PDA

View Full Version : Ford to Chevy, but Chevy to Ford?

Motorhead350
04-16-2010, 07:42 AM
I have come across another transmission issue with my K5. It needs new clutches again. I am so fed up with this thing that I decided to park it, disconnect the battery and forget about putting any time or money into it for a while. Here is what I want to know: Is there any way to put a Ford transmission on to a Chevy 350 engine?

I know of a few Ford Mustangs with Ford engines, backed by Chevy transmissions. I believe there is a conversion kit to make it work, but is there one that goes from Chevy to Ford?

The reason I am thinking about this is because Ford quality has always seemed to be better than Chevy. If I can get Ford transmission in it, I won't be worried everytime I hit the road or decide to tow something.

If you know anything about this please mention how I can get it to work and what transmission would be best. Keep in mind it'll need to be a 4 speed with work with 4x4.

Paul T. Casey
04-16-2010, 07:55 AM
Take some driving lessons first. It is my belief that the issue is not a Ford/Chevy thing, but a technique thing from the operator.

Egon Spengler
04-16-2010, 08:03 AM
"You get what you give"

Take some driving lessons first. It is my belief that the issue is not a Ford/Chevy thing, but a technique thing from the operator.

justbob
04-16-2010, 08:05 AM
https://www.vermontsecure.com/cart.asp?cID=79&AddItem=1&Sku=%2356AOD.&ProductName=Adapter+to+Install +For+AOD+on+Chevy+Small+Block+ Motor&PriceEach=545&Qty=1&Submit=Add+to+Cart
Plus new cross member, linkage, speedo, ford transfer case, Transfer case cross member, Reworked shifter, and two custom driveshafts. Anythings possible, especially in the 4x4 world.

Motorhead350
04-16-2010, 08:36 AM
https://www.vermontsecure.com/cart.asp?cID=79&AddItem=1&Sku=%2356AOD.&ProductName=Adapter+to+Install +For+AOD+on+Chevy+Small+Block+ Motor&PriceEach=545&Qty=1&Submit=Add+to+Cart
Plus new cross member, linkage, speedo, ford transfer case, Transfer case cross member, Reworked shifter, and two custom driveshafts. Anythings possible, especially in the 4x4 world.

Super. So exactly is in that link? This computer won't open the whole thing. Just the 500 and some dollar price.

Paul, believe me, it's a "Chevy" thing. :(

justbob
04-16-2010, 09:12 AM
A little more than half way down the page. Look for #56AOD http://www.transmissioncenter.net/aod.htm

blazen71
04-16-2010, 09:43 AM
Put a chevy truck 4-speed in it. Lots of parts in the junkyard to do the swap. You'll never have to worry about the trans again.

Motorhead350
04-16-2010, 01:50 PM
Put a chevy truck 4-speed in it. Lots of parts in the junkyard to do the swap. You'll never have to worry about the trans again.

I've gone through 9 of them. I have had enough of the TH700R4's.

DOOM
04-16-2010, 01:58 PM
"You get what you give"

THATS WHAT SHE SAID!!! :razz:

1 Bad Merc
04-16-2010, 02:32 PM
IF you have gone thru 9 transmissions then I definitely think you have more problems then a transmission. I would check the frame and make sure it is not tweeked, check the driveshafts, check their angles, look at the trans and see if the crossmember is bent, check your motor mounts, etc., etc. Something sounds like it is not lined up right and it is off center and you are just blowing through trans.

I had a problem on my dad's 64 chevy because the rearend was not sitting correctly and I kept burning up the center bearing were the drive shafts go together.

This could be the reason why you got this truck....:eek: You might want to put a new trans in it and sell it. Go find another one.

Motorhead350
04-16-2010, 02:44 PM
My family had it for 20 years, it's not going anywhere. Just found out a motormount was bad. That was replaced. The transfer case is shot and caused oil to leak outta the tranny which cost me the clutches. So now I need a new set of clutches (rebuilt) and a transfer case. If everything is new it'll be $1,000 in parts alone. To do the Ford conversion sounds like 2 or 3 times that amount.

This truck is going to sit. This sucks!

LeoVampire
04-16-2010, 02:47 PM
So when your 4 wheeling the axles are moving the drive shats into angles that are putting too much pressure on the transfer case and tranny.

That is what it sounds like anyways.

Motorhead350
04-16-2010, 02:58 PM
I was told a busted motor mount is to blame. The engine would move at high revs and the transfer case would stay. So I warped it and cracked it. Causing the oil to leak out and cost a tranny. This is the most recent one.

LeoVampire
04-16-2010, 03:07 PM
I was told a busted motor mount is to blame. The engine would move at high revs and the transfer case would stay. So I warped it and cracked it. Causing the oil to leak out and cost a tranny. This is the most recent one.

Okay that is this time what about all the others you replaced you talked about?

blazen71
04-16-2010, 03:56 PM
I meant a manual 4-speed

Motorhead350
04-19-2010, 09:59 AM
Okay that is this time what about all the others you replaced you talked about?

I bet it was the problem all these years and everyone just milked me for money.

LeoVampire
04-19-2010, 11:41 AM
I bet it was the problem all these years and everyone just milked me for money.

Have some adjustable arms made to control the axles in a way where they can not tweek the drive shafts to the point of putting too mcuh pressure on the transfer case and tranny.

I actualy learned that watching the 4x4 show on the speed channel and Discovery channel when they are making their own off roaders.

Never played with them personaly but I learned a lot from that show they air.