PDA

View Full Version : Best Shooter Ever Award

SC Cheesehead
05-03-2010, 11:14 AM
Now THAT's what I'm talking about:

Sniper kills Qaeda-from 1½ mi. away (http://www.nypost.com/p/news/international/sniper_kills_qaeda_from_mi_awa y_sTm0xFUmJNal3HgWlmEgRL)

LIGHTNIN1
05-03-2010, 11:23 AM
Puttin them bad boys in the ground. Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses!:beer:

SC Cheesehead
05-03-2010, 11:48 AM
Puttin them bad boys in the ground. Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses!:beer:

:up:
And justice is the one thing
You should always find
You gotta saddle up your boys
You gotta draw a hard line
When the gun smoke settles
We'll sing a victory tune
And we'll all meet back
At the local saloon...

SILVERSURFER03
05-03-2010, 12:33 PM
1.54 miles now thats a AWSOME shoot ........... UNREAL give that man a metal

SC Cheesehead
05-03-2010, 12:39 PM
1.54 miles now thats a AWSOME shoot ........... UNREAL give that man a metal

For sure! And I thought a 1,000 yds was quite a feat.

LIGHTNIN1
05-03-2010, 03:56 PM
I would like a repeat performance with the same guy using the Barret 416 caliber. Kind of hard for repeat performances on something like that with all conditions being the same. Of course maybe he can promise the 77 virgins to some of these guys if they line up in the desert for him to target practice.:D

SC Cheesehead
05-03-2010, 04:34 PM
I would like a repeat performance with the same guy using the Barret 416 caliber. Kind of hard for repeat performances on something like that with all conditions being the same. Of course maybe he can promise the 77 virgins to some of these guys if they line up in the desert for him to target practice.:D

There you go, incentives! :D

Taemian
05-03-2010, 09:16 PM
Wow, I thought it would be a long time before Rob's record was broken. I still vote for Rob though, since he and his spotter were being engaged by heavy weapons, they were out on an open plain, and below their insurgent targets. Why? Protecting a big group of guys from the 101st Airborne who had nothing to reach out far enough.

Bu they, a dead terrorist is a dead terrorist.

PurdueRifleman
05-04-2010, 02:36 AM
Good shoot! There's a bit of luck when you get into the extreme distances like that, but a kill is a kill!

SC Cheesehead
05-04-2010, 04:25 AM
Good shoot! There's a bit of luck when you get into the extreme distances like that, but a kill is a kill!

For sure. Minute of angle at a mile and a half is pretty significant.

LIGHTNIN1
05-04-2010, 05:43 AM
For sure. Minute of angle at a mile and a half is pretty significant.

Nerves of steel. You want this guy on your side.

CBT
05-04-2010, 05:50 AM
Nerves of steel. You want this guy on your side.
You said it, John. Cause I dang sure don't want him a mile and a half away!

SC Cheesehead
05-04-2010, 06:10 AM
You said it, John. Cause I dang sure don't want him a mile and a half away!

Aiming at me... :eek:

mrjones
05-04-2010, 06:15 AM

I'm sure there is some luck in it as well, but didn't the guy do it two times in a row? Seems to minimize the luck portion of the equation...

Vortex
05-04-2010, 06:21 AM
Just like Burt Lancaster in "Valdez is Coming"!

SC Cheesehead
05-04-2010, 06:25 AM
Just like Burt Lancaster in "Valdez is Coming"!

Yeah, I remember that Sharps.

dakslim
05-04-2010, 06:47 AM
Ooorah!!!!:bows:

PurdueRifleman
05-04-2010, 05:16 PM
I'm sure there is some luck in it as well, but didn't the guy do it two times in a row? Seems to minimize the luck portion of the equation...

You've got to remember that these rounds had been sub-sonic for several hundred yards before they found their mark. Once a bullet passes through the transonic zone, it becomes much more unstable and increasingly less likely (but by no means impossible) to find its mark, regardless of a marksman's skill. The longer a bullet is subsonic, the more erratic its flight becomes. At the ranges these guys were shot the bullet was, in all likelihood, almost dropping down on top of the target as opposed to flying into it.

As for happening twice, sure, I can believe a guy had a little bit of luck riding on those rounds two times in a row. Heck, I once put two 77gr .223 rounds through almost the same hole in the 10 ring using iron sights during the 600yd stage of a high power match. It doesn't mean it will happen every time because there are literally a hundred different variables.

However, without a healthy amount of skill, training, and a suburb spotter he probably wouldn't have even come close. I don't mean to diminish what this soldier accomplished; merely shed some light on the mystique of extreme distance shooting.