PDA

View Full Version : Figured I would show you all some of what I worked on this winter

LeoVampire
04-27-2010, 06:26 PM
2 of my friends have a nice collection of cars that have been keeping me busy with getting them ready to be driven and shown this year.

Right now just took a bunch of pictures of the 380 SL Mercedes that I just finished up and only a couple so far of the 1938 Caddy and only a couple of the 2007 Mustang.

The Mercedes is heading to a show in Rhinback N.Y. this weekend but the caddy isn't done yet as you will see with the nose apart and the dust LOL!!

I will post the pics of the 1969 Pontiac GTO and the 1970 Malibu @ a lator time in this thread.

These are the guys that are making sure I get to Carlisle and have a place to stay there as well as helping me with the Marauder mod fund. They also helped me with the deductable issue when my Marauder was hit earlier this year.

The Mercedes I changed out every single part of the suspension from bushings to shocks springs and more. I had to redo the entire cooling system and brake system plus a full tune up to get it ready to be in shows this year or @ least be able to drive to them.
This car has been in his family since brand new in 1983 but it sat for years and everything was dry rotted and so on.

bawazir
04-27-2010, 06:28 PM
Nice Benz, i like the after market hard top, now that is a classic

ImpalaSlayer
04-27-2010, 06:29 PM
that caddy is badass

LeoVampire
04-27-2010, 06:34 PM
Nice Benz, i like the after market hard top, now that is a classic

Not after market. That hard top goes on the car when the soft top is folded down underneath the rear open up cover. It takes a winch to lift it off of the car when not in use.

LeoVampire
04-27-2010, 06:36 PM
that caddy is badass

That is just 1 of 2 Caddy's and both have a 24 bolt flat head v8.

The other one is a 1936 Convertable also in black. I had to change out the lifters in the 1936 Caddy so it could be driven to the shop doing the new top for it.

Right now the parts are @ a rechroming center like the grill and what not and the 1936 caddy is being fitted for a new convertable top.

musclemerc
04-27-2010, 06:43 PM
Looks like fun Leo. Stay busy!

PhastPhil
04-27-2010, 11:01 PM
Nice cars, good job with them. I really like the Caddy too. Prolly cause I have a 1940 Buick. :D

LIGHTNIN1
04-28-2010, 06:09 AM
Nice cars Leo. I am envious that you got to work on them. Also I am partial to the 380 SL as I had an 1988 560 SL with the same wheels that are on that 380. I thought I was the only one that used those wheels but it seems at least one other person has. Anyway it is a beautiful car. I would still have one but I was too tall for it.

LeoVampire
04-28-2010, 12:37 PM
Nice cars Leo. I am envious that you got to work on them. Also I am partial to the 380 SL as I had an 1988 560 SL with the same wheels that are on that 380. I thought I was the only one that used those wheels but it seems at least one other person has. Anyway it is a beautiful car. I would still have one but I was too tall for it.

The rims are original on the Mercedes and the car only has 40,000 miles on it it's a 1983.

But he really wants to get the 1936 Caddy back to take that to the shows with the cut off dates. Right now he is settling for the Mercedes seeing it is now go to go and ready for the trips.

The inside of the car still looks like it just came off a show room floor.
I need to take some pics of it on the inside and post them.

But they are basicly just a 2 seater car even though it has a make shift rumble seat in the back I would not want to sit on :lol:

The Caddy on the other hand is a monster for room on the inside.

rayjay
04-28-2010, 04:05 PM
Love the Stang! I know where there is a NIB King Snake and I can get it for sticker, but the Beep won't let me part with the DTR.

LeoVampire
04-28-2010, 04:12 PM
Love the Stang! I know where there is a NIB King Snake and I can get it for sticker, but the Beep won't let me part with the DTR.

Before I got my hands on that Mustang he had already done the Kenny Bell S/C and had the dyno done and the numbers were 445 RWHP and 405 torque and running rich enough to blow out smoke out the tail pipes each time he jumped on it.

It's now pushing 498 Horses and 459 in torque so his grin factor is off the scale every time he takes it out and no longer running rich like it was before.
Thanks to Janetty Racing for the dyno use and equipment for the tunning after the work.

Next step is headers and 31 spline shafts and a new locker for the rear end but that will be this comming winters project when it is done being used.

That car has only seen rain 3 times since he bought it in 2007

Anyways here is what the HP and TQ gains came from. After I cleaned up the heads this is what I found inside of them.

As you can see they are very far from being a smooth channel bore inside of the valve chambers and the restriction to me was absolutly horable and there was loads of carbon build up due to the ruff area inside.

Now you can see the difference after I did the work to the valve porting just with the mic alone in the chamber before and after is example enough.

LeoVampire
04-29-2010, 08:58 AM
And here are the end results of the heads.

This is what I was trying to explain to that guy in the other thread about wanting to put on a larger throttle body and why that is not going to work the way he wants and a waste of money till you look deeper into the problem.

Unfortunatly due to clearance issues there was no way to shave down the heads to gain more compression as well plus I figured with the S/C set up on it there was no need to try and take a chance anyways.

