a big whisky half-barrel away from the cars? Dunno. I've seen cats get right in the barrel with the plant and have a good ole time. (I swear, it really is cat-nip.);)

Now if I could just figure out what to do about the two big barkin' outdoor dogs behind me . . .:mad:

Silver_04
11-13-2003, 05:17 PM
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=73987

schuvwj
11-13-2003, 08:31 PM
I had a boss several years ago that had the same problem with the neighbor's cats and his new truck.
He built a silencer for his 22 pistol. At night he would shoot the cats in the neighbor's yard then put them in the road and ran over them with his truck to make look like an accident.
After 23 road kills his neighbor finally gave up having cats!

UAW 588
11-13-2003, 09:09 PM
I think this will solve your problem permantlly. It does for me.

CRUZTAKER
11-14-2003, 06:04 AM
This thread is no longer helpfull to the decent individual who asked for a REASONABLE solution to a varmit problem.

Problem is...killing an animal for this reason maybe humorous to read about for some of us...but in reality is against the law. It is a felony in some states. Most recently in Ohio. If your so called neighbor was killing cats in MY neighborhood, I'd have him easily prosecuted, and likely a good ass kicking too. These individuals bring new meaning to the word '****y'.

Animal cruelety...what's next...spousel abusal? It isn't right, and those of you who were brought up with any kind of education know better.

If you're not gonna eat it, don't kill it....besides, there are these new fangled places called 'supermarkets'

I apologize...but this issue weighs heavy on my heart....

Clarkitus
11-14-2003, 10:29 AM
Yeah, I don't think that I'd like my kids to see a "dearly departed" varmit on the road in front of the house.

Thanks for all of the "suggestions". I'm officially on a quest. I'll be sure to post anything that works.

Dr Caleb
11-14-2003, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by CRUZTAKER

Animal cruelety...what's next...spousel abusal?

If you're not gonna eat it, don't kill it....

I apologize...but this issue weighs heavy on my heart....

Well said. I think this thread got just a little too 'Charles Manson' for me, and I worked on the kill floor of an abbatoir for 6 months.

You can't stop a cat from going anywhere. To keep cats off my car, I just cover it at night. No scratches, no foot prints.

Problem solved, nothing died, no stray bullet holes in my garage and the neighbours kids aren't bawling their eyes out.

Ladyhawke
11-16-2003, 11:02 AM
Thanks for your comments Barry. I'm a cat lover and don't like to see any animal hurt. To those that abuse animals, you are lucky that most animals don't fight back. Here is a cat that does ...

jgc61sr2002
11-16-2003, 11:09 AM
Ladyhawk - Welcome to the site. But you have already been here. The KB #8 gives you away. Was nice meeting you and Gordon at Hershey.:D

BillyGman
11-16-2003, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by CRUZTAKER
Animal cruelety...what's next...spousel abusal?
If you're not gonna eat it, don't kill it....besides, there are these new fangled places called 'supermarkets'

I agree w/most of what you said in your post Cruz, and I'm not into torturing or killing peoples' pets even though I don't like cats myself. However lets not equate cruelty to animals w/spousal abuse. I agree that both cruelty to animals as well as cruelty to human beings are both terrible, however I don't place the importance of animals on the same plane as people. I'm not saying that it makes it okay though. And as far as the reference to supermarkets and hunting, I'm not even a hunter, but I see nothing wrong w/hunting as long as what's killed is eaten like you've said.