PDA

View Full Version : Where should I exchange currency?

Motorhead350
04-20-2010, 01:34 PM
London is just a month away. I want to know if I should get their currency here, should I bring US cash to the UK and exchange it there, or should I put my money on a debit card use it or use their ATMs with my card?

:confused:

Rocknthehawk
04-20-2010, 01:37 PM
A few tips from when I was in london for Guinness....

Let your bank know, my mother had her card shut off when the bank saw purchases overseas.

Do NOT bring the coins back, and expect to cash them in. I doubt it's changed....when I went, and came back and tried to exchange my pounds and euro's....they wouldn't take the coins, only the bills.

gdsqdcr
04-20-2010, 01:40 PM
I just got back from Singapore. Don't bring coins ... useless.

I exchanged money in the airport. They have money exchangers all of the place in international terminals. I don't know what is like in Europe, but in Singapore, I still had US currency because sometimes that was worth more.

Anthony

Rocknthehawk
04-20-2010, 01:45 PM
I just got back from Singapore. Don't bring coins ... useless.

I exchanged money in the airport. They have money exchangers all of the place in international terminals. I don't know what is like in Europe, but in Singapore, I still had US currency because sometimes that was worth more.

Anthony

Yeah on both ends, here, and in the terminal and heathrow they had machines to exchange currency. Like gdsqdcr said, don't exchange ALL your money.

RF Overlord
04-20-2010, 02:45 PM
Dom, are you flying into Heathrow or Gatwick?

Exchange a small amount...say $100... before you go; you'll need cabfare or change for the Tube and something to eat before you get settled. There are currency exchange bureaux all over greater London, so don't do a large amount at once as you'll lose value changing it back to American money if you don't spend it all.

Honestly, the best way is to buy traveller's checks in pounds sterling and cash those as needed. If they get lost or stolen, you're covered.

Also, be prepared for sticker shock...if the pound and the dollar were equal, it wouldn't be bad, but the exchange rate makes things really expensive.

ddogg626
04-20-2010, 04:22 PM
Go to American Express and order travelers checks. Do not use place at the airport for their rate sucks. Use Thomas Cook or order the currency thru your bank. ATM is a no no no on a debit card, exchange rates suck and fees a way high. Call your Credit Card company and given on a few factors they may lock in a rate for you for 2 weeks or so. Also is somebody steals your card info it takes a lot longer to get funds back on a debit card vs a credit card. I bank w B.O.A for debit Not much help there as far as traveling. HSBC however has been great to me. If time allows get a credit card from them. They are a world wide bank and are easily found anywhere. Phones t-mobile and AT&T are the best ones to have while traveling. Verizon and sprint not so much. DATA usage in Europe is high as hell so watch that while using your phone. The best way to go it to buy a phone from www.mobal.com I have one just for travel. But what do I know I only traveled 286 days last year. These are just some tips IMHO. Oh, also city pass if you rent a car make sure your cars comes with a city pass or the tolls will eat you alive as will cab fares if you use them . Bus and Underground may be your best bet to get around the city.
Enjoy the trip

fastblackmerc
04-20-2010, 04:53 PM
Go to American Express and order travelers checks. Do not use place at the airport for their rate sucks. Use Thomas Cook or order the currency thru your bank. ATM is a no no no on a debit card, exchange rates suck and fees a way high. Call your Credit Card company and given on a few factors they may lock in a rate for you for 2 weeks or so. Also is somebody steals your card info it takes a lot longer to get funds back on a debit card vs a credit card. I bank w B.O.A for debit Not much help there as far as traveling. HSBC however has been great to me. If time allows get a credit card from them. They are a world wide bank and are easily found anywhere. Phones t-mobile and AT&T are the best ones to have while traveling. Verizon and sprint not so much. DATA usage in Europe is high as hell so watch that while using your phone. The best way to go it to buy a phone from www.mobal.com I have one just for travel. But what do I know I only traveled 286 days last year. These are just some tips IMHO. Oh, also city pass if you rent a car make sure your cars comes with a city pass or the tolls will eat you alive as will cab fares if you use them . Bus and Underground may be your best bet to get around the city.
Enjoy the trip

+1

Buy American Express Travelers Cheques, they are accepted everywhere just like cash. You'll get change back in the local currency.

Motorhead350
04-20-2010, 10:10 PM
Thanks guys. I'll get on it in the morning.

MM03MOK
04-21-2010, 06:15 AM
If you're a member of AAA, you can get pound sterling travellers cheques there. No service fee.

Pick up their travel book and maps too. Free if your a Gold/Plus member.

If you're staying in London and will be using the Tube and buses, best to get a 7-day Travel Card for the duration. Much cheaper, easy to use and you won't have to wait in line to buy tickets. Cheaper to get it before you go so you can use it right away. Not all Underground stops sell them. Ask me how I know!! There's still time for them to mail it to you. You can check out the Zone map to see how far you'll travel but it's probably easiest to pick the Zone 1-6

http://visitorshop.tfl.gov.uk/english/introduction.htm