PDA

View Full Version : Panther saved Toyota victim. HAHA!

Motorhead350
03-09-2010, 11:39 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/35775457#35775457

Maybe this driver will buy a crown vic now!

justbob
03-09-2010, 12:15 PM
That was some seriously awesome communication between the two. I'm glad to see it all worked out. I have a really good friend with a Prius that I wish would just sell that car. Way to go Vicky, stopping power of one and a HALF cars!

Shora
03-09-2010, 12:57 PM
Can someone explain why he had to wait until his was already slowed to around 50 mph to turn off the engine and coast?

Why couldn't he just put the car into neutral and then the brakes would have worked as normal?

Seems to me that it would be easier to put the car in neutral and stop then to call 911 while driving a car with a stuck pedal at 90+ mph.

Why didn't the LEO just tell him to put the car in neutral instead of "pressing the brake pedal down to the floor while using the parking brake"?

What am I missing here?

UAW 588
03-09-2010, 12:59 PM
What a moral booster this has been at work, since Toyota troubles started. Let's keep the punches coming.

RR|Suki
03-09-2010, 01:10 PM
Can someone explain why he had to wait until his was already slowed to around 50 mph to turn off the engine and coast?

Why couldn't he just put the car into neutral and then the brakes would have worked as normal?

Seems to me that it would be easier to put the car in neutral and stop then to call 911 while driving a car with a stuck pedal at 90+ mph.

Why didn't the LEO just tell him to put the car in neutral instead of "pressing the brake pedal down to the floor while using the parking brake"?

What am I missing here?

That assumes that the car will let you shift into N at speed. Don't they have an electronic shifter? IE you move it to N but the ECU controls the actual gear change

LIGHTNIN1
03-09-2010, 01:16 PM
Serves him right for buying such a car. If I had been the trooper I would have yelled," BAIL OUT."

ctrlraven
03-09-2010, 01:46 PM
That's what I would of thought put the damn thing in neutral. I don't know how the hybird system is set up on that car so he it might of locked out neutral unless it below a certain MPH.

Joe Walsh, if you read this I got two words for you Tractor Beam ROFL!!

babbage
03-09-2010, 02:38 PM
What a POS -- they only can do 90???!

MrBluGruv
03-09-2010, 02:46 PM
wait, neutral lock-out? why on earth would that be made into a vehicle, at ANY speed?

Black Dynamite
03-09-2010, 02:47 PM
That assumes that the car will let you shift into N at speed. Don't they have an electronic shifter? IE you move it to N but the ECU controls the actual gear change

That is correct, the computer decides what to do not the mechanical input of the driver. I can't see this at work, but if its a newer Prius they have pushbutton start too. There is no way to "just turn the key off."

JAYSILVER04
03-09-2010, 04:29 PM

What am I missing here?

The gear shift in those cars are actually like a joystick. They return to the same position after being toggled to the desired gear....Plus, the brakes on a Prius aren't brakes until you reach a speed of less than 15mph. At highway speeds, with the pedal depressed, no mechanical action is taking place. What happens is, the electric motor turns in reverse causing the vehicle to slow down essentially making the electric motor a generator. The power that is generated is then stored in the battery pack for acceleration the next time you start off. They call it "regenerative braking". When an emergency situation occurs, the mechanical brakes are supposed to kick in, but only after the vehicle "senses" the driver trying to make a panic stop. They call that brake assist. In this situation, he had no choice but to do what he did. Its a good thing he didn't kill someone or himself. Thank god for the police officer and his instructions!!

p.s...... I sold Toyota side by side with Ford for 7 Years then just Toyota for 2 years.....I now sell BMW....I would love to be back with Ford, but there aren't any Ford dealers around that have a good enough reputation for me to want to join them...

tbone
03-09-2010, 05:03 PM
Who watches msnbc? Yuck!

tbone
03-09-2010, 05:28 PM
How can a person not know how to stop the car when the accelertator sticks? How ignorant can they be in regards to the operation of the car? These people should not have a license.

JAYSILVER04
03-09-2010, 05:36 PM
How can a person not know how to stop the car when the accelertator sticks? How ignorant can they be in regards to the operation of the car? These people should not have a license.

^^^^See my previous post^^^^^

LIGHTNIN1
03-09-2010, 07:04 PM
The gear shift in those cars are actually like a joystick. They return to the same position after being toggled to the desired gear....Plus, the brakes on a Prius aren't brakes until you reach a speed of less than 15mph. At highway speeds, with the pedal depressed, no mechanical action is taking place. What happens is, the electric motor turns in reverse causing the vehicle to slow down essentially making the electric motor a generator. The power that is generated is then stored in the battery pack for acceleration the next time you start off. They call it "regenerative braking". When an emergency situation occurs, the mechanical brakes are supposed to kick in, but only after the vehicle "senses" the driver trying to make a panic stop. They call that brake assist. In this situation, he had no choice but to do what he did. Its a good thing he didn't kill someone or himself. Thank god for the police officer and his instructions!!

p.s...... I sold Toyota side by side with Ford for 7 Years then just Toyota for 2 years.....I now sell BMW....I would love to be back with Ford, but there aren't any Ford dealers around that have a good enough reputation for me to want to join them...

