PDA

View Full Version : Seafoam Instructions?

Egon Spengler
04-08-2010, 06:52 AM
Could someone please tell me where I can pick up see foam and how to use it? I tried the search function, but we all know how that goes! I have 103k on my stock marauder and would like description of products and detailed instructions on how to do this!

Thanks!:beer:

Paul T. Casey
04-08-2010, 07:43 AM
Head to O'Reilly's, Advance, ADAP or whichever is your parts store of choice. Buy 2 cans. One can, drain the same ammount of oil from your engine as the can holds, and pour it in. Do this about 1K miles or so prior to oil change. Other can, pour in your gas tank prior to fill up. I usually do this on the tank before the oil change as well, but don't think it hurts anytime you do it.

Paul T. Casey
04-08-2010, 07:46 AM
http://www.seafoamsales.com/how-to-use-sea-foam-motor-treatment.html

Link to thier site directly to the how to use page.

Egon Spengler
04-08-2010, 07:47 AM
It is that simple?
So just keep the seamfoam in the engine for around 1,000 miles?
Pour the other whole can into the gas tank?

Will I notice any power loss or engine running funny from having these additives in my gas and oil?

Head to O'Reilly's, Advance, ADAP or whichever is your parts store of choice. Buy 2 cans. One can, drain the same ammount of oil from your engine as the can holds, and pour it in. Do this about 1K miles or so prior to oil change. Other can, pour in your gas tank prior to fill up. I usually do this on the tank before the oil change as well, but don't think it hurts anytime you do it.

babbage
04-08-2010, 07:47 AM
Buy it at any parts store. Get car good and hot (full operating temp) by driving it around. Go to an isolated place - or your house.

While engine is running -- open can and remove brake booster or PCV hose. Let it suck in the seafoam, blip the throttle so it doesn't stall, when you get to last third of can, invert the can as to make the hose get a lot of seafoam - in such a way that the engine stalls out.

Key off. Wait 20 minutes by your wristwatch.

Start it up. Drive it like you stole it. There will be MEGA white smoke. After a few WOT runs it'll be all out of the the system.

Marauder Rick
04-08-2010, 08:01 AM
this stuff works great. i did my own vehicle and James' Marauder. Both of us noticed an IMMEDIATE difference. My engine was more quiet, my exhaust tone was louder, acceleration was smoother. this stuff works wonders. the only bad part is that the effects of it seem to dissipate after about 5kmi and you sorta get spoiled by that point so u gotta do it again. however, the can does say to retreat between 2 and 5kmi so i guess im due for a re-up.

Egon Spengler
04-08-2010, 08:12 AM
How did you go about doing this? I am looking for directions.

this stuff works great. i did my own vehicle and James' Marauder. Both of us noticed an IMMEDIATE difference. My engine was more quiet, my exhaust tone was louder, acceleration was smoother. this stuff works wonders. the only bad part is that the effects of it seem to dissipate after about 5kmi and you sorta get spoiled by that point so u gotta do it again. however, the can does say to retreat between 2 and 5kmi so i guess im due for a re-up.

Joe Walsh
04-08-2010, 08:15 AM
Here are 2 previous threads on the subject:

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=34630&highlight=seafoam

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=53125&highlight=seafoam

musclemerc
04-08-2010, 08:24 AM

Thats because you never really fixed the problem. The oil is getting sucked into the upper intake through the PCV system, so after you clean it, it just gets coated in oil again! ;) Can you say baffled catch can?

Egon Spengler
04-08-2010, 09:00 AM
So what is the harm if... has anyone had issues after its use? Seem to see wixed reviews about it!

Blk Mamba
04-08-2010, 09:27 AM
Another product from the '70s, was GM's TEC, (top engine cleaner), the only problem I've ever heard of when using this, (the suck in, pour in method), is that there is a chance that a piece of carbon, may break loose, from a valve, enter the cylinder, and cause detonation, or other problems. With that in mind, yes I have used both product's, and will continue to, another good product I've found and used on high mileage engines is, RX Engine "Restore".

Black Dynamite
04-08-2010, 09:27 AM
I've used it numerous times on numerous vehicles.

I've used it in the gas and in the oil on my MM with no negative effects. It does make it run a little smoother and have a bit more pep as it raises the octane a bit. I have never done it through the PCV on my MM as for the life of me I can't get the damn PCV seperated from the valve cover!

I usually go to a local farm supply store and buy a gallon of it at a time. It's definitely cheaper that way!

