PDA

View Full Version : Today I am Taking Stella to the Rainbow Bridge...

martyo
04-09-2010, 01:43 AM
My oldest dog has to go to the Vet for the last time tomorrow and will not be coming home. She has been struggling for a while and this week just making it out of the house has become an unbearable chore for her and leaves her gasping for breath. It is not fair for her to have to go through this and it is time for her to move on.

Godspeed Stella. You have been a great companion. I will see you on the other side.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. Her bright eyes are intent. Her eager body quivers. Suddenly she begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, her legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown

http://www.legalknevil.com/albums/My-Dogs/abe.sized.jpg

http://www.legalknevil.com/albums/My-Dogs/aaz.sized.jpg

DTUB
04-09-2010, 02:05 AM
Labs are the best,,, Find another one Marty.

jabird56
04-09-2010, 02:41 AM
Marty,

I had this situation with my yellow lab Brandy back in 05, she made it to 14 1/2. That was a rough time. I knew what I had to do and went up to the vet that morning and made the LAST appointment for the day and paid the bill then, so that it was an in and out of the office that evening.

Brandy was the BEST dog I ever had.

A friend of mine sent me this passage. Hope it helps you as it helped me.

When I retire, I'll be getting another lab.

Jay

A Dog’s Plea

Treat me kindly, my beloved friend, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me things you would have me learn.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world’s sweetest music, as you must know from the fierce wagging of my tail whenever your footstep falls upon my waiting ear.

Please take me inside when it is cold and wet, for I am a domesticated animal, and no longer accustomed to bitter elements. I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the warm hearth.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst.

Feed me clean food that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life should your life be in danger.

And, my friend, when I am very old, and no longer enjoy good health, hearing and sight, do not make heroic efforts to keep me going. I am not having any fun. Please see that my trusting life is taken gently. I shall leave this earth knowing with my last breath I draw that my fate was always safest in your hands.

W.G. Corgill/1987

a_d_a_m
04-09-2010, 03:15 AM
Good luck, it's one of the hardest things I've ever done in my life, even though you know it's the right thing to do for the dog.

Couldn't read the rainbow bridge thing or the dog's plea, too sad for me and I'm about to go into work....

F8LBITEva
04-09-2010, 03:21 AM
Sorry to hear man. Seems like yesterday I had to put my boxer down but it's been over a year. I'll never forget lazy Daisy :(

Bluerauder
04-09-2010, 03:58 AM
Sorry to hear this Marty. :( I know that this was a very difficult decision for you. Soon Stella will be romping on the rainbow bridge.

Bradley G
04-09-2010, 04:02 AM
Prayers for Stella & Marty, you two make quite a pair!
There I read your poem, now I can't read the keys:bigcry:

fast dtr
04-09-2010, 04:09 AM
I know this is very hard on you I still miss my Annie she was 14 years old when I had to put her down 6 mouths ago my prays are with you.

MM03MOK
04-09-2010, 04:11 AM
Oh Marty! I know all too well. Know that Stanley has already staked out a lovely spot for them to romp around in together over the Rainbow Bridge.
:hug2:

Bigdogjim
04-09-2010, 04:58 AM
This a done out of pure love for Stella. May the trip be a safe and quick one.

Forever she will live in your heart!

Egon Spengler
04-09-2010, 05:12 AM
Sorry for your loss. I know how it feels. My dog was there through my childhood and it was hard letting him go. It was so tough to see him laying in my room the night before like it was just another day, not knowing that he was going to be gone tomorrow. Well hopefully our dogs are playing together now!

Here is Smitty! My childhood best friend!
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2598/238/62/562932925/n562932925_2247177_7823942.jpg

TooManyFords
04-09-2010, 05:45 AM
She will have a lot of friends waiting for him, Marty.

;)

ckadiddle
04-09-2010, 06:24 AM
Very very sorry to hear it Marty. We went through the same process not very long ago.

Stella was a beautiful girl. I can see her love and adoration for you in her eyes. I truly believe that our furry family members are basking in the warm gentle sunlight, waiting for us to join them.

Ms. Denmark
04-09-2010, 06:44 AM
Marty, you and Stella are in our prayers. Our beloved pets trust us to take care of them and to do what is best for them even when it breaks our hearts. Eric and I have Olivia, Natasha, Daphne, Jaime and Tallyho waiting for us across The Bridge. I fully expect to cry at least as many tears of joy as I have of sorrow when we're together again. Marty, hopefully knowing that so many others care will give you some small measure of comfort.

SMOKE
04-09-2010, 06:56 AM
Couldn't read the rainbow bridge thing or the dog's plea, too sad for me and I'm about to go into work....

Same here...those passages get me EVERY time - esp w/ tied to a post like this.

Be well Marty - never easy.

Best,
Jonathan

cougar9150
04-09-2010, 06:56 AM
My thoughts are with you, we just lost my 4 legged son and best friend for the last 12 years a few weeks ago. Home just isn't the same without Sorrow there following me around or waiting at the door for me.

He passed suddenly of a heart attack after a few months of treatment. It was difficult because he had been making such good progress since starting treatment in January. It was very sudden and traumatic for us.

Nothing can replace the empty spot in my heart that was left behind when he left us. I wish the best for you and yours during this hard time. I will have my wife light a candle for you.

Glenn
04-09-2010, 07:07 AM
We had to put our Jack Russell terrier down a year ago - very difficult to do after 16 years. But, it is a decision that all dog owners must face, but it is very difficult.

