PDA

View Full Version : Just an update on the Donster

Donny Carlson
04-16-2010, 08:45 PM
I've been low profile for awhile, and thought I'd let some of you know what's going on with me.

I was back in the hospital last week after a rough patch or two, some chest pain and discomfort that really should have put me in the emergency room, but moi has a strong dislike of ambulance rides in the middle of the night, and the docs at the ER manage to produce truly amazing invoices that my health insurance doesn't cover as well as it does other things.

I had another cardiac cath and my doctor found -7- yes -7- new blockages. That's in addition to two in major arteries that were only 30 and 40 percent. I was concerned my stents or a stent had collapsed or reclogged with a blood clot, but they were open. That was the good news.

The bad news is the newly found blockages are in arteries downstream that are too small to stent. Stents in these small arteries will cause more damage than they fix, are likely to plug with clots, and inevitably collapse. No stents, no instant fix.

My cardiologist has me on Renexa now, which helps the heart process oxygen more efficiently, so it helps prevent pain from happening when heart muscle isn't getting enough O2. The upside, other than not having to deal with the pain, is that eventually these small arteries will develop new pathways around the blockages, and as long as I am a good boy, watch my diet and take my chorestoral meds, I should be fine.

So far it's working and I've been pretty much pain free. I sleep better now that I'm not awakened with chest pain (btw, the limit on Nitro tabs is 3 per day, and when you take #3 your supposed to do it after you call 911. I had a spell where the pain got so severe and wouldn't abate and I took 10 tabs over a 90 minute span. My doc was pretty cheesed when I told him about it).

Looks like I will survive to attend more C&O's and amuse you with my witty posts.

It was a good day today, the weather was great, I put new shoes on my SRT Challenger, washed and detailed her, and had a spirited and very theraputic drive. Gearhead life can be good, no?

LeoVampire
04-16-2010, 08:50 PM
How the hell can you deal with that much angina and not go into the ER sooner?

Don't get me wrong I am glad your feeling better but you did take a big risk of a heart attack.

Mr. Man
04-16-2010, 09:54 PM
Er's are the pits but I'm glad they are there. Hope you have a speedy recovery.

Pat
04-17-2010, 04:59 AM
Pray the best for you Donny. Glad to hear the meds are having a posititve effect.

Regards,

Pat

FordNut
04-17-2010, 05:25 AM
So much nitro, one wrong step and BOOM. J/K

Glad you're doing better.

LIGHTNIN1
04-17-2010, 05:58 AM
You have really been through the wringer. Thanks for describing your condition as it could help some of the rest of on this forum if we have similar conditions. Keep us informed how you are doing and I wish you all the best from here forward.

MM03MOK
04-17-2010, 05:59 AM
Dear The Donstah (remembah, I'm from Bahstun)

No more Flirting with Disastah! We want you around for a L O N G time to come!!

It sucks that insurance costs due factor into our medical care!!

Bunny

Ms. Denmark
04-17-2010, 06:37 AM
Just to let you know that we'll be thinking of you and wishing you nothing but the best as you grow stronger and healthier each day. :)

TooManyFords
04-17-2010, 06:44 AM
Good to hear you're still with us, Donny. I would ask how you've been but the update tells the story. Now tell us what your plans are for this summer. Maybe we can get together and talk old times over iced-tea and chef salads.

Cheers!

John

Mr. Man
04-17-2010, 09:56 AM
Good to hear you're still with us, Donny. I would ask how you've been but the update tells the story. Now tell us what your plans are for this summer. Maybe we can get together and talk old times over unsweetened iced-tea and garden salads.

Cheers!

JohnFixed it for you to much cholesterol in a chefs salad;)

TAKEDOWN
04-17-2010, 10:16 AM
0oo... ScArY! Glad to hear you're still with us. Do us and yourself a favor and stick around for a very looooong time. Hope to meet you one day at a MARAUDER meet!

Glenn
04-17-2010, 10:33 AM
Good to hear from you Donnie - hope you continue to get well. We'll see you at a C&O soon.

Glenn

White Knuckles
04-17-2010, 11:31 AM
I was wondering when you didn't show up at C&O.....I thought sumthin may be up. Glad you got looked at and have new orders-----now stick with the Plan!!
Hope to see you soon.

GAMike
04-18-2010, 09:41 AM
I was wondering when you didn't show up at C&O.....I thought sumthin may be up. Glad you got looked at and have new orders-----now stick with the Plan!!
Hope to see you soon.

What George said! Day by day Mr. Carlson........Day by day. Next breakfast will be the same day as Marty's Open House and the Metco Motorsport Open House Fyi...:burnout:

Paul T. Casey
04-19-2010, 06:29 AM
Wow. Glad you are on the way to being alright again. George and I were commenting on why we didn't see you at the C&O thing. You confirmed our fears. Now get down to the business of getting well, and it's been awhile since I've got any Donnymods updates. Take care my friend, and you're still in my prayers.

Donny Carlson
04-19-2010, 06:16 PM
I expect to be at C&O for May 2nd. I'm feeling fine, and look forward to seeing my buds. Thanks guys.

Pops
04-19-2010, 06:22 PM
Just saw this Donny! Take care of yourself. I understand the emergency room part of your post. Hope to see you in Atlanta this fall!

John

martyo
04-19-2010, 06:37 PM
Donny when you are feeling well enough, come visit!!