PDA

View Full Version : CVPI Replacement News

Vortex
03-10-2010, 02:59 PM
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/10/ford-police-interceptor-revealed-this-friday/

zr271cuda
03-10-2010, 06:05 PM
This is the car that I hope catches on.
http://www.carbonmotors.com/
I know of a couple dept. here in Ohio that have pre ordered some. Being in the law enforcement field, a car that is designed around the cop that is going to be driving it is very exciting to me! They are opening a factory in Indiana.

DEFYANT
03-10-2010, 06:11 PM
Is this new PI going to be service only like the carbon motors car?

zr271cuda
03-10-2010, 06:15 PM
Is this new PI going to be service only like the carbon motors car?

Not from what I've heard.

Vortex
03-10-2010, 06:25 PM
More:

http://www.fordpoliceinterceptorrevea l.com/

JUST 1BULLITT
03-10-2010, 07:42 PM
Hmmmmmmmm.....sounds interesting indeed! Thanks for keeping us posted on these venerable CVPI's! (The more I drive mine, the more I love it! :banana2: JUST like my MARAUDER! :beer: :burnout: :banana2:

Taemian
03-10-2010, 11:06 PM
This is the car that I hope catches on.
http://www.carbonmotors.com/
I know of a couple dept. here in Ohio that have pre ordered some. Being in the law enforcement field, a car that is designed around the cop that is going to be driving it is very exciting to me! They are opening a factory in Indiana.

Those things will be like Naz intakes. High on promises, maybe medium on returns after all the big bugs get sorted out. This has already been brought up here before, but for your own nuts' sake, be careful using the suicide doors.

ctrlraven
03-11-2010, 08:30 AM
Can't wait to find out what it is.

SpartaPerformance
03-11-2010, 10:11 AM
I'm sure it wont be the Carbon Motors cars, they are too expensive for the singular purpose of a police interceptor.

RoyLPita
03-12-2010, 09:57 AM
It's on now but it is blocked at work.

a_d_a_m
03-12-2010, 09:58 AM
Looks like a Taurus with some emergency equipment added.

Sully008
03-12-2010, 10:04 AM

Just watched the reveal. It's definitely based on the new Taurus, with upgraded mechanicals/suspension etc, much like they did with the CVPI. Two engine options, N/A v6 with ~260hp, or Ecoboost V6, AWD with ~365+hp.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/fordpoliceinterceptor/

Black_Out
03-12-2010, 10:04 AM

I agree, they probably won't add anything new at all, basically take a Taurus and slap an interceptor sticker on it.

Lazy ford.....

Black_Out
03-12-2010, 10:07 AM
Just watched the reveal. It's definitely based on the new Taurus, with upgraded mechanicals/suspension etc, much like they did with the CVPI. Two engine options, N/A v6 with ~260hp, or Ecoboost V6, AWD with ~365+hp.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/fordpoliceinterceptor/

God damnit I knew it. It will no doubt be a good car, but wtf ford. They can't make something all new, they have to reuse the taurus and beef it up?

Black_Out
03-12-2010, 10:13 AM
Sounds like theres a nascar race going on in the backround of the presentation lol

MrBluGruv
03-12-2010, 10:18 AM
You really hate the new Taurus don't you? :P

jdenning002
03-12-2010, 10:35 AM
WHAT HAPPENED TO THIS?!?!http://www.kitfoster.com/images/2007-2-14_Ford_Interceptor-concept-13Web-Large.jpg

Vortex
03-12-2010, 11:11 AM
Chevy is going to kick some azz in the police car sales division. FWD or AWD wont work in police applications.

BLACKMARAUDER04
03-12-2010, 11:23 AM
I agree. It's a Taurus. There isn't much head room for tall people, and with the limited range of the seat in Police applications, it will have no legroom.
Why couldn't they use the new 5.0 Mustang engine? What about the replacement vehicle for the Towncar?

LSp8
03-12-2010, 11:41 AM
Ford must be on some save the environment hippy BS and it seems they have no plans to make RWD "Full"-Sized V8 powered cars. If freakin HYUNDAI grew some ballz and made a decent RWD V8 Sedan then why does Ford have it's tail between it's legs. I know they are not going to let the Towncar go without a replacement. I don't see too many limousine companies wasting there time slicing a MKS into a limo. Lincoln dominated the Limo business for far too many years just to P off their loyal customers. I know Ford won't let Chevy outdo them in the Police market too because in reality no Police department in the country will order a fleet of AWD unibody cars they would get destroyed. Most of them hate the Wimpala and do not prefer the Chargers.