Phrog_gunner
04-08-2010, 09:33 AM
Octane does NOT increase performance. Just an FYI.

musclemerc
04-08-2010, 09:41 AM

I've used it in the gas and in the oil on my MM with no negative effects. It does make it run a little smoother and have a bit more pep as it raises the octane a bit. I have never done it through the PCV on my MM as for the life of me I can't get the damn PCV seperated from the valve cover!

I usually go to a local farm supply store and buy a gallon of it at a time. It's definitely cheaper that way!

The PCV screws in.

Black Dynamite
04-08-2010, 10:24 AM
Octane does NOT increase performance. Just an FYI.

No way man, when I added VTEC and and a Turbonator and started running race gas I was pulling 10 second runs bro.:D

Anyway, back to reality. You're right I should have clarified its placebo effect of added performance.

Phrog_gunner
04-08-2010, 10:35 AM
No way man, when I added VTEC and and a Turbonator and started running race gas I was pulling 10 second runs bro.:D

Anyway, back to reality. You're right I should have clarified its placebo effect of added performance.

I bet if we marketed VTEC in a can, we could sell it.

Cleaning the system out, depending on how bad it was in the first place, should increase the performance. I do not know (but I'd bet my 3d nut it doesn't) that Seafoam has any octane in it, regardless, octane just doesn't increase performance.

fastblackmerc
04-08-2010, 10:40 AM

Remove the brake booster hose, it's much easier.

fastblackmerc
04-08-2010, 10:40 AM
How did you go about doing this? I am looking for directions.

See above, post #5.

fastblackmerc
04-08-2010, 10:43 AM
So what is the harm if... has anyone had issues after its use? Seem to see wixed reviews about it!

I do it twice a year on my '04 MM, wife's '07 Charger R/T, son's '99 Ranger & 2000 Vette and daughters '05 RX8. Haven't had a problem yet.

Egon Spengler
04-08-2010, 10:47 AM
Received. Thank you.

See above, post #5.

Paul T. Casey
04-08-2010, 11:21 AM
Received. Thank you.

The Seafoam link also discusses this method.

Egon Spengler
04-08-2010, 11:32 AM
I saw that as well. Thank you Paul!

The Seafoam link also discusses this method.

LeoVampire
04-08-2010, 11:59 AM
I do not add any to the oil at all. I actualy use an entire can in the intake and let it suck it all down. I stick a tube inside of the PCV line after removing the pCV valve from it and stick it in the can.

Start it and let it suck it up and out.

The other can into the tank.

The rest you should already know by now from the others and the links to other posts.

I don't like anything going into the oil I keep that too well maintained as it is.

Address problems were they are a deffinate like the oil going into the intake. And injectors well keeping them clean is always a good idea just like the MAF.

Juice
04-08-2010, 05:48 PM
Here's a video of Seafoam results in my 97 TBird.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v624/JonesSoda/Car%20Stuff/th_8f8c72fb.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v624/JonesSoda/Car%20Stuff/?action=view&current=8f8c72fb.flv)

Egon Spengler
04-09-2010, 05:18 AM
Here's a video of Seafoam results in my 97 TBird.

My neighbors are going to hate me! haha

SMOKE
04-09-2010, 07:09 AM
LOLLLL!

I aimed the ass end of my car at the woods and it looked like a horror movie set in broad daylight. I went for a shakedown run on the road and STILL had that while smoke coming out just like that! Soooo funny...

Car will buck and stumble and want to die during the inhaling process so either keep your finger on the throttle linkage through the little thumb hole or have someone sit in the car with their foot lightly on the pedal to keep the R's up.....

Wait 20 minutes and call everyone you know to come see your Marauder do it's Space Shuttle liftoff impersonation!:D

Best,
Jonathan

Egon Spengler
04-09-2010, 07:14 AM
LOL! I can't wait! I will most likely be doing this alone so I will have to do the throttle from under the hood. I hope the fire department doesn't get called for smoke in the area! haha... I will have to do it in the town I am on the FD in and call them before I do it! haha... I have a camera too, so I might take a vid as well! TOO FUNNY!

LOLLLL!

I aimed the ass end of my car at the woods and it looked like a horror movie set in broad daylight. I went for a shakedown run on the road and STILL had that while smoke coming out just like that! Soooo funny...

Car will buck and stumble and want to die during the inhaling process so either keep your finger on the throttle linkage through the little thumb hole or have someone sit in the car with their foot lightly on the pedal to keep the R's up.....

