PDA

View Full Version : Classic Car Insurance

Dragcity
03-29-2010, 09:57 AM
I know we have tossed this around a few times before, but I request a refresher.....

I am tired of putting on and taking off and paying too much for auto insurance on my 65 t-bird. Swapping plates is getting old. I would like to just keep the thing on the road and insured year 'round.

I drive the old bird about 1,200 miles a year, not sure how many more years she has left in her in her current state..?

What is everone doing with their classics? How much ya'll paying on a 12 month policy? Liability coverage is a neccesity here in NY.

I ran through Hagerty for a quote. Just looking for some input form those in the know.

Here's looking forward to better weather coming our way.....

bob6364
03-29-2010, 10:01 AM
I have used Haggety for a few years now on my 1969 Mustang,right now in storage for 168 dollars a year 45k agreed value...

When i was on the road i think I paid low 300...328 sounds about right.

Dragcity
03-29-2010, 10:11 AM
Eastern CT ???

A 1969 Mustang

A Marauder?

Are you my Brother? I have a Brother in Southbury who has a Marauder and a 1969 Mach 1.

What a coincidence.

I have used Haggety for a few years now on my 1969 Mustang,right now in storage for 168 dollars a year 45k agreed value...

When i was on the road i think I paid low 300...328 sounds about right.

Pops
03-29-2010, 10:14 AM
I use Haggerty on my cars but the rates are a lot higher than yours. The dollar amount they are insured for is up from yours plus Michigan has a huge surcharge for unlimited medical coverage. If I got it right the T Bolt clone is around 800.00 a year.

martyo
03-29-2010, 10:16 AM
These folks do the entire collectible part of my fleet.

Tamara Perto
MK Insurance Agency
650 W Grand Ave Ste # 101
Elmhurst, IL 60162
Phone 630-617-9970
Fax 630-617-9777
Toll Free 866-695-2774

I highly recommend them!!

If you use them please mention that Martin "Marty" Ochs sent you to them. I like people to know when I am pimping them out.

LeoVampire
03-29-2010, 10:26 AM
Grundy World wide says I have to have use of a garage and that dosn't happen till April.

This is what I was sent for a $50,000 agreed coverage.

Agreed Value - $50000 modified
Liability - $100000
Comp and Collision - Comp and Collision
Deductible - $0

Quote Information
Liability Rate - $30
Comp and Collision Rate - $700
Deductible Rate - $0
Bodily Injury/Property Damage Liability - $100000 with Comp and Collision
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist - Statutory Limit
Med - Payments (State Limit) Included
Tax - $0
Total (this vehicle)- $730.00

I also looked into a $70,000.00 agreed coverage.

Agreed Value - $70000 modified
Liability - $100000
Comp and Collision - Comp and Collision
Deductible - $0

Quote Information
Liability Rate - $30
Comp and Collision Rate - $980
Deductible Rate - $0
Bodily Injury/Property Damage Liability - $100000 with Comp and Collision
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist - Statutory Limit
Med - Payments (State Limit) Included
Tax - $0
Total (this vehicle)- $1010.00

My reason for the high coverage is the only thing Ford has that is comperable in my eyes is a Shelby GT 500 and up and they cost a bundle of money.

Even paying those amounts for coverage is still almost $2,000.00 LESS than I pay with Progressive for a $250.00 deductable. So to me the price is just fine considering.

My reason for Grundy is no limits on milage put on the car per year and you can bring it out of state to go to car shows. Just can not be used as a daily driver.

When I talked to Hagerty they had issues with milage per year.

Dragcity
03-29-2010, 10:31 AM
Well. I only put the Bird at $8,000 and hagerty spit out $153 for a year.

Sounds like that may work for me, as long as they are reputable and will cover in the event of a misshap. Always more worried about covering others losses.

martyo
03-29-2010, 10:38 AM
I use Haggerty on my cars but the rates are a lot higher than yours. The dollar amount they are insured for is up from yours plus Michigan has a huge surcharge for unlimited medical coverage. If I got it right the T Bolt clone is around 800.00 a year.

John: You really should speak to the gal who does mine, she saved me a bundle.

bob6364
03-29-2010, 10:54 AM
Eastern CT ???

A 1969 Mustang

A Marauder?

Are you my Brother? I have a Brother in Southbury who has a Marauder and a 1969 Mach 1.

What a coincidence.

Bro its me...Mummy never told you but you have twin brothers ...now tell me the mustang is aculpoco blue hehe

Dragcity
03-29-2010, 11:14 AM
Bro its me...Mummy never told you but you have twin brothers ...now tell me the mustang is aculpoco blue hehe

Nope, not him....

Kelly Green, checked laquer ! Black interior with horizontal red striped seats.

His has a dual quad 427 side oiler in it form an old Fairlane. Appropriately equipped with a six point roll cage. And the ever so special 4 wheel drum brakes.

Too funny

Vortex
03-29-2010, 01:55 PM
For classic cars Hagerty's is the best IMHO.

johnnyrauder
03-29-2010, 02:03 PM
american modern ins. $500 12 mo. full coverage $20000 agreed value

johnnyrauder
03-29-2010, 02:04 PM
i can go 3000k mi per yr.

n3fvg
03-29-2010, 02:07 PM
I use Condon & Skelly in New Jersey, about $400 a year for my '71 GTX insured at their appraised value of $65,000.00
They have insured all my antiques over the years

I know we have tossed this around a few times before, but I request a refresher.....

I am tired of putting on and taking off and paying too much for auto insurance on my 65 t-bird. Swapping plates is getting old. I would like to just keep the thing on the road and insured year 'round.

I drive the old bird about 1,200 miles a year, not sure how many more years she has left in her in her current state..?

What is everone doing with their classics? How much ya'll paying on a 12 month policy? Liability coverage is a neccesity here in NY.

I ran through Hagerty for a quote. Just looking for some input form those in the know.

Here's looking forward to better weather coming our way.....

bob6364
03-29-2010, 02:08 PM
Nope, not him....

Kelly Green, checked laquer ! Black interior with horizontal red striped seats.

His has a dual quad 427 side oiler in it form an old Fairlane. Appropriately equipped with a six point roll cage. And the ever so special 4 wheel drum brakes.

Too funny

here is what it looked like when i rolled it out of the fellas garage with 59k original miles...it now has 64k and thats enough for me...
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t153/bob6364/Cobrajet/1969Mach1428cj.jpg

Vortex
03-29-2010, 02:24 PM
Nice Mustang, 69s and 70s were my favorites.

stevengerard
03-29-2010, 02:37 PM
its tough to compare quotes for cars from state to state. The cost of insurance varies greatly from state to state and even city to city. I was told MI is expensive because it is a "no fault" state. Here in Illinois since I am a mile from Chi-town my rates are high as well. I was going to check out haggerty as well but they do seem to be a bit restrictive but they are an "agreed upon value" so if you are realistic in the value, you can have your car insured for that amount. They have their own price guide too - you should see what my car is valued at - not worth it to me! I think I'll give Marty's contact a call they are close by and I do need to up the insurance now that I will be driving it again.

Dragcity
03-30-2010, 07:35 AM
Bob, that is one straight Mustang there. I'll try to find my old photos of my brother's.

He raced his A LOT !

Looks like I need to find a real value on the Thunderbird. It's not perfect by any strech, the thing is, it is all original body panels and floor boards with zero rust.

martyo
03-30-2010, 10:09 AM
american modern ins. $500 12 mo. full coverage $20000 agreed value

That is who I use and I get a discount due to teh size of my collection.

stevengerard
03-30-2010, 10:47 AM
Modern is who I use as well, and they will cover an MM if it has been modified. They do newer collector cars as well, such as a Ford GT, Porsche, Farrari etc. They do have mileage limits but they have a variety of choices IRC like 3k or 6k you just pay more for the more mileage

randyolson
04-27-2010, 04:59 AM
The Hartford does Classic car insurance (http://hartfordauto.thehartford.com/Insurance-Quote/classic-car-insurance.shtml) too, and they’re supposed to be quite good actually. A close friend has his classic insured with them for a fairly good “agreed value”. Don’t know exact details but this did come up in a conversation recently so I kinda remembered. Maybe you can explore that too.

Vortex
07-07-2010, 08:32 AM
This subject came up at our Cooper Car Show last month and we were discussing whether to keep our normal car insurance or to go with collector car insurance for our Marauders. Today I had time to spend on the phone and got me thinking. In my case, right now all my cars are insured with USAA and if you are not familiar with them they have a pretty good reputation and generally unbeatable in price. I called them today to get an idea of what the total payout would be if the car was totalled today. Man did I get the runaround. Nobody could give me an even ballpark answer. After going thru three people I finally got in touch with some supervisor who said when they do a total payout they check the local market to see what the value is (along with mileage/condition) as well as using other sources (NADA ect) I explained that with our cars there are wild differences in values and he did some search that showed within 500 miles of me some cars were on the market for 20k, others for 9k. A huge price spread. These were of course retail prices, not what an insurance company would pay out. Im sure they would gravitate towards the cheaper price and it would be a fight. You can bet the insurance company would base their payout on Grand Marquis or high mileage worn out Marauders. Anyway, then I called Hagerty. With an 18k agreed value and otherwise exact same coverage they were still cheaper than USAA. I dont want to post actual rates because Im sure for everyone it would be different but if you are planning on keeping the Marauder you might want to check into this for yourself.

knine
07-07-2010, 08:52 AM
John: You really should speak to the gal who does mine, she shaved me.
Fixed it for ya.

....just subscribing to this thread :D

martyo
07-07-2010, 09:11 AM
Fixed it for ya.

....just subscribing to this thread :D

Foo!!!!!!!

Vortex
07-16-2010, 08:57 PM
Made the switch from USAA to Hagerty today on my Marauder but had to explain to them why the Marauder was a "collector car". I got the impression they never heard of the car or had ever insured one. They ask about usage and clubs and stuff so I even told them to check this site out if they wanted to learn more about the car. In the end though, they beat USAA in price for the same coverage only now there is no deductable and if it gets totalled the payout would be waay different. Some of you guys might want to check them out.

thathotrodlincn
07-17-2010, 03:31 AM
When I insured my 1948 Lincoln Continental, I priced Hagerty and Grundy. I went with Grundy - better coverage, less restrictions. I have found them to be quite good on incident payment. Just an opinion.