LSp8
03-12-2010, 11:48 AM
That Interceptor Concept had my approval the moment I laid eyes on her. That's on my Ford wish list. Imagine, If properly promoted that would have made one heck of a Marauder!!!

a_d_a_m
03-12-2010, 11:56 AM
Chevy is going to kick some azz in the police car sales division. FWD or AWD wont work in police applications. AWD will be great for PD's who deal with snow, but once they realize the repair cost associated with AWD and turbo, they'll flock in droves to Chevy.

Zack
03-12-2010, 12:00 PM
I think it looks awesome.

LeoVampire
03-12-2010, 12:10 PM
Let's face it the car's that are being sold today can out run and out manuver a CVPI car if the driver behind the wheel knows what they are doing.

And with the ability to tune engine's through the on board computor and a few add on's here and there the only thing that is their enemy when trying to get away is the police radio.

And police car's have a ***** of a time in bad weather keeping up with the newer cars due to the all wheel drive options and better handling.

I don't see a problem with moving forward and making it cheaper for the police departments to operate and keep costs down in fuel and repairs.

I hope it does well both for the police and for Ford! :beer:

Black_Out
03-12-2010, 12:13 PM
Looks good, and on the surface, seems good

But AWD seems like a no-no when associated with heavy extended hours of brutal police use and rookie drivers.

I am, however, a big fan of the ecoboost. Seems like Ford is on to something there.

Black_Out
03-12-2010, 12:16 PM
You're talking about romping 8" curbs at 40mph in an AWD with a twin turbo powerplant.

The departments that buy these had better have a big budget for vehicle maintenance and repair

Spectragod
03-12-2010, 03:49 PM
WHAT HAPPENED TO THIS?!?!http://www.kitfoster.com/images/2007-2-14_Ford_Interceptor-concept-13Web-Large.jpg

That design was a sure winner, so they went with the Taurus/500 whatevertheflockyouguyscallit interceptor.

Looks like our new cars will be Dodge and Chevy, FWD = FAIL.

guspech750
03-12-2010, 04:05 PM
That design was a sure winner, so they went with the Taurus/500 whatevertheflockyouguyscallit interceptor.

I thought Chevy was going to use the same platform and body as the G8 and call it the Caprice Intercepter 6 liter V-8 rear wheel drive. I think it will win out. http://www.chevroletcapriceppv.com/

http://image.motortrend.com/f/auto-news/staying-in-the-game-ford-to-reveal-next-police-interceptor-in-early-2010/27135964+w750/2011-chevrolet-caprice-police-car.jpg

DEFYANT
03-12-2010, 04:31 PM
Nice, but I'll keep my SSV Expedition.

FordNut
03-12-2010, 04:52 PM
Imagine, If properly promoted that would have made one heck of a Marauder!!!

Yeah, a real winner... Just like that idea they had awhile back to make a front wheel drive Mustang.

FordNut
03-12-2010, 04:59 PM
Chevy is going to kick some azz in the police car sales division. FWD or AWD wont work in police applications.
Yep, Ford must have decided they're not interested in the Police/Taxi market any more.

AWD will be great for PD's who deal with snow, but once they realize the repair cost associated with AWD and turbo, they'll flock in droves to Chevy.

You're talking about romping 8" curbs at 40mph in an AWD with a twin turbo powerplant. AND zipping across medians...

The departments that buy these had better have a big budget for vehicle maintenance and repair
Won't take them too long to figure out how expensive they are, either.

I thought Chevy was going to use the same platform and body as the G8 and call it the Caprice Intercepter 6 liter V-8 rear wheel drive. I think it will win out. http://www.chevroletcapriceppv.com/

http://image.motortrend.com/f/auto-news/staying-in-the-game-ford-to-reveal-next-police-interceptor-in-early-2010/27135964+w750/2011-chevrolet-caprice-police-car.jpg

That one is a winner, there will be high demand for these after they're retired since they're supposed to be fleet only. Too bad Ford decided to let Government Motors have a freebie.

justbob
03-12-2010, 05:02 PM
Just like the Taurus:puke:

Hacklemerc
03-12-2010, 05:17 PM
I like it. I love the Crown Vic but compared to the newer cars they are a lumbering beast with no handling. With the cost of fuel these days the V6 will be better for fuel economy, but we'll have to see what it does on the power side. I wonder if my Dept will spring for the ECOBOOST or not. The rumor mill has it that the dept is planning on buying the Carbon Motors car.

ntd
03-12-2010, 06:08 PM
I really think for the most part the Taurus platform will work good for most police duty's. The reliability of these cars seems to be very good. Working on fords for a living there are very few problems we have seen with the FWD cars, the AWD's we have been fighting power take off units leaks but no major problems at all. I have had a lot of seat time with the SHO's and the MKS ecoboost.

