PDA

View Full Version : decent paint gun help?

ImpalaSlayer
04-16-2010, 07:41 PM
any auto body guys in here? im looking to purchase a decent gravity feed HVLP gun for 150-200ish. the one i have now is a cheapy and i feel its hindering my potential. any help would be good, thanks

LeoVampire
04-16-2010, 07:49 PM
he is an auto body guy in Mass

Rocknthehawk
04-16-2010, 08:13 PM
What are you spraying Dave?

You can get a decent FinishLine Pro gun setup in the $200 range. It's made by Devilbiss. I got a set a couple years ago, and it's worked well when I do use it. I've used a lot of SATA guns, and they were real nice to spray with.

My favorite gun I've ever used is the Sharpe T1 Titanium. They go for about half of what they were when they first came out. It had a beautiful feel to it, real nice to hold and weighted perfectly. It flows beautiful....I used it for clear. When you open it up, it's got a massive fan and great coverage.

What you're spraying will really determine what gun is right for you. Most guys have dedicated guns for primer, base, and clear. The Finishline setup I have includes two guns and a couple different tips.

ImpalaSlayer
04-17-2010, 07:06 AM
well id like to be able to spray just about everything. i do alot of single stage stuff but i also do the primer/base/clear. im trying to finish up this bumper and hood for a friend and the paint isnt laying right no matter what i try.

justbob
04-17-2010, 07:30 AM
I also bought the one Rocknthehawk has. Super nice consistant spray for the money and it all stores together in one case.

SILVERSURFER03
04-17-2010, 07:34 AM
i have a spider PAINT GUN but as for even spraying ... it kinda SHOOTS the paint haha

ImpalaSlayer
04-17-2010, 07:36 AM
would this be it?

http://www.eastwood.com/devilbiss-auto-paint-and-priming-system.html

breeze
04-17-2010, 07:37 AM
i have a spider PAINT GUN but as for even spraying ... it kinda SHOOTS the paint haha

does it go like this :uzi:..:D

justbob
04-17-2010, 07:45 AM
would this be it?

http://www.eastwood.com/devilbiss-auto-paint-and-priming-system.html
Bingo. I see the price has dropped since I bought mine last year. Just make sure you get a fairly decent water seperator. I bought mine from Harbour freight for like $30.00.

ImpalaSlayer
04-17-2010, 07:47 AM
Bingo. I see the price has dropped since I bought mine last year.

thats why i wasnt sure if that was it or not. guess ill pick one of these up for now. they have some guns for like 500 bucks! :eek: thanks guys

justbob
04-17-2010, 07:50 AM
It's entry level no doupt, but my paint buddy used these at my house and couldn't believe how well they shot. The air pressure required is redicously low so make sure you cut it down.

ImpalaSlayer
04-17-2010, 07:51 AM
It's entry level no doupt, but my paint buddy used these at my house and couldn't believe how well they shot. The air pressure required is redicously low so make sure you cut it down.

10-4. it was allgoing good till i got to the color :(

SILVERSURFER03
04-17-2010, 07:51 AM
does it go like this :uzi:..:D

yep just like that B

Rocknthehawk
04-17-2010, 10:19 AM
lol the t1 titanium was $700 when it was new....

there's another finishline kit one up from that....i haven't looked at what the differences are. I like it...for the price its pretty good.

illwood
04-17-2010, 01:44 PM
What are you spraying Dave?

You can get a decent FinishLine Pro gun setup in the $200 range. It's made by Devilbiss.
+1 on the FinishLine by Devilbiss. I've got one and they are a good HVLP for reasonable money. Maybe not production quality, but I don't shoot production.

Drewstang
04-18-2010, 08:06 AM
I miss my Sata Jet 3000. It was easy to clean, laid down base and clear with ease, and was converted to use the 3M cups and liners.

ImpalaSlayer
04-18-2010, 10:52 AM
lol the t1 titanium was $700 when it was new....

there's another finishline kit one up from that....i haven't looked at what the differences are. I like it...for the price its pretty good.
can you find the one up from that? i cant seem too

Rocknthehawk
04-18-2010, 01:11 PM
I miss my Sata Jet 3000. It was easy to clean, laid down base and clear with ease, and was converted to use the 3M cups and liners.

Those cups are a million times better than cleaning a can. I like the 3m cups....the dekups are nice, but they're a little harder to clip in.

dave, scroll down and check out the setups:

http://www.tcpglobal.com/spraygundepot/devmstrkit.aspx

ImpalaSlayer
04-18-2010, 01:15 PM
thanks Aaron. i was reading those cups let you spray upside down? that would be great for the bellys of jets