Wait 20 minutes and call everyone you know to come see your Marauder do it's Space Shuttle liftoff impersonation!:D

Best,
Jonathan

Egon Spengler
04-11-2010, 12:30 PM
Guys, I took the hose off the PCV valve to pour in the seafoam and all it does is stall. How are your cars running when you disconnect this hose? I am just wondering if there is something wrong with my car! Am I doing something wrong?

Phrog_gunner
04-11-2010, 12:33 PM
Guys, I took the hose off the PCV valve to pour in the seafoam and all it does is stall. How are your cars running when you disconnect this hose? I am just wondering if there is something wrong with my car! Am I doing something wrong?

You have to manually manipulate the throttle to keep it running.

Juice
04-11-2010, 12:45 PM

Not necessarily. When I did it, I let the hose sip the liquid up very slowly and it never died.

Phrog_gunner
04-11-2010, 01:11 PM

Not necessarily. When I did it, I let the hose sip the liquid up very slowly and it never died.

Well I was trying to K.I.S.S. but at your request.

Option A (If you want to continue adding the same amount of seafoam):

Option B (If you don't want to manually manipulate the throttle to keep it running):

Add the seafoam slow enough that it does not stall.

That better sweetie? :P

ImpalaSlayer
04-11-2010, 01:18 PM
when i did the bronco, i just poured that **** in and i couldnt get it to stall.

Egon Spengler
04-11-2010, 06:51 PM
It stalls right when I disconnect the hose. I guess this is a 2 person job if I gotta flutter the throttle to keep her running! It really freaked me out because everyone makes it sound so easy and didn't warn me of the hissing sound it makes and that it will die before I even add the stuff!

Marauderjack
04-12-2010, 06:23 AM
They stock it in Wal-Mart now....almost $9.00 a can!!!:eek:

J-MAN
04-12-2010, 02:50 PM
$6.99 at Advance today.

Phrog_gunner
04-12-2010, 02:57 PM
It stalls right when I disconnect the hose. I guess this is a 2 person job if I gotta flutter the throttle to keep her running! It really freaked me out because everyone makes it sound so easy and didn't warn me of the hissing sound it makes and that it will die before I even add the stuff!

WARNING!!!! : the VACUUM lines make a VACUUM sound when they are disconnected. If you are a complete WUSS this may scare you.

WARNING!!!! : the engine is louder with the hood open than with the hood closed.

In all seriosity, though, just disconnect the hose at the brake booster and use that one. You are probably disconnecting a hose to a sensor that operates on a vacuum signal, so disconnecting that causes the sensor to stop sensing and the engine to stall.

4play
04-12-2010, 03:51 PM
just did mine today, sucked half the can through the pcv line. engine wanted to keep running after I shut it off. let it sit for 20 min drove the crap outta her after only a block just about all the smoke stopped. seems to rev a little quicker but havent noticed much yet..... I also did my neibours cavalier.. lol wow not that thing smoked like 3 times as bad as mine and still smokes a bit lol

Egon Spengler
04-12-2010, 06:14 PM
So why does mine stall out if 4play didn't have a problem?

babbage
04-12-2010, 06:23 PM
So why does mine stall out if 4play didn't have a problem?

disconnect the brake booster hose so that you can work the throttle at the same time as disconnect so it doesnt stall.

Kennyrauder
04-12-2010, 07:09 PM
I've been around a long time. Remember STP engine & oil additives? There is always someone out there that wants to sell snake oil. Do you really think that your engine will last longer with this stuff???? Just keep the engine oil clean,& run good gas. Do all the other preventive maintenance, ... that's all we can do. Save your Money!!!!!

Egon Spengler
04-12-2010, 07:22 PM
where is the brake booster? Where should I disconnect it from? Want to make sure I am pulling the correct hose off!:beer:

disconnect the brake booster hose so that you can work the throttle at the same time as disconnect so it doesnt stall.

Phrog_gunner
04-12-2010, 07:23 PM
where is the brake booster? Where should I disconnect it from? Want to make sure I am pulling the correct hose off!:beer:

The booster is the round black thing the brake master cylinder mounts up to. If I remember correctly that is the exact hose they use in the seafoam video.

4play
04-12-2010, 07:40 PM
my hose extender did not want to fit into the brake booster hose so i just unplugged the PCV line from that soft rubber that the Hard plastic line fits into and shoved a hose in there. car did want to stall but Gf kept on the gas a bit while she sucked her up. then My GF shut the car off and it still Ran lol until I plugged the hole with my finger to stop the vaccume leak then she quit... i went for another drive to wolly world do buy some Pink disposable razers and I noticed it did have more power I raced a dodge caravan and I beat him. plus it idles smother too