PDA

View Full Version : R. Lee Ermey

dakslim
05-31-2010, 05:38 PM
RIP SSgt. R. Lee Ermey, 1944-2010
http://www.nrahq.org/law/competitions/npsc/graphics/ermey.jpg (http://www.nrahq.org/law/competitions/npsc/graphics/ermey.jpg)
It's with a heavy heart that I find myself writing this about someone I've admired for many years. Ever since "Full Metal Jacket", R. Lee Ermey emboded the image of a hard-ass Marine for most of us. He was a person whose personal life was as interesting as the characters he portrayed. Serving in the Marines from 1961-1972 as a staff seargent, he was later given the honorary rank of gunnery seargent because of his ongoing support of military personnel everywhere, and because of his gritty portrayal of Gunny Hartmann.
He had a decorated career before being medically retired in 1972 because of the numerous injuries he sustained in his years of service. Ermey's service awards can be seen here:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/04/ErmyMeds.jpg (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/04/ErmyMeds.jpg)
<<ATT529663.jpg>>
Ermey succumbed to complications associated with pneuomonia at 3:14 AM at his home in San Diego. His nearly sixty film appearances will continue to inspire and cement his legacy for many years to come.
Give 'em hell, Gunny!

Blk Mamba
05-31-2010, 05:39 PM
I thought this was proven to be a hoax on Sat.

dakslim
05-31-2010, 05:46 PM
I thought this was proven to be a hoax on Sat.

Don't know...just got this email from another Marine. I can't find anything on the net about him dying so maybe it is and if so I apologize.:(

a_d_a_m
05-31-2010, 05:49 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._Lee_Ermey

Still shows him alive.
And yeah, I see nothing to confirm this.

Phrog_gunner
05-31-2010, 05:56 PM
Ermey succumbed to complications associated with pneuomonia at 3:14 AM at his home in San Diego.

Seems to be a scam to me, there is also a bank scam going around. You should send me your debit card number and PIN so I can make sure your account hasn't been compromised.

MM03MOK
05-31-2010, 06:23 PM
His own website isn't noting his passing...

http://www.rleeermey.com/about.php

justbob
05-31-2010, 06:51 PM
I surely hope everything is all good with him, He is one of the great ones that scare the crap out of me still today along with Deniro, Eastwood, Nicholsen......

Blackened300a
05-31-2010, 07:26 PM
Internet hoax. Plus we share the same Birthday so I keep track of these things. :D

guspech750
05-31-2010, 08:34 PM
Dead or alive. He is truely an amazing American!!!

Vortex
05-31-2010, 08:42 PM
Hoax. Total BS. Please double check before posting death stuff.

SpartaPerformance
05-31-2010, 08:57 PM
Thank God he's still alive. OOOOORAH!!!

BAD MERC
05-31-2010, 09:09 PM
Lee Ermey would not pass away without telling each and every American goodbye.

Egon Spengler
06-01-2010, 04:40 AM
There should be R. Lee Ermey facts instead of Chuck Norris facts! This guy is tougher than Chuck Norris!

Blk Mamba
06-01-2010, 05:36 AM
^^^^^...and he's a wussy compared to Chesty Puller.

dakslim
06-01-2010, 07:26 AM
Internet hoax. Plus we share the same Birthday so I keep track of these things. :D

Yeah, I'm three days older than he is. We served at the same time but never met him.

Black Dynamite
06-01-2010, 08:35 AM
^^^^^...and he's a wussy compared to Chesty Puller.

Aint that the truth!

Phrog_gunner
06-01-2010, 09:01 AM
I knew a Marine who's uncle was also a Marine and one day he (the uncle) was walking back to Quantico after liberty and a car pulled over to give him a ride, it was Chesty.

Whether the story is true or not, I still would have probably shat myself if that turned out to be Chesty trying to give me a ride.

dakslim
06-01-2010, 09:06 AM
I knew a Marine who's uncle was also a Marine and one day he (the uncle) was walking back to Quantico after liberty and a car pulled over to give him a ride, it was Chesty.

Whether the story is true or not, I still would have probably shat myself if that turned out to be Chesty trying to give me a ride.

Me too...but that's the way he was I've always heard. Always took care of his Marines.

BTW, does your girlfriend have problems with her eyes?:confused: Way too good looking to be with you.:beer:

Egon Spengler
06-01-2010, 09:14 AM
BTW, does your girlfriend have problems with her eyes?:confused: Way too good looking to be with you.:beer:
Pics or it isn't true...

Phrog_gunner
06-01-2010, 09:15 AM
Me too...but that's the way he was I've always heard. Always took care of his Marines.

Yeah, the rest of that story is that it was raining (why he was so glad to get a ride that day) and when they pulled up to the Quantico gate the Private didn't have rain gear so Chesty called for the Sgt of the Guard to come to the gate, and then made him stand there in the rain until the Pvt went back, changed into dry clothes and got his rain gear.

