PDA

View Full Version : Consumer Reports says "Don't buy 2010 Lexus GX 460"

ctrlraven
04-13-2010, 07:42 PM
Not that anyone here would buy one but just passing it along :lol:

Consumer Reports has judged the 2010 Lexus GX 460 SUV a Don’t Buy: Safety Risk because of a problem we experienced during our standard emergency-handling tests. When pushed to its limits on our track’s handling course, the rear of the GX we bought slid out until the vehicle was almost sideways before the electronic stability control system was able to regain control.

We believe that in real-world driving, that situation could lead to a rollover accident, which could cause serious injury or death. We are not aware, however, of any such reports.

All four of our auto engineers who conduct the test experienced the problem in an exercise used to evaluate what’s called lift-off oversteer. In the test, as the vehicle is driven through a turn, the driver quickly lifts his foot off the accelerator pedal to see how the vehicle reacts.

We perform this evaluation on every vehicle we test, which includes the 95 SUVs in our current auto Ratings. No other SUV in recent years slid out as far as the GX 460, including the Toyota 4Runner, which shares the same platform as the GX.

To confirm our results, we paid for the use of another GX 460 from Lexus and experienced the same problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pswOGMx8Tzo
pswOGMx8Tzo

In real-world driving, lift-off oversteer could occur when a driver enters a highway’s exit ramp or drives through a sweeping turn and encounters an unexpected obstacle or suddenly finds that the turn is too tight for the vehicle’s speed. A natural impulse is to quickly lift off the accelerator pedal. If that were to happen in the GX, the rear could slide around far enough that a wheel could strike a curb or slide off the pavement.

Either of those scenarios can cause a vehicle to roll over. And because the GX is a tall SUV with a high center of gravity, our concern for rollover safety is heightened.

Like almost all current SUVs, the GX has standard ESC. That system is designed to prevent a vehicle from sliding out in a turn and has generally worked very effectively in the vehicles we’ve tested. It does that by applying individual brakes and cutting engine power to help keep the vehicle on its intended path. But the GX’s system doesn’t intervene quickly enough to stop the slide, and the rear end swings around too far.

As a result, we are urging consumers not to buy the GX 460 until the problem has been fixed. The GX 460 has been on sale for about three months and about 5,000 vehicles have been sold. We have notified Toyota, Lexus’ parent company, of the problem. We urge the company to develop a remedy as quickly as possible and implement it in new vehicles produced at the assembly plant and those already purchased.

In an e-mail response, Toyota spokesman Joe Tetherow said, “We’re concerned with the results of Consumer Reports testing on the Lexus GX 460 and their suggested buyer recommendation. Our engineers conducted similar tests during the development of the new GX and had no issues. However, we will try to duplicate the Consumer Reports’ test to determine if appropriate steps need to be taken. Please keep in mind that the 2010 GX 460 meets or exceeds all Federal Government test requirements. Customer safety and satisfaction remain our highest priorities. We take the Consumer Reports’ test results very seriously and appreciate them bringing it to our attention.”

We have also informed the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

The designation is rare for Consumer Reports; the last time we judged a vehicle’s performance not acceptable was with the 2001 Mitsubishi Montero Limited in the August 2001 issue of Consumer Reports magazine.

Current GX 460 owners: If you own a 2010 Lexus GX 460, we recommend exercising care when exiting the highway or traveling twisty roads. Obeying the speed limit and being alert for potential road hazards should limit the risk of experiencing a problem, like that recorded at the test track. We hope that Toyota can quickly develop a software update for the stability control system and update current models with revised programming.

Customers who have any questions or concerns can contact Lexus Customer Satisfaction at 1-800-255-3987.

SpartaPerformance
04-13-2010, 08:34 PM
I saw the videos on 3 different news channels today. Toyota engineers need to go back to school i guess. :)

bawazir
04-13-2010, 08:35 PM
Wow !

NYGarageQueen
04-13-2010, 09:32 PM
What is going on with Toyota. Really dropped the ball.

bawazir
04-13-2010, 09:59 PM
What is going on with Toyota. Really dropped the ball.

Before 1994 almost all Toyota car's parts are 100% Japanese made, Now they got almost 60% mexican parts on them, wich make car dance like pinata.

BAD MERC
04-13-2010, 10:23 PM
The last Toyota I owned was a 1992 Supra Turbo. I wish it was a targa but I was not that lucky. Toyota was good at making awe-inspiring performance cars and work-ready trucks that lasted 600,000 miles. Now they make simple 'point A to point B' appliances and yawn-fest generic sedans for people that don't like cars. I see a failing giant that tripped on it's own shoelaces and fell face-first into s h i t. I see Toyota ads everywhere explaining why "generic people in diverse groups" will make their next car a Toyota. Spend that money in R & D Toyota instead of trying to convince millions of people that you don't suck.

RF Overlord
04-14-2010, 05:09 AM
^^^what Bad Merc said^^^ Every word. (well, except the part about owning a Supra...I didn't)

NYGarageQueen
04-14-2010, 06:31 AM
I had a 88 Toyota 4wd pickup a few years back. That thing ran strong, and got us places especially on the dirt. Those trucks were built to last a long time, they were good trucks.