TAKEDOWN
04-30-2010, 09:23 PM
LOL... You show us pictures of several cool vehicles from a car show and a trophy that was given to you based on your MARAUDER, but n0 MARAUDER! Now there's several m0rE pictures ^^^ and n0 MARAUDER, but you post gruesome pictures of a damaged MARAUDER that some P.O.S reversed into. You're killing me over here LeoVampire. Do me a favor and sneak in a couple of MARAUDER shots with the collection cars. Thank You-Sincerely, TAKEDOWN

LeoVampire
05-01-2010, 09:52 AM
LOL... You show us pictures of several cool vehicles from a car show and a trophy that was given to you based on your MARAUDER, but n0 MARAUDER! Now there's several m0rE pictures ^^^ and n0 MARAUDER, but you post gruesome pictures of a damaged MARAUDER that some P.O.S reversed into. You're killing me over here LeoVampire. Do me a favor and sneak in a couple of MARAUDER shots with the collection cars. Thank You-Sincerely, TAKEDOWN

This thread is about vehicles I worked on over the winter months that belong to a couple of guys. I just need to take more pictures of the other cars that was part of the work load.

None of the cars I am showing in here are mine just cars I am working on and or did work on.

I am going to a car show/cruise today and I will take pictures of her @ the show along with Jerry's chevelle because he is going with me to it.

Before now I could not work on the Marauder in the winter time she was stored outside for 5 years and never driven or moved in the winter. My work had always been done once winter is over. This year will be the first year I can work on her in the winter but it all depends on money and parts.

TAKEDOWN
05-01-2010, 01:58 PM
LeoVampire, I'm just giving you a hard time, but I am requesting more photos of your MARAUDER, cuz' I'm loVin' it!

LeoVampire
05-01-2010, 10:26 PM
LeoVampire, I'm just giving you a hard time, but I am requesting more photos of your MARAUDER, cuz' I'm loVin' it!

No problem and just for you!

http://mercurymarauder.net/forums/showpost.php?p=904975&postcount=2

sailsmen
05-02-2010, 06:55 AM
It is amazing what you are able to accomplish, very inspiring.:)

MMBLUE
05-02-2010, 07:02 AM
Leovampire, I am absolutly lovin the stenciled MM Godshead you have on the under hood padding. I want that stencil please:bows: Or, howd ya do it?

LeoVampire
05-02-2010, 09:38 AM
Leovampire, I am absolutly lovin the stenciled MM Godshead you have on the under hood padding. I want that stencil please:bows: Or, howd ya do it?

Not stenciled @ all. It is all custom embroiderd work.

Orderd one for the trunk and the Hood both. I just havnt installed the trunk one yet the 3m velcrow did not hold so I have to buy some normal push pin holders and drill some holes to make that part of it happen.

Here is a pic of the trunk piece. Got them from Car Motor sports I told them what I wanted and they made it happen and because I bought them both at the same time I got a good discount from AJ.

Black_Out
05-02-2010, 10:10 AM
Good stuff, lovin the custom embroidery work!

1stMerc
05-02-2010, 10:31 AM
Not stenciled @ all. It is all custom embroiderd work.

Orderd one for the trunk and the Hood both. I just havnt installed the trunk one yet the 3m velcrow did not hold so I have to buy some normal push pin holders and drill some holes to make that part of it happen.

Here is a pic of the trunk piece. Got them from Car Motor sports I told them what I wanted and they made it happen and because I bought them both at the same time I got a good discount from AJ.

Are you talking about the adhesive on the 3M velcro? If so that's understandable, doesn't like the heat. Get some automotive Goop, to apply to the mounting side of the velcro. Once cured holds up to anything.
http://www.eclecticproducts.com/_images/adhesives/Automotive%2037oz.jpg

LeoVampire
05-02-2010, 11:05 AM
Are you talking about the adhesive on the 3M velcro? If so that's understandable, doesn't like the heat. Get some automotive Goop, to apply to the mounting side of the velcro. Once cured holds up to anything.
http://www.eclecticproducts.com/_images/adhesives/Automotive%2037oz.jpg

Yep and thanks for the info but I think I am going to stick with the push pin plan now to make it match the Hood Linner set up and make it easier to remove the linner if I ever have to get at the wiring on the trunk lid without taking a chance on damaging the linner going on and off the trunk.

Motorhead350
05-03-2010, 07:29 AM
My mom has a 1988 560SL in mint condition.

You have a PM!

SILVERSURFER03
05-03-2010, 07:54 AM
im in on the caddi .............................. ... SWEET

LeoVampire
05-03-2010, 11:40 AM
My mom has a 1988 560SL in mint condition.

You have a PM!

Answerd your P.M. It is a pita getting parts for Mercedes to say the least. I have been stuck with 3 avenues so far. Foreign auto parts in CT, Mercedes it's self and salvage yards.

Some normal parts store's do carry stuff but not all if it is a direct match or meets the specs for Mercedes. Ran into that problem with an upper radiator hose had to go through Mercedes.

Foreign Auto Parts had shocks and all the brake stuff I needed that matched OEM specs @ a much lower cost than Mercedes it's self.

Had to go to Mercedes for the pressure line's on the power stearing system unfortunatly I heard a lot of :mad2: and :censor: on that one.