PDA

View Full Version : Ammo shortage continues... :(

Vortex
04-18-2010, 08:34 AM
I don't know about anywhere else but its darn near impossible in Dallas to find any .32 auto, .380 or .357 ammunition anywhere. I usually get my ammo at Academy Sports or at Wal-Mart but they havent had this stuff forever. BassPro doesnt have it either. I could go to the gun show for reloads I know but Id prefer new pistol ammo for certain calibers. There is one small gun shop near me that has off brand stuff (probably Russian or Chinese) and they want waay too much for it. I usually use Winchester or Remington ammo (same company now I guess) and this situation is going on forever. I used to think it was a hoarding issue but its been well over a year now so I dont think thats the problem. Also, there is no problem with larger stuff like .44 mag or .45 or any rifle/shotgun ammo, or .22 ammo either. Just the stuff between .32 and .357 mag. No answer really, just wanted to vent.

greggash
04-18-2010, 08:45 AM
380 is just barely coming back..and expensive

32..is appearing at gun shows

38/357..I make my own, but they are out there

Just the price of the components to reload has risen dramatically

Phrog_gunner
04-18-2010, 09:27 AM
The only ammo I bought recently was .38 special for my mom and Bass pro shops seemed to have plenty of everything there, even though I admittedly wasn't really looking. This was in GA fwiw.

Marauderjack
04-18-2010, 09:40 AM
Gun dealers around here have cut a deal with Wal-Mart and buy all they get of certain calibers RIGHT OFF THE TRUCK!!!!:mad2::argue:

Try www.ammoengine.com

Prices and availability change daily but I've had really good luck with all of the vendors I've used!!:beer:

Good Luck and STOCK UP!!!:eek:

Green96
04-18-2010, 09:52 AM
If you have a Rural King in the area, they get some in occasionally. I do not know if they have any stores outside the mid-west. If you have one, a lot of people forget about them as a source of ammo and you can pick up some hard to find stuff. As far as off brand goes, you need to define off brand. I use PMC with no problems at all. Some would consider it an off brand, but it has been great for me. I personally stay away from any of the Russian stuff (Wolf, Bear...) or anything else that uses steel cases. If you don't mind waiting Midway USA will let you back order a lot of things. As long and you buy a lot at one time the shipping is not that bad spread across a large order. Just make sure you check the box for them to wait and ship everything at once.

scoutrjp
04-18-2010, 10:02 AM
Try Cheaper then dirt.com

PurdueRifleman
04-18-2010, 11:09 AM
After the crap CTD pulled during the Obama scare, I refuse to patronize them anymore.

As another poster stated, try using ammo engine. It's a great tool for finding just about anything.

Or you could move to Southern Indiana or Kentucky since we don't have these shortages!:cool4: Heck, I saw 5.7x28, of all things, for $20/box at Acme Sports yesterday!

FordNut
04-18-2010, 01:11 PM
I'm still seeing shortages in certain types. Some calibers I can find FMJ/ball ammo but no JHP, a few calibers I can't find anything, but at least I'm able to get decent .45 ammo. The ammo shortages that started with Obama's election influenced my decision to get a gun of just about every size so whatever ammo I can find, I can shoot.

kernie
04-18-2010, 01:13 PM
I think things are a little different here in canada, other than long gun hunters who i really dont know, i dont think i know anyone who owns a gun!

Fear the mighty american military machine? Naw, i think i fear you guys, he he.

FordNut
04-18-2010, 01:24 PM
I think things are a little different here in canada, other than long gun hunters who i really dont know, i dont think i know anyone who owns a gun!

Fear the mighty american military machine? Naw, i think i fear you guys, he he.

As it should be!

Leadfoot281
04-18-2010, 03:47 PM
As it should be!

Ditto!

An unarmed man is a subject. An armed man is a citizen. ;)

Drewstang
04-18-2010, 08:07 PM
After the crap CTD pulled during the Obama scare, I refuse to patronize them anymore.

As another poster stated, try using ammo engine. It's a great tool for finding just about anything.

Or you could move to Southern Indiana or Kentucky since we don't have these shortages!:cool4: Heck, I saw 5.7x28, of all things, for $20/box at Acme Sports yesterday!
Ditto. I can buy .357/44 mag at Walmart all day long. We have a big gun show here nearly every month, and I live 6 miles from Knob Creek Gun range. I've got 1700 .223/5.56mm rounds stored up that I know of. I'm running low on 9mm and .22 but thats an easy find. I don't keep much .357 on hand because my only .357 is a single action and my Glock is much handier than the revolver.

jabird56
04-19-2010, 03:02 AM
Cabelas online: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/subcategory/subcategory.jsp?id=cat20726&navCount=0&parentId=cat20712&navAction=jump
BassPro online: http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchResults?hvarSearchString =ammunition&searchOption=products&x=0&y=0&storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&CMID=TOP_SEARCH_GO
Natchez online: http://www.natchezss.com/ammo.cfm?category=3
Cheaper Than Dirt online: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/CategoryListing.aspx?catid=78&PN=hga

FordNut
04-19-2010, 05:15 AM
....223/5.56mm rounds stored up that I know of...

I'd like to find a supply of Mk262 ammo at a decent price... 77gr SMK @ 5.56 load. .223 loads are easy to find, maybe in 68, 69, or 75 gr but it's really hard to find NATO pressure loads. Some .223's can't use the mil-spec loads but the mini-14 can use either .223 or 5.56 loads.

Vortex
04-19-2010, 07:30 AM
Never considered (until now) ordering ammo online.

Black Dynamite
04-19-2010, 08:35 AM
Never considered (until now) ordering ammo online.

I've had to resort to it. I've bought ammo off of gunbroker before as well. Ammo is hard to come by here and if I do find it it's well overpriced. I haven't shot my .40 in over a year because of it!:eek:

Go2GuyFL
04-20-2010, 07:20 AM
The Sportsman's Guide http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/browse/BrowseAmmoIndex.aspx is usually cheaper than both Cabela's and CTD. As others mentioned I've made purchases from Natchezz, GunBroker.com, GunsAmerica.com and http://www.emergencyresources.com/firearm.html.