I've been trying to stall her plans for getting eye surgery until after I can get a ring on her finger. ;)

dakslim
06-01-2010, 09:24 AM
Pics or it isn't true...

It's true...if I was only um, thirty years younger and better looking I'd have a chance.;)

Egon Spengler
06-01-2010, 09:26 AM
It's true...if I was only um, thirty years younger and better looking I'd have a chance.;)
I can't believe you... You are old and senile... I need proof

Phrog_gunner
06-01-2010, 09:29 AM
Pics or it isn't true...

I saw this and it made me think of you

2. volunteer firefighter: Volunteer firefighters are known for their snobby attitudes and their feeling of self worth. They get their kicks by walking around a fire department, never actually doing anything, yet still feeling like "they're on the team." What makes them noticeable in public is their walkie talkies which alert them of fires which they wont be able to fight since they are not real firemen. Volunteer Firefighters are also commonly found as boy scouts, another low in our society associated with gay sexuality.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=volunteer%20fi refighter

Egon Spengler
06-01-2010, 09:31 AM

2. volunteer firefighter: Volunteer firefighters are known for their snobby attitudes and their feeling of self worth. They get their kicks by walking around a fire department, never actually doing anything, yet still feeling like "they're on the team." What makes them noticeable in public is their walkie talkies which alert them of fires which they wont be able to fight since they are not real firemen. Volunteer Firefighters are also commonly found as boy scouts, another low in our society associated with gay sexuality.

Too bad I wasn't a boy scout and am not a volunteer firefighter... try again...

dakslim
06-01-2010, 09:31 AM

Kapow!!!!!

Egon Spengler
06-01-2010, 09:33 AM
Kapow!!!!!
irrelevant

dakslim
06-01-2010, 09:35 AM
irrelevant

I know. You became a firefighter 'cause you like to play with hoses.:P

Phrog_gunner
06-01-2010, 09:40 AM
Too bad I wasn't a boy scout and am not a volunteer firefighter... try again...

You volunteered to put those lights on your car so you could "play firefighter" in your car. Same difference.

Egon Spengler
06-01-2010, 09:43 AM
You volunteered to put those lights on your car so you could "play firefighter" in your car. Same difference.
Apparently I am the new Dom for you... Maybe I can get you a vacation seeing as how he was unable to...

dakslim
06-01-2010, 09:45 AM
Apparently I am the new Dom for you... Maybe I can get you a vacation seeing as how he was unable to...

Alright guys, step back and calm down.:o

Phrog_gunner
06-01-2010, 09:45 AM

I didn't know he was trying, but seems like he can't can't do much on his own anyways.

Haggis
06-01-2010, 09:52 AM

tick...tock...tick...tock...

Blk Mamba
06-01-2010, 10:11 AM
how many jarheads are in here, damn you can see the tension.

Egon Spengler
06-01-2010, 10:13 AM
how many jarheads are in here, damn you can see the tension.
FYI... this is all in good fun! I wasn't serious! Me and the Phrogger were just kidding around with each other... no tension... carry on!:beer:

Phrog_gunner
06-01-2010, 10:17 AM
FYI... this is all in good fun! I wasn't serious! Me and the Phrogger were just kidding around with each other... no tension... carry on!:beer:

He's really good at helping me relieve my tension.

thathotrodlincn
06-01-2010, 10:28 AM
For those who may be interested, Lewis Burwell Puller (1945 - 1994), a native of West Point, VA was buried on May 25, 1994 at Christ Church, Virginia. He was married to Virginia Hoskins - 3 children Virginia MacLandish, Martha Lee, and Lewis Jr. Virginia Hoskins was the daughter of Dr. Horace Hoskins, brother of Blanche Hoskins, my fraternal grandmother. After his retirement, he lived the remainder of his life in Saluda, VA, in the old Rorace Hoskins home, next door to me.

Egon Spengler
06-01-2010, 10:33 AM
He's really good at helping me relieve my tension.
Phrog, CBT, and I take turns cross country skiing....

Haggis
06-01-2010, 10:35 AM
Phrog, CBT, and I take turns as the Lucky Pierre....

SILVERSURFER03
06-01-2010, 11:01 AM
R.i.p. Gunny

dakslim
06-01-2010, 11:04 AM
R.i.p. Gunny

No, he's not dead! It was an erroneous report.:(

-Matt-
06-01-2010, 11:35 AM
try and ban me hose man!

dakslim
06-01-2010, 11:37 AM
try and ban me hose man!

Huh?:confused::confused::confu sed::confused:

Egon Spengler
06-01-2010, 11:41 AM
try and ban me hose man!
http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordp ress.com/2008/12/funny-pictures-this-kitten-is-confused.jpg

MERCMAN
06-01-2010, 12:02 PM
Matt, I am not "the hose man" but I CAN ban you. You and a few others need to just chill out a bit here on the board. You guys KNOW who you are. Mary and I are getting tired of baby-sitting your posts.