PDA

View Full Version : resto project tips

Leadfoot281
03-30-2010, 07:52 PM
I'll be restoring a 1982 Honda 'Big Red' 200cc 3 wheeler this summer and was wondering if you guys had any tips for me. Mostly just how to organize everything. Use buckets, bags, tags or what?

This is going to be a frame off/ground up resto using as many original parts as possible. I have a local power coater that will handling most of the metal work (rims, racks, frame, wheels, miscellaneous parts).

As far as the powder coating goes, will the wheel/steering column bearings need to be removed prior to powder coating? These are still serviceable and I'd like to try and avoid wrecking/replacing good stuff. Some of this stuff is pretty expensive!

Also, I've already bought most of the parts I need but still have a few odds and ends left to get. If anyone has one of these sitting around, I'll buy whatever you've got.

I'd post pics but it's pretty rough. The pixels wouldn't stick to my camera.

FordNut
03-30-2010, 08:08 PM
Baggies for the bolts and screws, label with a sharpie. Make the labels detailed enough that you won't forget. Put the baggies and larger pieces that they go with in boxes so the subassemblies and the bolts are together.

PhastPhil
03-30-2010, 10:47 PM
Another good restoration idea is to take pictures of everything before you remove it so that you can use the pics later on during reassembly. Also, if you don't have one already, a good factory shop manual is a big plus.
Good luck with the resto, and post pics.

justbob
03-30-2010, 10:51 PM
I might still have my chiltons for the Honda 200 series three wheelers. I had a 200 S model myself (the poor man version) I'll look in my stack of other manuals tomorrow, if its there, it's your's if you want it.

2,4shofast
03-31-2010, 06:42 AM
Both are good tips, baggies and pictures always works well for me. Good luck, it sounds like a fun project!

Leadfoot281
03-31-2010, 11:19 AM
I might still have my chiltons for the Honda 200 series three wheelers. I had a 200 S model myself (the poor man version) I'll look in my stack of other manuals tomorrow, if its there, it's your's if you want it.

That would be very, very cool!

Thanks for all the tips guys. I appreciate it!

Right now I'm having new decals made for it by a company in Penn. They paid for shipping the old decals parts there, I then get my parts back along with new set of re-po decals.

I'll definately try and get some pics of it.

Leadfoot281
03-31-2010, 04:21 PM
Here's a few pics from last summer.

Disassembly is starting tomorrow. New plastics will be in on Friday. Fuel tank gets shipped out tomorrow and should be back within 5-7 days with new re-po graphics.

After that I need to find someone to re-spray the tank, pull out the dents, apply the new decals, and clear coat it.

Still not sure if I should go though the motor or not. The forks are fubar but those parts are still available.

ImpalaSlayer
03-31-2010, 04:31 PM
3 wheelers are so goofy looking. looks like a fun little project though. what is the purpose of the resto? just for fun?

Leadfoot281
03-31-2010, 07:33 PM
3 wheelers are so goofy looking. looks like a fun little project though. what is the purpose of the resto? just for fun?

Good question Dave. My Dad bought this brand new in 1982 for use on the farms. I was 11 and my brother was 9 so you can imagine how much fun we had blasting around our 980 acres with it. He sold it in 1998 to a neighbors kid for $150 and we never seen it again.

My brother and I were pretty disappointed about that especially since it was in near mint condition. Aside from some slightly faded paint it was perfect. The thing was 16 years old and the seat never even had one tear in it. It's had never been in snow, rain or mud. He replaced it with a John Deere Gator 6x4. I still have that. It's cool but very slow. It's handy for going out to the rifle range here on the farm but gets very little use otherwise.

Fast forward to 2007. My friend Brandon starts asking if he can bow hunt on my land. I have to tell him no because I've got too many people here already (I have 980 acres and all five bow hunters want to sit in the same tree. Go figure.).

One day last fall, I stopped by Brandons shop and he takes me out back. "I found something of yours and I want you to have it back". There sat Big Red! Then he says; "Can I bow hunt?". Lol! Needless to say I found a spot for him that season and came home with my Dads old 3 wheeler.

This June marks 10 years since my Dad died and I'd like to have project completed by then.

I have no real use for it at this point but I do plan on running over the neighbors kid (last owner) with it. :D

ImpalaSlayer
03-31-2010, 07:35 PM
thats awesome. figured it had to be some sort of family heirloom or something. good luck!

