PDA

View Full Version : Front Plate Holder Removal

wht02lightning
05-12-2010, 08:45 PM
Well as the title says I want to remove the factory front plate bracket. its riveted in and I know you have to drill the rivets out but dont want to do it wrong and mess up my front end. Anyone have any tips on the easiest way to remove and plug the holes?? Thanks

http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq337/saiga20_bama/2010-05-08125737.jpg

Vostok
05-12-2010, 08:47 PM
Mine just came off with a screwdriver?

wht02lightning
05-12-2010, 09:01 PM
Mine just came off with a screwdriver?

I wish it was that easy for me, I have rivets on mine so im thinking I have to drill them off

Vostok
05-12-2010, 09:04 PM
Atleast your allowed to take yours off....Illinois cops are all over that stupid crap. I drove without mine for just a few days one time to test the waters and I got pulled over and got a warning, lol.

wht02lightning
05-12-2010, 09:08 PM
Atleast your allowed to take yours off....Illinois cops are all over that stupid crap. I drove without mine for just a few days one time to test the waters and I got pulled over and got a warning, lol.

LOL, in the great state of Alabama we see no need for front plates :cool4:. too bad I had to go to GA to get my Marauder. We dont have inspection here either, or emissions which was a shock to me when i came here. The no wiating period or class for concealed carry was nice too.

Motorhead350
05-12-2010, 09:24 PM
NICE WHEELS! One of the few sets of aftermarket that look good on this car.

Way cool!

I know there is a "plug" for this, but not sure the source. Many members have done this. You will find out sooner or later.

Matt In Detroit
05-13-2010, 03:20 AM
I drilled out the rivets then bought some little hole plugs at an auto parts store. Painted the head of the plugs car color and pushed them in. Looks real decent.

Got_1
05-13-2010, 04:42 AM
take a small punch and hammer and knock out the center stud in the rivet. then take a 1/4" drill and drill through the center and it will come right off

fastblackmerc
05-13-2010, 05:05 AM
If you post a picture of how the front palte bracket is secured we can tell you how to remove it.

Any competent body shop can patch the resulting holes.b

NYGarageQueen
05-13-2010, 06:41 AM
Doing anything with that plate holder?

Egon Spengler
05-13-2010, 06:43 AM
I have to have two plates on my car and I have a "MARAUDER" license plate to put in the front that I bought off of eBay and I was tempted to put it on and see how long it would take until I got pulled over. There is no way in hell I would be able to totally delete it, but would be nice to put a MARAUDER plate out front.

Vortex
05-13-2010, 07:32 AM
I had the same issue, back in 2004 the dealer had already drilled out the bumper cover and mounted the plate frame with big lag bolts. Anyway, I read a post on here back then about these plugs you could buy from a Nissan dealer, they were for that S2000 sports car and they came in a variety of colors incl. silver. I put them on back then and thats what I have been using since then, no problems. Not as slick as filling/painting but this you can do yourself for about $10 and install in 2 minutes.

FordNut
05-13-2010, 07:42 AM
I had the same issue, back in 2004 the dealer had already drilled out the bumper cover and mounted the plate frame with big lag bolts. Anyway, I read a post on here back then about these plugs you could buy from a Nissan dealer, they were for that S2000 sports car and they came in a variety of colors incl. silver. I put them on back then and thats what I have been using since then, no problems. Not as slick as filling/painting but this you can do yourself for about $10 and install in 2 minutes.

That's good to know. All I knew of were the ones you can get at any auto parts store and they're all black.

justbob
05-13-2010, 07:52 AM
If you do decide to fill the holes then insist on plastic welding.

ctrlraven
05-13-2010, 08:18 AM
The S2000 is made by Honda, not Nissan. Nissan made the 350Z which had no front plate holder so I'm sure they had hole plugs also.

wht02lightning
05-13-2010, 11:29 AM
Doing anything with that plate holder?

No plans as of yet, my state doesnt require them so its yours if you need it.

wht02lightning
05-13-2010, 12:38 PM
well just got her off, was kind of a pain as I was using a cordless drill to drill the holes out, then noticed I was in over my head with the cordless went got a corded and the 3 remaining rivets went off in under 2 minutes. I need to plug the holes now, Guess Im off to autozone/Lowes

Paul T. Casey
05-13-2010, 12:52 PM
Should have just parked it at the hotel I'm at in Athens. Then, late at night the damn Germans wrestling in the parking lot could knock it off with one of their heads like they did mine. :mad:

wht02lightning
05-13-2010, 06:40 PM
Should have just parked it at the hotel I'm at in Athens. Then, late at night the damn Germans wrestling in the parking lot could knock it off with one of their heads like they did mine. :mad:

that might just be one of the strangest stories i have ever heard

Paul T. Casey
05-14-2010, 12:13 PM
that might just be one of the strangest stories i have ever heard

Huntsville Germans.

dakslim
05-14-2010, 02:48 PM
Huntsville Germans.

Musta been Rex!:P