PDA

View Full Version : Moldy Mildew Odor Problem

fastcar
04-25-2010, 08:18 PM
Gang,

Anyone had this issue? I opened the car up one morning, and it just stunk. I hadn't driven it for a week...

It smelled fine when I brought it out of storage back in March. It's totally weird, and is not going away by itself...

It was under a car cover for the week before I noticed the problem. But, I have been using this car cover for 2 years with no issues. Used it all winter - no problem when I put it on the road. The car cover smells totally clean.

The trunk smells good (which is where I store the cover when it's off the car).

I have not even turned the A/C on yet. The odor is better when the vents are on, because it ventilates the cabin.

I have felt around the rug, and headliner trying to find a wet spot or leak, with no luck.

I hate this problem. When I drive the car, it's the only thing I think about now...

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

fastcar :(

keywords: mold, stink, stinks, odors, issue, musty, must

Mr. Man
04-25-2010, 09:07 PM
Would have thought it was a water issue. Are the back of the floor mats moldy? Do they stink. Don't suppose there is a half eaten ham sandwich under the seat. Do the old nose test and see if you can narrow down the source.

guccijayda
04-25-2010, 09:15 PM
wow this is a rare problem! I would think of mildew or water leakage somewhere in the cabin like you checked. Other than that maybe the burning of some type of fluid under your hood?(antifreeze, etc). Maybe check for leaks where you park at? Not too sure what else I'm sure some experts will chime in on this!

guccijayda
04-25-2010, 09:20 PM
yes def. check for a piece of egg or food that may have got stuck somewhere lol.!!Could b the issue

sconut1
04-25-2010, 09:44 PM
Does the problem get worse when you turn on the car's ventilation system, including the heat or vent settings or is it the same with or without turning on the ventilation system?

sconut1
04-25-2010, 09:48 PM
Whoops...never mind.... I re-read the first post and was totaly going in the wrong direction with this. Was thinking mildew in the evaporator core, but that's probobly not the issue as you say it gets better with vents on, not worse.

JohnPPD
04-25-2010, 10:09 PM
I had a similar problem in a VW before. The weep holes in the bottom of the back doors got clogged with leaves or debris and water couldn't get out of the doors, so it backed up and wet the door panels which had a cardboard like backing. I don't think our door panels are similarly constructed, but it could be a possibility. How about wet leaves under the cowl? Our cars are notorious for that, which can lead to the wacky wipers. Make sure to pick up the floormats and check the carpets under there too. Good luck.

fastcar
04-26-2010, 05:56 AM
Would have thought it was a water issue. Are the back of the floor mats moldy? Do they stink. Don't suppose there is a half eaten ham sandwich under the seat. Do the old nose test and see if you can narrow down the source.

Mats are good. I was hoping there was an old rag hidden under a seat (easy fix!) but no luck. We don't eat in the car ;) or allow anyone else to... Thanks for the try...

wow this is a rare problem! I would think of mildew or water leakage somewhere in the cabin like you checked. Other than that maybe the burning of some type of fluid under your hood?(antifreeze, etc). Maybe check for leaks where you park at? Not too sure what else I'm sure some experts will chime in on this!

No leaks. But thanks for trying...

fastcar :)

JimmyXR7
04-26-2010, 05:57 AM

Mine was a turkey sandwich from the grand kid. If the marauder was covered for a week or more, look for mice stools.

Suggest you put a mask on and vacuum the interior including under the back seats.

The drain holes in my door keep plugging up and need to be cleaned, so check those too.

Jim

Mr. Man
04-26-2010, 11:20 AM
Weep holes in the door, would have never thought of that but if they are clogged and some leaves are rotting in there that could lead to a smell.

LeoVampire
04-26-2010, 11:31 AM
Any chance some small animals made a nest some where and a few of them died?

Also believe it or not Fabreze can be your best friend and they do have an antibacterial one on the market now. This stuff even killed the skunk smell I had in the house after Franky got nailed by one.

SAAAAAC
04-26-2010, 11:31 AM
I had an accumulation of water going on for awhile on the rear passenger side floor. There would be a puddle of water there sometimes after a rain. I cleaned the door "gutters" or "drains" very thoroughly and that seemed to have fixed my issue. Get in there and finger all that junk out of that rubber. You would be surprised what's hidden in there.

tbone
04-26-2010, 12:06 PM
Get one of those moisture absorbers that they use for boats..........

Michael
04-26-2010, 02:31 PM
Hello Fastcar,

Check the top of the drivers side door molding (the door gasket) put your nose close to it or run your finger across the molding groove. I have had this issue with water setting in the gasket and when I opened the door I would get a smell of mildew.

I spread a little bleach with a rag on the top of the door gasket to kill it and has been good ever since.

MENINBLK
04-26-2010, 04:06 PM
Pull up the cowl under the hood where the wipers are.
Check the area where the HVAC box meets the firewall.
Make sure the rubber gasket is in place.
The gaskets tend to shrink over time and pull back from the joint.

You can get a new gasket from FORD but to reinstall
it you will need to pull the entire HVAC box.

I had it done because I was getting water in the right rear passenger floor well
after a heavy rain when the car was parked on LEVEL ground.
My dealer diagnosed it and brought in a water guy to do the repair under warranty
since I had the HVAC box replaced when they did my EATC.

Since then I have had no more leaks.

Matt In Detroit
04-29-2010, 05:04 AM
Towncars of this era were notorious for leaking on the passenger side. These cars have the same construction. The seal under the cowl where it pulls fresh air from goes bad. Ask how i know...As mentioned above, pull the wipers and the black plastic cowl piece and look on the passenger side. Examine where the water path is and see if its clogged, clean it if so. Then determine if your foam seal is bad where the HVAC box meets the firewall. You can pull it all for a 2 dollar seal, pain in the ass job. Or, just use some clear silicone caulk and seal it all up.

Then pull your passenger side doorsill and trim panel and lift up the carpet to see if its wet. Dry it up if so. Actually, do this first, if its all dry under the carpet you dont need to do the above. But if its wet, well, get to work.