PDA

View Full Version : What to do in London?

Motorhead350
05-03-2010, 09:06 AM
My trip is only a few weeks away. I'll have probably two days to have fun and that's it.

What should I do? What should I see?

Haggis
05-03-2010, 09:10 AM
The Tower of London.

Rocknthehawk
05-03-2010, 09:14 AM
hard rock "vault"

not sure how to get passes....I was there for guinness world records...obviously myself and the women with the longest fingernails got some attention while eating dinner at the hard rock cafe....someone working there gave us some passes and told us to check it out.

i have pics somewhere of my mom holding one of jimi's guitars, and a bunch of other really awesome stuff. def worth checking out.

if you're up for sightseeing, the london eye is pretty cool. the wax museum was OK, but not worth the money. ride on the tube once. see big ben.

CBT
05-03-2010, 09:18 AM
You should have asked Jr. when we were in Louisville, she has been. She liked the gigantic Ferris wheel they had. I think it's called the London Eye.(I sent her on a trip thru England, Scotland, Ireland, and Wales.)

FordNut
05-03-2010, 09:24 AM
hard rock "vault"

not sure how to get passes....I was there for guinness world records...obviously myself and the women with the longest fingernails got some attention while eating dinner at the hard rock cafe....someone working there gave us some passes and told us to check it out.

i have pics somewhere of my mom holding one of jimi's guitars, and a bunch of other really awesome stuff. def worth checking out.

if you're up for sightseeing, the london eye is pretty cool. the wax museum was OK, but not worth the money. ride on the tube once. see big ben.

Yep, the original HRC, and if you can get in to the vault it's great.

Big Ben, Houses of Parliament, Westminster Abbey are all right there together, just outside the door of the Tube station.

Ride the Tube to get around, it's really efficient and has stops right next to all the main attractions.

Make sure and make a stop at Picadilly Circus, even the Tube station there is really neat. I think it has 4 or 5 levels of different Tube lines.

The Tower of London.

And the London Dungeon, yeah it's a tourist trap like place but it's pretty informative.

Watch the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace.

FordNut
05-03-2010, 09:27 AM
Oh, one of the best things you can do is take the city tour on the upper level of one of the double-decker buses. You'll see a little bit of everything and then you can take the tube to places you want to see more of.

Vortex
05-03-2010, 07:22 PM
Imperial War Museum. Get on the "Tubes" (subway) and it is next to the Elephant and Castle station.

MM03MOK
05-03-2010, 07:28 PM
Oh, one of the best things you can do is take the city tour on the upper level of one of the double-decker buses. You'll see a little bit of everything and then you can take the tube to places you want to see more of.
This is a great introduction to the City. I highly recommend it. Gives you a lay of the land.

Harrod's is well worth walking through.

London Walks are a very unique outings. I've done a few of them including one of the two Beatles walks.

http://www.walks.com/London_Walks_Home/Beatles_Walks/default.aspx

Windsor58
05-03-2010, 07:37 PM
Day trip to Windsor Castle.

Tell em I sent ya...

rayjay
05-04-2010, 09:27 AM
Stay out of jail...

Haggis
05-04-2010, 09:30 AM
Stay out of jail...

:lol:

Time to clean the monitor again. Thanks Ray.

Egon Spengler
05-04-2010, 10:05 AM
ride on the tube once.

That's what she said

:lol:

Time to clean the monitor again. Thanks Ray.
That's what he said...

FordNut
05-04-2010, 12:15 PM
Harrod's is well worth walking through.

Yep, that takes awhile too, a store so big they give out maps. It's kind of like a museum too...

I think there's a shopping area over by Leicester (sp?) Square, lots of handcrafted souvenirs. It's got a bunch of extra letters in the name, they pronounce it more like Lester Square.

Picadilly Circus, Leicester Square, and Trafalgar Square are all pretty close together.

I think there's a market by the Covent Garden station too.

FordNut
05-04-2010, 12:17 PM
The Tower of London.

And the Tower Bridge. It's actually the bridge that guy in Arizona thought he was buying when he bought the London Bridge. You used to be able to go up in it, I don't know if it's still open these days.

quota
05-04-2010, 01:24 PM
You obviously go for Tower Bridge, Harrod's, etc but you take care about where and what you eat.

I advise you try "Simpson's in the Strand" - somehow a true exotic place, more British than British - and "L'Escargot" - smarter and delicious. Book them now if you are interested, the waiting list is generally long. If you like theater, London features top quality spectacles like "Cat's". And care that after 11:00 pm, cabs would be driving on your body rather than taking you for a ride. Also, sympathetic wine bars along the Thames and Classic cars dealers (selling Aston, Jensen, Healey's etc) deserve some attention.

Have fun !
JP

Motorhead350
05-05-2010, 09:01 PM
Thanks guys! I will try to take photos this time.

RF Overlord
05-05-2010, 09:32 PM
Dude, if you do NOTHING else in London, go to Abbey Road Studios...you won't be able to get in, but you can stand right in front and read all the Beatles graffiti on the wall. I expect you to have someone take your picture walking across the famous zebra crossing...barefoot... as proof you went there.

Take the Jubilee line to the St. John's Wood stop. Walk across the street down Grove End Road and take a right onto Abbey Road...the crossing and the studios are right there.