If it becomes this difficult to get groceries I will have them deliverered or will not drive. The hell with it. I will go back to 1970 FORDS.

SpartaPerformance
03-09-2010, 07:42 PM
I wonder if Toyota is going to give him another car and if so will he take it? I wouldn't I'ld tell Akio to buy me a FORD!

Spectragod
03-09-2010, 07:52 PM
I wonder when people will quit buying this junk....

Joe Walsh
03-09-2010, 08:18 PM
That's what I would of thought put the damn thing in neutral. I don't know how the hybird system is set up on that car so he it might of locked out neutral unless it below a certain MPH.

Joe Walsh, if you read this I got two words for you Tractor Beam ROFL!!

LOL.....GET OFF MY BUMPER, IDIOT!!!

You have to remember that people who buy these kind of bland cars
view automobiles as 'road going appliances' and driving as a 'necessary chore'.
They don't want to know, nor do they care about, how the car operates.
Agreed, they should not have licenses.

BTW: This is really fun watching Toyota struggle with so many recalls!
I love it! Anyone want to make up some T-shirts???

Toyota
Unintended
Racing
Development

Shora
03-09-2010, 08:45 PM

That is correct, the computer decides what to do not the mechanical input of the driver. I can't see this at work, but if its a newer Prius they have pushbutton start too. There is no way to "just turn the key off."

Good info considering this particular case (prius).

However, Toyotas have been linked to 34+ deaths due to the sticking pedals in Camrys, Corollas, and even some lexus models.

Due they all not allow one to us neutal at speed to bring the car to a stop?

Big Black Beast
03-09-2010, 09:06 PM
Shoulda let it crash and burn...then again a prius probably couldn't break 100 anyway...:rolleyes:

guspech750
03-09-2010, 09:17 PM
The "stupid" guy just said on the news he did not try to put it in neutral nor did he try to shut it off. Oh but he could dial his cell phone and weave in and out of traffic for 1/2 an hour. http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/fighting/fighting0029.gif (http://www.mysmiley.net/freesmiley.php?smiley=fighting/fighting0029.gif) I hate stupid people. I bet he staged the whole thing due to him being denied by his dealer any recall work since his car didnt fall into the list of cars being recalled!!

Big Black Beast
03-09-2010, 09:28 PM
My Prius tried to kill me!!!
I'm gonna sue!!!!
Maybe he's smarter than you think.
Naaa, he's still stupid.

Shora
03-09-2010, 09:48 PM
http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-hybrid-news/77439-why-out-control-prius-driver-full.html

According to this thread, a number of "prius owners" feel that putting a "prius" into neutral at speed was clearly possible.

However, they could be wrong.

Big Black Beast
03-09-2010, 09:56 PM
The "N" means "Nothing".

RR|Suki
03-09-2010, 10:12 PM
http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-hybrid-news/77439-why-out-control-prius-driver-full.html

According to this thread, a number of "prius owners" feel that putting a "prius" into neutral at speed was clearly possible.

However, they could be wrong.

I say go test drive a prius, go WOT then try to shift into N :D

Shora
03-09-2010, 10:48 PM
The "N" means "Nothing".

I say go test drive a prius, go WOT then try to shift into N :D

Prius owners are saying that pressing the "start" button for 3 seconds while at speed puts the car into neutral.

Black Dynamite
03-09-2010, 11:20 PM
Prius owners are saying that pressing the "start" button for 3 seconds while at speed puts the car into neutral.

hmmmm good info. They would know, it's a matter of life and death for them!!! :lol:

tbone
03-10-2010, 06:29 AM
I wasn't just talking about a Prius......for that car there is something called an Owner's Manual. READ IT!
Who can't figure out how to put a car in neutral? God help us all!

RR|Suki
03-10-2010, 06:58 AM

I get what they are saying, but like I say we are running with assumption that the same applies when the pedal is at WOT. Seeing as the entire system (pedal shifting etc.) is all ECU controlled, I wouldn't assume that because it will let you into N at a given cruising speed that the same applies when the ECU sees WOT.

Shora
03-10-2010, 07:55 AM
I get what they are saying, but like I say we are running with assumption that the same applies when the pedal is at WOT. Seeing as the entire system (pedal shifting etc.) is all ECU controlled, I wouldn't assume that because it will let you into N at a given cruising speed that the same applies when the ECU sees WOT.

Point taken.

I am sure that if this was a Prius Board, one of us would have found out which is true a long time ago.

RR|Suki
03-10-2010, 07:58 AM
Point taken.

I am sure that if this was a Prius Board, one of us would have found out which is true a long time ago.

I agree with that for sure, I'd have tested that boy this morning on the way to work.