PDA

View Full Version : Tech help in trying to install a 4 barrel Holly carb on a Ford 289

1of327
05-31-2010, 05:37 AM
First I would like to Apologize....for the ill concieved forum topic that asked for donations....but that leads me to my next question...

I know that it has been some time since I have graced this forums presence, but I need tech help in trying to install a 4 barrel Holly carb on to a Ford 289... The car that has replaced my "LILITH" is a 1967 FORD FAIRLANE 500 ,
bone stock initially, but now I am trying to wake up its true potential. THe carb and intake are mounted but I can't figure out where some of these vacuum lines go, It's justs a Big Ol'e Mess!!!!:shake:

Is there anyone in the Overlea area that could help?:bows:

TooManyFords
05-31-2010, 05:57 AM
If I remember correctly, there should be only one vacuum line; from the carb to to the distributor. On the plate below the carb, or on the intake, there is a large port that goes to the brake booster. There might also be a small vacuum tree on the intake for other devices inside the car that can use it. I had a 67 Fairlane, R code 427 no less, but that would have been slightly different than a 289 setup.

MM03MOK
05-31-2010, 06:03 AM
Moved to The Lounge and changed the title to attract assistance with your question...

1of327
05-31-2010, 06:08 AM
Thank u mary

martyo
05-31-2010, 06:08 AM
New Intake, new carb.

You may have to fiddle with the throttle linkages a bit.

Not a huge deal.

I just did this swap on my '66 Fairlane wagon in the late winter. Car runs well, but if you are expecting a huge power difference, you may be dissappointed.

As john points out, get your vacuum lines straight or you may have problems.

1of327
05-31-2010, 06:13 AM
Its an old school Holly that has a ton of vacuum ports....I'll take some pics and show u what I mean....

a_d_a_m
05-31-2010, 06:47 AM
DISCLAIMER: I'm going back to my Chrysler Cordoba days here. While I am basing a lot of this on memory, I did double check a couple things on the intarwebz and in the ol' pictures from under the hood of the 'doba. Either way, please please please, be careful in your installation, don't take this all as gospel. I'm a shadetree mechanic at best. (But my Cordoba ran great once I re-routed all my vac. lines and stuff.)

ANYWAY...
If you have a vacuum-advance distributor, that vac. line will be the important one. If you have that, you need to find out if you need "timed" vacuum or full-time vacuum. If you need "timed" vacuum (i.e. not a lot of vacuum when the car is idling, more vacuum when the engine is under load), you should connect the line from the distributor to the "timed" vacuum port. Should be on the passenger side of the carb near the choke linkage...looks a little somethin' like this:

http://images.loqu.com/contents/145/818/image/2010-04-03/35.jpg

For the other lines that you may have to run, or if your VA-distributor needs full vacuum...you can obtain full-time vacuum from your brake booster -BUT- it's generally better to get it from your intake manifold. You can do this two ways:

1. The non-timed ports on your carburetor provide "intake vacuum", i.e. full-time vacuum.
But........................... ....if the ports on the carb. be all committed to other lines you can go with option #2...
2. There should be some places to install fittings on the intake. Fittings might be a "T"-style, or might look something like this:
http://www.ecklers.com/images/vette/36956.jpg

Other than that, EGR, PCV, trans kickdown, etc. are the big ones that come to mind. My Cordoba, being a smogger, had several vacuum lines. Kinda looked like a bird's nest on top of the motor :shake: until I flat deleted some stuff.
The carb. on my Cordoba ended up having a couple extra vacuum ports, which I capped off.

I'm assuming you didn't mark or tape the vacuum lines as you were removing them...? :D

thathotrodlincn
05-31-2010, 08:01 AM
If memory serves me, the small port above the idle adjustment is the vacuum advance, the other small on the base plate is for the egr, and the large is for the pcv. Any not used may be capped. Lots of luck.

TooManyFords
05-31-2010, 01:16 PM
Don't forget, if it is an automatic you need manifold vacuum for the tranny vacuum modulator.

a_d_a_m
05-31-2010, 02:06 PM
Don't forget, if it is an automatic you need manifold vacuum for the tranny vacuum modulator. Can't remember what it's actually called, you're probably right or at least closer to the truth than I was.

trans kickdown

TooManyFords
05-31-2010, 02:42 PM
Not probably. Am. :D

a_d_a_m
05-31-2010, 03:02 PM
I need some ice for that burn!

TooManyFords
05-31-2010, 03:24 PM
Lol!!
:D

TooManyFords
05-31-2010, 03:25 PM
Mods: Can we please get the 10 character minimum removed?

a_d_a_m
05-31-2010, 03:35 PM
Mods: Can we please get the 10 character minimum removed? +1, all it does is lead people to do "1234567890" or "............" to get the minimum character count.

1of327
06-02-2010, 04:58 AM
Got it to start... not long enough to put a timing light to it, but it ran.... Now I have another issue..........Peanut butter in the oil pan!!!!! Time for a teardown!!

Leadfoot281
06-02-2010, 12:20 PM
.. Now I have another issue..........Peanut butter in the oil pan!!!!! Time for a teardown!!

Creamy or chunky?

1of327
06-08-2010, 06:36 PM
well... based on the fact that it has been untouched ( Gasket wise) and has numerous oil leaks... I pulled the trans and engine out. Trans is done, and now I'm working on passenger side cylinder head, valves, etc. It's gonna be a blast. Any Local help would be lovely.
4511 Forest view avenue
Baltimore, MD 21206
Holla!!!!