Motorhead350
05-06-2010, 12:10 AM
I'll be working at Abby Road believe it or not. If I was a Beatles fan I'll probably faint, but to me they murdered Rock N' Roll. Plus they didn't record anything I liked after 1964. I'd rather spend a hour cleaning the bathroom at GBGBs than spend a week at Abby Road. Since CBGBs is gone I guess I'll have to do this...

Pictures will be posted!

CBT
05-06-2010, 03:35 AM
I'll be working at Abby Road believe it or not. If I was a Beatles fan I'll probably faint, but to me they murdered Rock N' Roll. Plus they didn't record anything I liked after 1964. I'd rather spend a hour cleaning the bathroom at GBGBs than spend a week at Abby Road. Since CBGBs is gone I guess I'll have to do this...

Pictures will be posted!

Sooooo....you're NOT happy to be going, correct?

dakslim
05-06-2010, 05:52 AM
If you go to the Tower of London, check out Henry the VIII's armor. He was a biiiig man, at least his codpiece is big. Lol. If you don't like heights, skip the London Eye but it does have fabulous views of the city. Go to a pub and drink an Old Speckled Hen ale for me...yum!

RF Overlord
05-06-2010, 06:47 AM
I'll be working at Abby Road believe it or not. Beatles fan or no, you have to admit that Abbey Road is arguably the most famous recording studio in the world, and you get to be IN it...

I hate you SO much right now.

Motorhead350
05-06-2010, 07:04 AM
Sooooo....you're NOT happy to be going, correct?

Oh I am don't get me wrong. It's just going to be no problem at all seeing this as "work".

Black Dynamite
05-06-2010, 09:09 AM
The British Museum is a must and I enjoyed touring the HMS Belfast when I lived there.

JimP
05-06-2010, 03:28 PM
Don't hook up with a drunk English girl, make sure she is sober. These female Brits are like Jekyll and Hyde when they get drunk. She'll hurt you.

Dereck
05-06-2010, 03:32 PM
Stay out of jail...

Hi Rayjay

Don't you mean gaol? ;)

Regards

Dereck

RF Overlord
05-06-2010, 03:49 PM
Dom, try some traditional British food, too:

Bangers and Mash
Bubble & Squeek
Yorkshire pudding
Steak and Kidney pie

FordNut
05-06-2010, 04:10 PM
The only British foods I really cared for are Shepherd's Pie and Fish & Chips.

Vortex
05-06-2010, 07:47 PM

If you add Weetabix cereal and english cheddar cheese to the list, that about covers everything good to eat there.

Dereck
05-07-2010, 01:53 AM

Bangers and Mash
Bubble & Squeek
Yorkshire pudding
Steak and Kidney pie

If you add Weetabix cereal and english cheddar cheese to the list, that about covers everything good to eat there.

Hi Guys

What no Toad in the hole?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/01/Toad_in_the_hole.jpg/750px-Toad_in_the_hole.jpg

Regards

Dereck

Haggis
05-07-2010, 03:38 AM
Don't hook up with a drunk English girl, make sure she is sober. These female Brits are like Jekyll and Hyde when they get drunk. She'll hurt you.

Watch out for female taxi drivers.

dakslim
05-07-2010, 06:04 AM
Watch out for female taxi drivers.

And a strange man wearing a kilt.:P

RoyLPita
05-07-2010, 06:37 AM
Dom, I hope you have a Passport. If you do, how old is it? And, I am not talking about the radar detector.

Motorhead350
05-07-2010, 08:51 AM
Dom, I hope you have a Passport. If you do, how old is it? And, I am not talking about the radar detector.

It's three weeks old. :)

Gordon, I hope the female taxi drivers are more attractive than those in South Bend, IN.

Haggis
05-07-2010, 09:02 AM
And a strange man wearing a kilt.:P

What do you mean by; "a strange man", they're all strange.

nomad
05-07-2010, 05:39 PM
Don't be insulted (or excited,whichever way you roll) if some one offers you a fag.

Do take,borrow,beg a good camera. Which airline are you taking?

CanadaMarauder
05-07-2010, 09:00 PM
If you want to do the "london Eye" make your reservation the day before for around 10-noon, then in the a.m. do your walking around..maybe go see changing of the guards at buckingham palace then take a walk through the park to the london eye.. there will be a huge line and you get to walk right on. Lots to to do.. I do recommend Windsor Castle though..All "as seen on TV" attractions can be done in 2 organized days

scruff
05-07-2010, 09:25 PM

Pictures will be posted! You need to get an education first or else spend the rest of your days cleaning toilets listening to your fav song

Windsor58
05-07-2010, 09:33 PM

Bangers and Mash
Bubble & Squeek
Yorkshire pudding
Steak and Kidney pie

If you try black pudding, just don't ask what it is made of until after you eat it...

MM03MOK
05-08-2010, 05:47 AM
If you want to do the "london Eye" make your reservation the day before for around 10-noon, then in the a.m. do your walking around..maybe go see changing of the guards at buckingham palace then take a walk through the park to the london eye.. there will be a huge line and you get to walk right on. Lots to to do.. I do recommend Windsor Castle though..All "as seen on TV" attractions can be done in 2 organized days
When I was in London during the Millenium celebration in 2000, I bought the London Eye tickets the day before. When I returned in 2004, I bought the tickets 45 minutes before the ride. Even on a cloudy day, it's a treat.

Me on the zebra crossing; London Eye with a girlfriend, Parliament in the background.