Glenn

Taemian
04-09-2010, 07:17 AM
So sorry to hear about what's to come, Martyo. But our Rough Collie, Satchy, will be waiting to play when Stella gets there.

Egon Spengler
04-09-2010, 07:31 AM
It is amazing how hard it is! My pup was put down over 8 years ago, but reading this thread and bringing back memories is making me tear up a bit! Definitely like losing a member of the family! Especially when they are with you for so long! Smitty lasted 13 years before we had to let him go.

Krytin
04-09-2010, 07:41 AM
Our prayers are with you and Stella.

:o

GAMike
04-09-2010, 08:53 AM
Rest in peace Stella, you beautiful girl. Be on the lookout for our families 4 legged family members at Rainbow Bridge, because they know your coming and are rolling out the Red Carpet for you and will show you/introduce ya around..... They will keep you company until Marty comes a calling one day.

Take stock in the great overall life she had Marty. I know you care for your animals like your cars........ What more could a dog ask for? Keep your chin up knowing that she knows this as well.

irish
04-09-2010, 09:00 AM
sorry Marty about Stella, but as a great dog lover myself, I've been through this process several times over the years & it never gets easier. My last dog Maggie, I found as a stray, & she was by my side for 17yrs. but then cancer took her from me & the hardest thing was taking her to the Vet, myself, to send her off ! I truly understand your burden, take care !

LeoVampire
04-09-2010, 12:46 PM
Yes they are our children & companions and weave their way into our hearts and souls each day they are in our lives.

They comfort us when we are sad and always know we need the Love when those times come around.

They cuddle up next to us when we are cold to keep us safe and warm.

They great us @ the door with so much excitment even when we have only been gone for a few minute's because they always miss us so much and no one ever greats us that way but our best friend!

They are always there when you wake up with a good moring greating and snuggle with wagging tails to let you know they are happy to be by your side for another day.

When we lose them it is like a part of us goes with them but the memories are many and it's hard to even remember if there were ever bad times with them around for they fill our hearts and souls with joy from the moment they are around us to the very end!

I feel for you Marty and even though I hope to never live through your loss I know after 13 years of having Molly and Franky that day is not so far away.

Stella will always be with you and as you wrote onne day you will see each other again!

:bigcry:

jgc61sr2002
04-09-2010, 02:58 PM
Marty - Very sorry.
Thinking of you and Stella.

thathotrodlincn
04-09-2010, 03:17 PM
I can say nothing that has not been said better by others. I grieve for you and your loss. You have by best wishes.

knine
04-09-2010, 03:22 PM
God bless you for the wonderful life you gave Stella.

guspech750
04-09-2010, 03:34 PM
I am sorry to hear this. I feel your pain. I did the same thing this past Nov with one of our 3 dogs and now my oldest dog is having issues that are not curable so he to will not be around much longer.

rayjay
04-09-2010, 04:15 PM
I'm very sorry to hear this Marty. I have had to do this too many times with our family members. I get elected everytime. Sometimes my wife goes, but usually its just me and its heart breaking. God speed Stella. RIP Gretchen, Duke, and TuTu.

SC Cheesehead
04-09-2010, 04:32 PM
So sorry to hear about what's to come, Martyo. But our Rough Collie, Satchy, will be waiting to play when Stella gets there.

Marty,

My heart goes out to you as well, but like Taemian said, she'll have some new friends waiting for her as she crosses that bridge, including my old buddy, Stout, our smooth coat B&T dachshund.

White Knuckles
04-09-2010, 06:05 PM
Stella was a sweet girl....sorry for your loss.

RF Overlord
04-09-2010, 06:19 PM
Marty, my heart goes out to you. I know from personal experience all too many times that making that decision is so very hard. Peace be with you.

PhastPhil
04-09-2010, 07:30 PM
Marty, you and Stella will be in my prayers. She will be at peace, and pain free.

One of my favorite quotes : I wish I was half the person my dog thinks I am.

Spectragod
04-09-2010, 07:57 PM
Marty,

You and your "kid" are in my prayers. I know how hard it is to go through this. It never gets any easier. They have unconditional love for us, as we should them, what you are doing is the greatest act of love you can do for a suffering animal.

She will be there for you on the other side, and will remain at your side for eternity, God bless you and your family, it is a rough time for you and them.

D-

Da Dark Jedi
04-09-2010, 11:17 PM
Sorry about your family member, Stella. Hope the best for you.

martyo
04-10-2010, 12:08 AM
Well Stella is gone but she will not be forgotten.

She was with me through so many phases of my life and she was a great companion through it all (even if she did not like the sound of the Marauder!).

Despite the fact that I still have Guapo and Reese here with me, the house has a certain emptiness that simply can not be filled.

I appreciate everyone on here allowing me to tell you all how I feel and I truly appreciate the outpouring of sympathy here, via PMs and especially the texts.

Thank you one and all!

http://www.legalknevil.com/albums/My-Dogs/ATlanta_26.jpg

Marauderjack
04-10-2010, 12:09 PM
So sorry Marty but don't worry.....my "Sandy" will show Stella around the Rainbow Bridge....he's been there almost a year now!! :depress:

Marauderjack :alone:

Pops
04-10-2010, 01:14 PM
Marty I just saw this thread. My heart is with you and Stella! Its best to stop her pai and send her to a better place. My God speed for her and you.

John:)