THE GOOD
The performance of these cars is outstanding.
Civilian use reliability has been very good
I'm 6 ft tall there is plenty of room in these cars
Braking and stability control is top notch

THE BAD
The only problem that I see cop cars are used for pitting and some times crashes do happen. Ford new frame and body construction is all about spreading out the energy involved in a crash. So while your hit in the front end the damage to the metal is spread throughout the body. Using heat and pulling the body back into shape is a no no now,these sections of the body showing damage must be replaced and welded into place. I see the price of collision repair being very expensive for fleet use but the safty of a crash will be superior to our beloved panther's.

Times are certainly changing would I love to see the panthers stay the coarse as it has for many years yes, maybe put the new 5.0 and a 6r80 trans in but seems full frame cars are going to fade away and V8's will only live on in sports cars and trucks:depress:. ok :flamer:

CWright
03-12-2010, 06:31 PM
I've never been impressed with a Taurus. Although, I do like the new SHO. Old version and new. Do you think it will stick around this time or fade out like the old one did?

FordNut
03-12-2010, 06:36 PM
I've never been impressed with a Taurus. Although, I do like the new SHO. Old version and new. Do you think it will stick around this time or fade out like the old one did?

I think it'll be a flash in the pan, the Charger is the new generation duty vehicle. Until/unless the Caprice comes to fruition.

CWright
03-12-2010, 06:47 PM
I know Doom will not like this:D but, I do think the new charger is the ride for the POPO as far as power goes. They had some hick ups with brakes and tranny's but the only problems I see now is keeping up with the demand.

ntd
03-12-2010, 06:57 PM
Power is not the main stay of a good patrol car how long have cops had and loved the 250hp CVPI tipping the scale's at 4400lbs. These cars are not fast but fit the needs for fleet service both reliability and performance, Besides there is always a faster car but you cant outrun the radio. IDK if ford made the right decision with the the fleet service cars. Change doesn't always come easy and Ford is moving very far away from a full frame V8 RWD car.

CWright
03-12-2010, 07:14 PM
Well, maybe this new car will suprise us all. I'm optimistic. I would like to see the new Caprice's capabilities. Based on my conversations with my pd buds, they do like the ride and space better in the cv but the handling and performance of the charger they like too. Maybe one of the automakers will come out with this combination all in one with a rear wheel drive car. We'll see.

Drewstang
03-12-2010, 07:53 PM
This vid pretty much sells me on Ecoboost. Any car that can take a 75mph rear collision without bursting into flames is good enough for most departments to use. You guys that think a full frame car designed 20+ years ago is superior in strength and design to a modern day unibody need your heads checked. Ford would not build up hype and ditch a cash cow Panther platform if they didn't think a new design was better in every single way. Like it or not, the EPA has MPG requirements and the DOT and NHSTA have crash requirements. The older design would not pass the new requirements in 2-3 years.

http://www.youtube.com/user/hpedesign#p/u/1/ULdZ33-ShhA

Vortex
03-12-2010, 08:07 PM
The bloom is off the Charger rose, our PD here was telling me they arent holding up. I imagine the new Taurus will sell a lot at first but its basically the same package as the Impala. I dont think those little V6 engines are going to take all that extended idling ect... I really think GM is making the right move and just to clarify, its not the g8 chassis, its the longer wheelbase Caprice. I bet they eventually sell a civilian version. Ford has made a major boo boo here.

FordNut
03-12-2010, 08:54 PM
This vid pretty much sells me on Ecoboost. Any car that can take a 75mph rear collision without bursting into flames is good enough for most departments to use. You guys that think a full frame car designed 20+ years ago is superior in strength and design to a modern day unibody need your heads checked. Ford would not build up hype and ditch a cash cow Panther platform if they didn't think a new design was better in every single way. Like it or not, the EPA has MPG requirements and the DOT and NHSTA have crash requirements. The older design would not pass the new requirements in 2-3 years.

The police cars take a lot of abuse, beating and banging, fix it and put it back in service. Lots of unibody cars will not be fixable after these incidents, so the overall fleet costs will be a lot higher due to replacement costs.

RoyLPita
03-13-2010, 07:09 AM
After seeing the pics of one decked out, all I have to say about it is:

"Hey Robocop, your car is ready!!!!"

LIGHTNIN1
03-13-2010, 08:25 AM
Going to be interesting to see if the police ditch Ford and stay with RWD in Carbon Motors and Chevys offering. If they do looks like that would cut back on the employees Ford needs.

Vortex
03-13-2010, 08:55 AM
Lots of hype on this carbon motors thingy but Im not onboard. Looks like a redo of a Chrysler 300 with a "Batmobile" grille and I seriously doubt many major police departments will take a gamble ordering multiple cars from a company with zero track record, especially in these days of financial worries.