PDA

View Full Version : Mercedes repair anyone

Motorhead350
05-03-2010, 08:09 PM
I have to change a pulley on my moms 1988 560SL. It's the A/C compressor I believe. Anyone know how to change this thing? It looks simple, but I wanna make sure I do it right.

Does anyone have a link or anything to this car? I cannot seem to find anything.

Thanks!

fastblackmerc
05-03-2010, 08:14 PM
You'll need a puller to get it off and a tool to put it back on. There are some seals on the shaft and you have to get the airgap right.

LeoVampire
05-04-2010, 10:29 AM
I believe the pully and clutch assembly is all in one as an item to buy.

And fastblackmerc is correct about the seals and air gap. You might have a better chance in finding a rebuilt AC pump for that car than the parts you want and need.

I hope you at least had someone evacuate the system properly first for you instead of releasing it out in the open.

fastblackmerc
05-04-2010, 10:48 AM
And good luck finding R12 freon. You'll need to have a license to buy R12. You'll need to convert it to R134a. I think this repair is out of your league.

LeoVampire
05-04-2010, 10:55 AM
And good luck finding R12 freon. You'll need to have a license to buy R12. You'll need to convert it to R13a. I think this repair is out of your league.

Just to add to what you said do not mix the 2 types of R class Freons together.

They boil @ differnt points and one needs more of a charge than the other. You can blow out something mixing them.

Do a proper evac, vacume and switch to the new R13a once the job is done so you will have no issues down the road if something else needs to be changed.

Seeing it will be opened up change the orifis tube why your @ it.

RoyLPita
05-04-2010, 01:08 PM
R13a? That's a new one. :D

How about 134a? I believe it is a cheaper alternative.

However, if the system is not drained out for this procedure, then you will not need to convert it.

fastblackmerc
05-04-2010, 01:59 PM
R13a? That's a new one. :D

How about 134a? I believe it is a cheaper alternative.

However, if the system is not drained out for this procedure, then you will not need to convert it.

Thanks for the correction Brian!

RoyLPita
05-04-2010, 04:19 PM
Thanks for the correction Brian!

Just here to help (and trying not to act like my screen name).