LeoVampire
03-31-2010, 09:03 PM
Good question Dave. My Dad bought this brand new in 1982 for use on the farms. I was 11 and my brother was 9 so you can imagine how much fun we had blasting around our 980 acres with it. He sold it in 1998 to a neighbors kid for $150 and we never seen it again.

My brother and I were pretty disappointed about that especially since it was in near mint condition. Aside from some slightly faded paint it was perfect. The thing was 16 years old and the seat never even had one tear in it. It's had never been in snow, rain or mud. He replaced it with a John Deere Gator 6x4. I still have that. It's cool but very slow. It's handy for going out to the rifle range here on the farm but gets very little use otherwise.

Fast forward to 2007. My friend Brandon starts asking if he can bow hunt on my land. I have to tell him no because I've got too many people here already (I have 980 acres and all five bow hunters want to sit in the same tree. Go figure.).

One day last fall, I stopped by Brandons shop and he takes me out back. "I found something of yours and I want you to have it back". There sat Big Red! Then he says; "Can I bow hunt?". Lol! Needless to say I found a spot for him that season and came home with my Dads old 3 wheeler.

This June marks 10 years since my Dad died and I'd like to have project completed by then.

I have no real use for it at this point but I do plan on running over the neighbors kid (last owner) with it. :D

And nice way to show honer to your Dad!

justbob
04-02-2010, 10:41 PM
Found it. PM me your addy and i'll get it out to you.
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn19/marauding4life/craigslist018.jpg

Paul T. Casey
04-03-2010, 02:08 PM
Notebook and pen is always handy, especially if you have to "learn" something for the re-install.

Paul T. Casey
04-03-2010, 02:10 PM
I have no real use for it at this point but I do plan on running over the neighbors kid (last owner) with it. :D This is cool

This June marks 10 years since my Dad died and I'd like to have project completed by then. This is the coolest

Leadfoot281
04-03-2010, 05:49 PM
Thanks Bob for the manual! I'm going to need it for a few things. Thanks everyone else for all the support!

I got started with it today and made some big progress. Currently it is basically completely disassembled. The engine, trans, final drive and rear axle are still on the frame.

Everything thing else has been sorted, bagged and labeled. The majority of it came apart with just a pair of 8mm and 10 mm sockets. Also used was a vice grip, needle nose plier, and a good old fashioned SAE BFH.

The Good; It's inside my shop and I found 30 yards of fishing line wrapped around the rear axel. The plastic is in and looks fantastic (for $380 it ought to).

The Bad; It's as bad as I thought it was. No happy surprises here. The forks look like they were packed with mud. The lowers are probably shot. The fork tubes have severe rust and pitting. The front brake drum is rusted to the axel. The tail pipe/spark arrester is rusted off. No M&M's, raisens, loose change, or cassette tapes were found under the seat.

At this point I might just as well go through the motor too.

It should be down to the frame by tonight or tomorrow. Then I need to get together a list for E-Bay, Honda, ect and round up everything else. Try to avoid bidding against Diesel379 on e-Bay for a while guys, ok? You won't win. Lol!

Still need rear decal set (not available) trunk lid and cargo hatch. If you have any of this, contact me.

Question. Is there any way to bring the aluminum bits back to life? The motor and case is pretty dull.

Leadfoot281
07-11-2010, 12:26 PM
Update!

Paint and powder coating is all done and the results have exceeded my expectations (and budget). After the frame was done I just couldn't stop myself and had even more stuff coated than I originally planned on. The picture doesn't show everything that I had coated since I had it done in batches.

The fuel tank turned out extremely well. The pictures don't do it justice. The shop said people were really commenting on it. That's neat when you consider the mind blowing muscle car restos this shop has on the floor (including a low milage, one owner '70 Buick GSX Stage 1 and several old Goats).

I had trouble locating pistons for it. They come in two styles, stock and full race 12-1 cr. Stock sizes (65mm) are available but after that, common oversizes were pretty scarce. In the end, I went with a cast 67mm, stock compression piston. Timing chain, both gears, and tensioners were also ordered. The bottom end was still tight after 28 years. The front drive sprocket, drive chain and rear sprocket had to be sourced from 3 different companies. No one carried a complete set. Go figure...

NOS mufflers are $185 so I welded a custom tail pipe onto my stock muffler then the whole exhaust was ceramic coated. I didn't save a dime. Lol! I never did find a shop to re-plate the Cadmium peices so they got wire wheeled, primed, and painted. I still hate myself for that. Eventually they will be plated even if I have to buy a kit and do it myself.
I should be wrapping it up this week. :beer: