PDA

View Full Version : Just Remember This When Someone Tells You Airport Screening is a Waste of Time

N40GL
05-18-2010, 08:44 AM
UR8183/SJ/AIRPORT SECURITY INCIDENT: TSA personnel at San Juan International Airport, detained Jose Pol who had a one way ticket to Boston, after they detected four box cutters, two lighters, one pepper spray container, one stun gun, ½ a dozen batteries with a button device giving an electric charge when pressed, three boxes of matches, switch blade, scissors and NYC information cards, in his carry on luggage.

(No secrets here - this was open source reporting)

My personal opinion is that ole' Jose here is a Boy Scout, working on some bizarre South American merit badge.

(Most of you know where I work, and I hear this stuff all the time.)

Vostok
05-18-2010, 08:47 AM
kinda scary...

Ms. Denmark
05-18-2010, 08:48 AM
We are still very vulnerable. Thanks for the sobering reminder Mark.

Motorhead350
05-18-2010, 08:54 AM
Great. Just day's before I gotta hop on a plane.

fastblackmerc
05-18-2010, 08:56 AM

They caught the guy BEFORE he got on the plane.

mrjones
05-18-2010, 09:19 AM
I would never complain about airport screening, if done properly. They should screen people who fit a certain profile, or act in suspicious manners. Screening people randomly provides no or very little security.

How about we screen those people who fit the profile of people who are trying to do harm to us, and quit worrying about hurting their feelings?

N40GL
05-18-2010, 09:25 AM
. . . Screening people randomly provides no or very little security. . . .

Wanna bet? There's a whole lot more to the 'random screening' than meets the eye. Ask me next time you see me in person.

dakslim
05-18-2010, 09:28 AM
(No secrets here - this was open source reporting)

My personal opinion is that ole' Jose here is a Boy Scout, working on some bizarre South American merit badge.

(Most of you know where I work, and I hear this stuff all the time.)

As a member of the ACLU:shake: I think that we should give him the benefit of the doubt. Not!!!!

CBT
05-18-2010, 09:31 AM
As a member of the ACLU:shake: I think that we should give him the benefit of the doubt. Not!!!!
Anti Christian Liberties Union....

martyo
05-18-2010, 09:59 AM
Wanna bet? There's a whole lot more to the 'random screening' than meets the eye. Ask me next time you see me in person.

Yep.

I would rather be inconvenienced than blown up any day.

megaforcer
05-18-2010, 10:27 AM

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hCvv32n1mog&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hCvv32n1mog&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
http://mercurymarauder.net/forums/%3Cobject%20width=%22480%22%20 height=%22385%22%3E%3Cparam%20 name=%22movie%22%20value=%22ht tp://www.youtube.com/v/hCvv32n1mog&hl=en_US&fs=1&%22%3E%3C/param%3E%3Cparam%20name=%22all owFullScreen%22%20value=%22tru e%22%3E%3C/param%3E%3Cparam%20name=%22all owscriptaccess%22%20value=%22a lways%22%3E%3C/param%3E%3Cembed%20src=%22http ://www.youtube.com/v/hCvv32n1mog&hl=en_US&fs=1&%22%20type=%22application/x-shockwave-flash%22%20allowscriptaccess=% 22always%22%20allowfullscreen= %22true%22%20width=%22480%22%2 0height=%22385%22%3E%3C/embed%3E%3C/object%3E

Dereck
05-18-2010, 10:41 AM

Hi Motorhead350

I would be more worried about volcanic dust from the Icelandic eruption than a terrorist attack.

Regards

Dereck

Egon Spengler
05-18-2010, 10:42 AM
They pulled me out of line randomly... Any reason to that? I was wearing a Fire Department shirt for my department. Could it be because I had a one way ticket from MA to CA?

fastblackmerc
05-18-2010, 12:41 PM
They pulled me out of line randomly... Any reason to that? I was wearing a Fire Department shirt for my department. Could it be because I had a one way ticket from MA to CA?

One way ticket.

Paid for ticket with cash.

No luggage

All are reasons for additional screening.

The only thing I don't like with the screening is that it's not consistent.

I been through many airports and the screening process is never the same.

Egon Spengler
05-18-2010, 12:45 PM
I had gone through many times before with one way tickets because my job didn't have a set return date (get the job done then come home), so it was always one way. I guess that is the only reason I can think of that I would be searched. In 7 months I flew to CA and back about 8 or so times and it was one of the last times I flew that I got the additional search. It wasn't anything serious, just the guy that has the wand went over my body. I didn't mind because it made me feel that much more safe, but at the same time it felt kind of wasted because I know I am a law abiding citizen and look like one... but I know that looks can be deceiving!

Phrog_gunner
05-18-2010, 12:46 PM
The only thing I don't like with the screening is that it's not consistent.

I been through many airports and the screening process is never the same.

Couldn't that also be a good thing? If you don't know what to expect, then it might be harder to thwart the checks? Just put aside for a second the fact that is a gov't contract to the lowest bidder and all.

fastblackmerc
05-18-2010, 12:48 PM
I had gone through many times before with one way tickets because my job didn't have a set return date (get the job done then come home), so it was always one way. I guess that is the only reason I can think of that I would be searched. In 7 months I flew to CA and back about 8 or so times and it was one of the last times I flew that I got the additional search. It wasn't anything serious, just the guy that has the wand went over my body. I didn't mind because it made me feel that much more safe, but at the same time it felt kind of wasted because I know I am a law abiding citizen and look like one... but I know that looks can be deceiving!

Looks can be deceiving..... LOL!

That 80+ year old Grandma walking with a cane sure looks like a terrorist to me!

Egon Spengler
05-18-2010, 01:00 PM
Looks can be deceiving..... LOL!

That 80+ year old Grandma walking with a cane sure looks like a terrorist to me!
I'll tell you, there were a few flights with "shady" looking characters on it where I was mapping out scenarios in my head and how I would kill that that person myself if things went bad! haha... Definitely didn't fall asleep on those flights!