PDA

View Full Version : F1 in Austin??????

Vortex
05-25-2010, 08:40 PM
Read that today in several sources. I thought it was some sort of late April Fools joke but looks like its for real. First somebody is going to have to build a very expensive facility on some already expensive Hill Country land (taking into account the big time fight you can expect if they put it in the real Hill Country on top of the Edwards Aquafier). Otherwise, it may be further east, out where the land flattens out (and gets cheaper). Im wondering if this will ever get off the ground? I wish they would just use Watkins Glen (and Im a Texan).

Black Dynamite
05-26-2010, 04:10 PM
Well, I'm a huge Formula 1 fan and I'm just glad to see a US Grand Prix again wherever they hold it. I'd be all for having it back at Watkins Glen like they did back in the 70's. The problem is that Watkins Glen is not FIA approved and would likely require an enormous sum of money and years to bring it up to FIA standards. The only track in the US that is FIA approved right now is the Indianapolis Motor Speedway which hosted the USGP from 2000-2007. Quite frankly it isn't very good as it doesn't convert to a road course very well. Personally I'd like to see them use Leguna Seca or Road America.:beatnik:

N40GL
05-27-2010, 02:18 PM
Remember when they ran on Belle Isle in Metro Detroit? They could build a street circuit for this race.

jdando
05-29-2010, 09:00 AM
Remember when they ran on Belle Isle in Metro Detroit? They could build a street circuit for this race.

I forgot about that one! I remember lots of Indy car there. As for Austin, I would prefer upgrading an existing track rather than building a new track at great expense. Laguna Seca or Road America seem the better choices to me.

jdando
05-30-2010, 09:48 AM
Well I was shocked to hear this!
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2010/5/10824.html

Maybe a roadtrip to Austin should be planned?