Now I went American and have a lifted Blazer, no complaints either!

Marauderjack
04-14-2010, 06:39 AM
Free set of "Training Wheels" with every Lexus GX 460....DUH!!!:shake:

Egon Spengler
04-14-2010, 06:44 AM
I love the commercials with the salemen thanking consumers for standing by them! I LOL when I see these commercials... The consumers in the ad saying they stand by Toyota and just bought a new Toyota... YOU GUYS ARE IDIOTS!!! haha... And you salesmen better be thanking them, otherwise you will be out of a job because you are standing behind s***.

Upswing for american automotive manufacturers? Lets hope so! I will only buy a Ford as of right now! Looking into getting a crown vic for a DD and putting a marauder rear end in it because I need the posi for the snow traction!

Vortex
04-14-2010, 07:33 AM
Consumer Reports is rag written by old ninnys. I dont believe anything they put in print.

bawazir
04-14-2010, 07:34 AM
Lexus is350 is the only good car they make

Cobra25
04-14-2010, 10:26 AM
We have a 2007 Lexus GX470 for over 3 years now which is the older model of the GX460 which was re designed by Lexus this year. Our's runs great, handles great and we have had no problems with it in over 3 years & 25000 miles. The new ones are different in some ways which we don't like. It is a heavy truck for it's size at 5300 lbs approx. The issue they are having now with the new ones is with the stalibily control . Their are many SUV's & trucks out their now that are heavy and sit high with the same simular issue's but adjustments have been make to improve the stalibily of the vehicial.

Motorhead350
04-14-2010, 12:08 PM
TNow they make simple 'point A to point B' appliances and yawn-fest generic sedans for people that don't like cars.

I couldn't have said it any better.

I do like the style of their trucks, but not enough where I'd take one over an American one.

SpartaPerformance
04-14-2010, 06:23 PM
.... Now they make simple 'point A to point B' appliances and yawn-fest generic sedans for people that don't like cars.....

AMEN!!!

I love the commercials with the salemen thanking consumers for standing by them! I LOL when I see these commercials... The consumers in the ad saying they stand by Toyota and just bought a new Toyota... YOU GUYS ARE IDIOTS!!! haha...

+1 When Toyota has no idea what the real problem is in the runaway cars and said they don't care to find out it's cheaper to pay lawsuits why would people buy their cars???? Even if it's 1 out of 1,000 why buy a car when there is a chance that you and worse your kids can become a statistic??

Big Black Beast
04-14-2010, 08:43 PM
I have nothing against Toyota personally, though I've never owned one. All the major auto manufacturers have had their highs and lows. I think they have gotten too big and complacent and cut corners trying to get to #1. Now it's biting them in the butt.
I just wish that more people would stop being blindly loyal to them and at least test drive a new Ford first. I wouuld take anything in the current Ford, Mercury, or Lincoln lineup over it's Toyota counterpart. Every review I've read, the Fusion runs circles around the Prius and Camry hybrids, but people buy them because they're Toyotas. The crappy American cars of the '80's and '90's left a stigma that no longer applies today. Current Fords now equal or beat Toyota (and most of the others) in quality and reliability. Plus, they are way more interesting and innovative than their Toyota counterparts.

Joe Walsh
04-16-2010, 05:24 AM
The news media has finally figured out that reporting Toyota's problems and recalls is good for business because so many sheep now own those turds.

Front page news! (header banner...no less.)

http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae326/JoeJWalsh/IMG_1408.jpg

As the McDonald's ad says: "I'm lovin' it!"

Here is how the Toyota....errr....LEXUS service departments will handle it:

"Mrs. Dipwad we fixed your Lexus, it just needed an adjustment on the fratzit valve."
"OH Thank You! I was wondering why it almost tipped over yesterday!"
"The fratzit valve wasn't the main cause Mrs. Dipwad...you should never brake and turn sharply at the same time in ANY vehicle!"
"I didn't know that! Thank you for letting me know not to do that anymore. It scared the dickens out of me when it went up on 2 wheels! I was worried because everyone we spoke with, had highly recommended we buy a Lexus."
"You can never go wrong when you buy a LEXUS Mrs Dipwad! Now Mrs Dipwad, that'll be $875 because the fratzit valve does not normally need to be adjusted and it is not covered under your expansive Lexus warranty."
"Oh...that seems a little steep, doesn't it?"
"Well when you take you and your family's safety into consideration, is 875 dollars really that important?"
"No! Of course not! Why thank you for making sure my Lexus is in tip top shape."
"I hope that you enjoyed your complimentary Danish and Latte while watching the Ellen Degeneris show in our A/C'd waiting lounge...
was the leather couch comfortable?"
"Yes! I truly enjoyed my service visit...Thank you so much!"
"You're welcome!...just see the cashier on your way out and she wil take care of everything else. Have a great day Mrs. Dipwad!"

Joe Walsh
04-16-2010, 05:27 AM
Consumer Reports is rag written by old ninnys. I dont believe anything they put in print.

I couldn't agree more!

Buying a car based on a Consumer Reports review is like buying a refrigerator based on a Car&Driver review.

BUT:

Most Toyota/Lexus/Honda buyers view cars as 'roadgoing appliances' and would very much base their decision on a Consumer Reports review.